Can i get a bad reference?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4765 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, my first post!

I work for a massive Uk company and have been looking for a new job for the last 3 months. I have today secured my dream job and am considering handing in my notice. There, as you might suspect, a catch.

About 4 weeks ago i was suspended for "false reporting"...nothing too complex, just as i hated the job i got really lazy and filled out paperwork saying i had done something that i had in fact not done. No financial element to it and no dishonesty or anything...just laziness through utter hatred of the job!! I am yet to be invited to a conduct meeting and have been offered this job while still suspended.

I guess what i am asking is if i now hand in my notice will a reference say something like "resigned under investigation" or "resigned pending conduct"? Due to the size of the company ( like 100 000 employees ) i imagine the references are standard HR type ones.

I want to hand my notice in tomorrow but am considering not bothering and instead waiting for the conduct meeting to see if i can clear my name and then resign (although i risk being fired then). I just dont know what to do.....

Any thoughts?

A reference could, as you say, say, "Resigned whilst under investigation", or some such thing.

Which, to a potential employer looks like, "Knew they were guilty so jumped before they were pushed".

Is this new job dependant on a reference from the current place?

I'd say, if the new job is in the bag, give your notice. It may well be that they don't persue the matter as you're leaving anyway.

And, as you say, as a large company they may well just give standard references.

Damn. thats what i was worried about. I have the offer letter in hand. But he did say that it was dependant on satisfactory references....looks like im in a bit of a pickle....wish i had have been bothered to complete the damn paperwork now.

If wishes were fishes.

How long have you worked there?

You're suspended at the moment, yes?

Do you have a history of madness, or some other 'discrimination card' you can think we might play?

Well, stress etc a while back but nothing major.

I wonder what would happen if i did not tell them i have a new job and started it while suspended from an existing job. Would that cause more bother? They might then provide a reference prior it been documented that i had resigned....just thinking out loud here.

I have just had another brain wave!

In my line of work it is very common to have complaints and to have those complaints investigated ( i work as an internal investigator ). Obviously i get complaints on a monthly basis and some are investigated.

What about if i lied and said that "yes, i was being investigated but i have been investigated on multiple occasions for different things...its the nature of the job", should my new employer question any aspect of 'resigned under investigation'? would my referee be able to give them more information about the investigation or would the DPA come to the rescue?

It's quite hard for an employer to give a "bad" reference as it has to be accurate so any unproven allegtions are unlikely to be included. They could say for example that your conduct is currently subject to investigation however as they are not required to say anything it is possible that they will choose not to provide a reference at all rather than supply a "bad" reference that could come back and bite them in the butt! The old adage "if you have nothing nice to say....."

It may be that they want you to go anyway without any agro. Maybe you could tell them that you had been offered another job and you would resign if they could give you a good reference.

Hello there.

I can see the points that Dottyspog is making, but I think my view is nearer to Elpulpo's. I'm not legally qualified, but I do know from the forum that information from previous employers or CRB checks have come back and bitten people who have posted on the forum.

The fact that you seem to be regularly investigated is unusual and could help you, but you also said that you did actually 'commit' the false reporting.

I would be more comfortable if you got a few more views here before you take an important decision.

Incidentally, if you feel the point about multiple investigations of yourself is a valid one, do you feel able to tell the new employer?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

well as i am employed to investigate other employees misconduct ( think security ), we get complaints on a regular basis ( just like if i was a cop or something ) so if it were to show up that would be my first suggestion. And the thing i have done wrong is in no way illegal or anything like that...just a company policy ( basically i said i had conducted 3 checks on something when in fact i had conducted only 2...i never even hide this fact and openly discussed it...i just completed the paperwork stating the instead of 2 on a few occasions ).

I am seeking advice from the union today and will try to have a chat with my boss on monday. Im hoping someone at the union can say if the reference will say resigned under investigation or not.