Disabled and problems at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4767 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I have a problem and I am not sure exactly what to do? I have recently become disabled and my employer kept me on their books despite being away for two years which was good of them.

I work in customer service for a company with many employees in a fast paced industry. Upon my return to work, I reduced my hours to seven hours a week,and was placed in an area that was suitable for me where I could work effectively with no major problems. The company has since been bought out, and many other employees have had to make changes in hours, areas where they work etc. ( a lot of unhappy people right now)

My employer is now forcing me to work in an area that is impossible for me to work in by explaining that my hours are not needed at the times I work. I know this reasoning to be untrue because they have replaced me with someone else doing the same job .By now you are probably thinking that, I am being replaced because I am no good at my job, this is not true and quite the opposite. At work we are graded and I score very high.

At the moment, I have a temporary reprieve as I am covering a holiday break in my previous working area which ends this week. Before moving I made the manager aware of my concerns which were noted, and I emailed personel with my complaint who have now stated that, I can stay in my old position if I work in the mornings but this is impossible because the morning work requires a lot of lifting and carrying which as I have a problem with my arms I can't do. So in effect they have given me a choice that I can not accept . Can someone explain what I can do in this situation other than resign?

Hello there. Does you company have an Occupational Health [OH] department? You may need to approach them through HR. These people can make recommendations to your employer about reasonable adjustments that could be made to help your work. Work aren't obliged to follow the recommendations, but having kept your job open for you, they sound better than a lot of the employers we hear about.

Are you covered by the DDA please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi there

In the beginning of my illness Occupational Health were not working to support me but to support my employer ,as I was put under tremendous pressure to return to work despite the fact that I could barely move my arms. They have been made aware quite clearly that I would rather sue them than talk to them as, I still am incredibly angry with them.They have understandably backed off and I know I would explode even if I had the misfortune of looking at them.

Today, I still struggle with my movement of arms, hands and neck and need the slower pace to give me time to concentrate on my movement and the lower work surfaces so that I don't have to hold my arms up too much. The way I am may sound pretty bad, but if I never told you about it you would never know.

I know conditions are totally different elsewhere and I won't be able to cope. I think I am covered by the DDA, so I do not understand why my employer is taking this stance. In realistic terms what does this DDA coverage mean to me. Can my employer say that they have been reasonable by offering me alternative hours in my previous working area?

I do not want to be difficult, because throughout this condition I have tried my best to blend in without drawing attention to my difficulties. To work elsewhere would draw unwanted attention to myself and be unfair to others because I would not be able to do the work.

Do I have any other choices other than resignation? I know seven hours a week is not a lot but now the new employers are only employing people on seven hour contracts, whilst expecting them to make up hours in over time. I also like my job and would find it difficult finding employment elsewhere.