• Tweets

• Hi    The first one was purchased in August 2020 and returned in October. This is the link to the page.    https://www.sweatband.com/proform-pro-1500-treadmill.html   We wanted to research our rights so we were clear on them before going back to the manufacturer or sweatband. The last communication was with the manufacturer who sweatband directed us to and the manufacturer told us the location of the treadmill was unsuitable and we had to move it our it would void our warranty.    I wonder if you could be kind enough to let me know if you think the link above affects our protection under the consumer rights act?    Thank you again  EM0149
    • I notice that you haven't addressed my question as to whether sweatband.com have actually refused to take any responsibility for this now.
    • Thanks! I've had several successes in the past 4 years or so which stemmed from a financially difficult part of my life around 2011/13. Basically I was financially trapped with Quick Quid, in a cycle of increased borrowing, during this I'd opened three catalogue accounts: Studio, JD Williams and Simply Be , 2 credit cards (Aqua and Barclays) and was juggling finances. In that time I had got 2 CCJs plus 2 defaults so things were pretty tight. I was using most of my available credit until things eventually became unsustainable. When I moved house I used the deposit to pay off Quick Quid and got into arrangements to repay the catalogues. The credit card limit was still rising until 2017 when I borrowed the balance of nearly £6000 from a family member and cleared the Aqua card. The Barclaycard had already defaulted. In 2017 I began action for irresponsible lending against Quick Quid. Basically they could not show the criteria they used to make lending decisions  and kept lending to me so I won the case. I was refunded all interest and fees  and charges plus 8% pa. When it was upheld it gave me the confidence to challenge JDW and SB. These were also upheld and they had to repay interest, fees and charges plus 8% from the second credit limit increase which amounted to about £1200 each. I challenged Aqua where my redress covering 6 years fees, interest and charges accrued to nearly £9000.  Barclaycard was not upheld but the default was moved back to an earlier date meaning it expires sooner.  All my IRL cases succeeded because none of these companies could prove that they had diligently checked my financial history. My credit report clearly showed that I was using a high or at limit proportion of available credit and that I'd accrued two unconnected CCJ's and 2 defaults throughout the lives of these accounts. Whether they should have given me the accounts in the first place was also brought into question but it was the sustained but gradual increase of CL's time and time again without proper checks. JDW were unable or unwilling to show the ombudsman what criteria they used. It only appeared that because I paid on time they continued to offer increases where in reality I was actually juggling finances like a fine balancing act.  It would appear that the FOS are looking at catalogue debt as I know when my cases against JDW and SB were being investigated they mentioned this.  My case against Studio should conclude soon. I was curious as to why now Cabot are trying to cut their losses by offering such a hefty discount. I can only summise that Studio are trying to buy back the debt for less.  
    • They have made an offer  Remind them in no uncertain terms that under CONC they are responsible for the conduct of their agents , (research and quote this) and negotiate a payment plan of their offer As dx says we really need all the details to understand the full picture 
    • Ben Gulliver saw a chance to make money, selling items people struggled to get during the pandemic. View the full article
  • Our picks

• Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies
    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5124 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Sean how's things?

I have spoken to the baliff this morning and she told me she had spoken to the halifax and was surprised they had not got back to her as they can,once they have received the warrant,either pay up or pay a fee & file a defence(:eek: ) didn't realise that!

once they agree to pay then they pay the baliff and the baliffs office release the money twice a month so I think it's unlikely that I will receive anything before Christmas even if they don't defend :evil: absolutely gutted. she said that they might just pay it into my account so I said I'd look for a flying pig!

Hope you get on better than I have

Keep in touch

:-| mosessupposes

Halifax claim 1: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 07/05/06

Prelim " 30/08/06

LBA " 22/09/06

MCOL " 11/10/06

Money in account 25/10/06 Settled in full

Halifax claim 2: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 07/05.06

8 years claimed

Prelim " 30/08/06

LBA & offer

rejection " 22/09/06

MCOL " 11/10/06

6 years of claim offered 25/10/06

15/11/06 default filed

16/11/06 warrant requested

Capital 1 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 11/10/06

Black Horse S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 17/11/06

Egg CC/Loan SAR sent 17/11/06

Haliax ERC pre-lim sent 17/11/06

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEY moses,

I did the same and contacted the Bailiff and they are applying for a set aside!!! which I guess means they are going to defend!! Sounds like you may be in with a chance then of getting your money...fingers crossed..:)

So can anyone advise on what happens after a set a side is applied for???

Thanks

Halifax claim £2152 (LBA sent 4th Oct 06)

Halifax Money Claim entered 17th Oct

Halifax acknowledged on 18th Oct

Halifax make full offer 28th Oct.

Lloyds Claim request statements on the 5th October:D

Hi yep that's what she said - that they could apply for a set aside which means they're going to defend they just haven't let her know yet.I think it's just another stalling tactic but it stinks to think they 've already had 28 days why should they be allowed any more.

I reckon they're just trying to ruin as many Christmas's as possible bah humbug!!:mad: everyone knows they wont go as far as the court they're just wasting everyones time

Oh I'm sooo mad!!!!

Prelim " 30/08/06

LBA " 22/09/06

MCOL " 11/10/06

8 years claimed

Prelim " 30/08/06

LBA & offer

rejection " 22/09/06

MCOL " 11/10/06

15/11/06 default filed

will do Lucy best of luck

Prelim " 30/08/06

LBA " 22/09/06

MCOL " 11/10/06

8 years claimed

Prelim " 30/08/06

LBA & offer

rejection " 22/09/06

MCOL " 11/10/06

15/11/06 default filed

Hey Sean,

You seem to have gone a little quiet. I have just receive notice that Halifax have applied for a set aside almost a month after the warrant was issued!

I spoke to the baliff & asked her how come they just don't go in & demand goods to the value of the debt as they would if it were joe bloggs-man in the street as it didn't seem fair & she just agree it wasn't but said it was very difficult to get near the Halifax "it's like fort knox" as there are lots of banks in the same building it would be impossible to do that.So it appears they give them unlimited amount of time to file a defence- I'm absolutely fizzing as 'm sure if it were the other way round I'd be out in the cold by now

Anyway I've had this notification from the courts about a set aside so I guess you just wait to hear about a court date- is that where you're up to?

Let me know what's happening with your claim & if you have any joy

Prelim " 30/08/06

LBA " 22/09/06

MCOL " 11/10/06

8 years claimed

Prelim " 30/08/06

LBA & offer

rejection " 22/09/06

MCOL " 11/10/06

15/11/06 default filed

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jayneuk sorry for the delay but have been back in England for Christmas and have just returned to my laptop.

Well I don't know what has happened with Sean he's not been around for quite some time - I feel a little lonely now going for the extra 2 years without my mate at my side!- anyway as I said I've had a letter from the court- saying the hearing has been set for the end of Feb so I'm just trying to read up & get my head round it all then maybe send a letter to Halifax . I haven't received an AQ or anything so I might phone the courts later will keep updating this post now I'm back on track

Prelim " 30/08/06

LBA " 22/09/06

MCOL " 11/10/06

8 years claimed

Prelim " 30/08/06

LBA & offer

rejection " 22/09/06

MCOL " 11/10/06