#Employment : Lower wage

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4763 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi GUys,

Not sure I'm in the right place but here goes. Last year, I was made redundant and spent 6 months out of work.

I found a job, which I have been doing now for two months. The salary is hugh enough to take me out of any form of benefit.

I have now been offered another job. The salary is MUCH lower and would put me back into the WTC, HB, CTB bracket. However, it is something I would prefer to do, much closer to home (as in five minutes away, rather than two hours each way), and would make my family life VERY VERY VERY much easier. (I have four kids, one with night terrors that have been going on for three months. This means getting up 4 or 5 times a night. Believe me, you have no idea.....

Two questions;

Ignoring morals, how would the 'authorities' view my decision to lower my wage through choice ? Would there be a problem with claiming these benefits ?

What would you do ? Happy family life with not much money or NO family life with a little bit more money.

By the way, I haven't just had enough of work. I have no intention of sitting at home. This would just make our life so much easier for the next six months or so, until all the kids are at school/nursery, and (hopefully) the night terrors have sorted themselves out. After that, back to the Rat Race.

Thanks.

Rashley

By the time you include travel costs, is there really that much of a difference in salary?

I think they'd have to prove that you've taken a lower paid job just to get benefits. It doesn't seem like you've done that.

1. Don't know. Probably a question for the benefits forum. Off the top of my head, I'd have thought that if you made an application for benefit they look at your present circumstances, not look backwards and start saying, "Ah, well why did you leave that job?" Might be wrong though.

2. I'd look after my family first. With 4 kids, I'd look at getting a vasectomy/spayed ASAP.