Possible redundancy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4763 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Quick overview:

- Trainee accoutant, 19 months at current firm.

- Two trainees, similar pay and experience (other person here for 4 years, me 19 months)

- Lack of work = one of us must be made redundant. Meeting with boss tomorrow.

I personally wouldn't mind as I'm commitment free and actively looking for other jobs anyway. However, as we are trainee accountants our firm pays the fees for training/exams etc. so we both 'owe' in the region of £2-2.5k. In return for lower pay, I may add.

I think they want one of us to volunteer. Would this change our rights in any way, ie. from compulsory to voluntary?

If they said "you are going, no fees are repayable" I'd sign on the dotted line and move on. However, as they're skint, I'm not sure this will happen. This is my only concern. Anyone have any knowledge/experience in this area?

It's going to happen asap so I'm ignoring the fact that I'm 5 months off stautory redundancy pay. Admittedly, I could stay and they could do the same in, say, 6 months, but who knows.

Hmm, now I have a dilemma. My colleague also likes the idea of redundancy because he feels the same as me.

If we both volunteer we'll be in the same boat, if one of us doesn't and the other does the one who doesn't will stay and be the loser (yes, it's a redundancy situation where both want to go rather than stay).

So, if I say nothing and trust that he hasn't, it'll be down to the boss' decision. How will I know if he has or not.

To risk it or not?!