Getting into trouble at the petrol station....

sam100

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning all.

Have had a read and this forum appears to be full of great advice.

Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction!

A few weeks ago I went to my local petrol station/convenience store (i am choosing to keep this out of the public domain for the time being) on arrival there was a queue for the pumps so I waited my turn. When pulling up to the pump the staff would not switch on the pump. I looked over to the window and saw the member of staff waving towards the pump. I put the pump back on its hook and tried again. The pump was still not switching on.

I went into the shop and queued. When I got to the counter the member of staff (before I even opened my mouth) said rather loudly "ive told you, if you dont take your hat off im not serving you". I was wearing a wooly hat, not unreasonable in the snow!

I asked if I could prepay for the fuel, seeing as Im inside already and don't want to queue again. She refused to serve me!

I understand that motorbikers need to take off their helmet so their face is clearly visible, but a wooly hat?!?! Do people with long hair have to comb their hair back before being served?

I left the shop and drove off, unwilling to be filling the coffers of a shop that clearly does not want my custom.

Understandably angry at this, my wife pointed out that the chap before me was served at the pump with a wooly hat on, and that a pizza delivery rider was served without removing his helmet!!

Where do I stand with this? I was mortified at the time and will not go back there.

I have obtained a copy of the CCTV from the company involved and it supports my account of events.

Im really not happy with this and plan to take it as far as possible. It does not seem reasonable that I should have this policy applied to me and witness it not being applied to those around me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sam

Welcome to CAG sam100.

I know you probably do not want to hear this, but just move on, no point in expending any more of your energies on this.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Thank you both for the quick replies, much appreciated.

A trader is generally entitled to pick and choose who he wants to serve.

Could not agree more with that sentiment, but surely a policy should either be either in force or not?

The purpose of this policy is surely to protect staff from robbery/drive off etc, herein lies my greivance, why me being targeted and not others?

I have asked for an explanation from the company as to why I was selected, but am not holding my breath for a sensible reply. I have a feeling that this is a question that cannot be answered as it would suggest that I was being unfairly treated.

Im really not trying to go down the whingeing "I've been victimised" route, as thats not the purpose of my complaint.

What I do expect is that I am treated fairly and decently when trying to spend my money!

Like I said, any further opinion would be very welcome.

Sam

It's a matter of law, not a sentiment that a trader is generally entitled to pick and choose who he wants to serve.

For a binding agreement to exist, something of value has to be mutually exchanged. A contract could exist if a trader advertised that if you do what he wants you will then be rewarded but I fail to see that this was the case. According to your own account you refused to do what was wanted.

• 1 month later...

This is something that has always annoyed me. Would this petrol station serve someone who was wearing a burka? Yes. I can see how its a matter of security, but should we not all be treated the same.

In the winter I was also told I could not use the pump until I removed my scarf, which was covering half my face but there was a foot of snow on the ground. However, you will find your not in much of a position to complain to a company that does not value you as a customer.

soz but they have to right to refuse to serve but i understand bikers helmets etc but wooly hats lol soz but the assissant was prob annoyed/angry and you got the end of it try again next week she not serve you cos ur white or black lol you must be green to get served or under 16 lol all you can do is put a complaint against the employee which manager prob not do anything

• 2 weeks later...

I deal with this all the time being a biker.

The reason the companies give is not that they fear their staff will be held up, lets be realistic, if someone was going to hold them up the rule of taking off a helmet first would be an easy one to ignore.

The reason they wish bike helmet to be taken off (and hoods down etc) is to ensure the person is over 16, as the use of the pumps is restricted to this.

Now, as you had DRIVEN into the forecourt, your face was uncovered, you politely waited in the line to speak to the cashier, then there really was no need for refusal to put on the pumps.

At least they did not switch the pump on, lost count of the times they have allowed me to take fuel THEN asked me to remove helmet.

If you want to do something, hit them in the pocket. Either by taking your business elsewhere or by occupying every pump with someone wearing headgear, and not moving till the pump is on.

And before anyone says bikers should remove helmets, you try taking off gloves & helmet allowing rain to drip down your neck, then trying to get everything back on so it is comfortable and safe whilst the car behind you is creeping forward to use the pump, or even in one instance where the car driver had draped the hose over my bike to reach his car. He wont do that again!

Whe i worked in a large garage years ago.... we were under rules as well.

ie engine running, doors open.... no petrol.

For these cases we would call them in to prepay, before they got their fuel.