Ross & Roberts CTAX debt- advice needed please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I currently pay £50 per month to Ross & Roberts for council tax owed on our previous property. All was running well and I make my payment to them every month on 24th through their online system. In March, I completely forgot the date and made the payment late evening on Friday 25th. I emailed them straight away explaining and then I received an email on 30th saying that my arrangement had been broken as they hadnt received my payment until 29th! I immediately called the baliff who said he would speak to the office and call me back - he didnt so I called him. We had a bit of a row with him saying they hadnt received it and me saying I paid - I have the emailed receipt proving I paid at 22.22 on 25th which is great but I am worried that they will still try and charge me £170 and make me pay more because it was a day late.

I have called them before and asked about my payment being late and they said if it was only a day or two it would be fine. I have no emails to prove this though could look through mobile bill and hope they record their phonecalls..

We go on holiday for a week Monday and the baliff said he will call me on 11th as he is also away but I cant stop worrying about what will happen as I seem to be up to my eyeballs in debt to everyone at the moment and cant afford to pay them anything!

Any advise would be gratefully received.

C x

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]C [COLOR=black]& [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]D :) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC[/B][COLOR=#000000]- Full settlement received & spent! £1,477.93 :-) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=mediumturquoise][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC claim 2![/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - Full settlement offer received 27/06 - £1,116 :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]A&L[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] (for my Nan) - full settlement received on day of prelim hearing - approx £1500 :-)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Halifax[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - full settlement received 30/06 - £2576! :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Barclays[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - Court forms were due to be submitted but he wants to wait for results of the court case with OFT[/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000000][B][COLOR=mediumturquoise]A&L[/COLOR][/B] - (for a friend) - court forms submitted - claim 'stayed' due to OFT case[/COLOR][/FONT]

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are paying why are you paying the leechers?

you should be paying the council direct via internet banking

stop being held to ransom.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The council told me I have to pay through r&r as it was in default (with a court order maybe?). They set up a repayment plan with me which was fine until I paid a day late!

I'd much rather pay the council direct but how do I go back to that?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]C [COLOR=black]& [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]D :) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC[/B][COLOR=#000000]- Full settlement received & spent! £1,477.93 :-) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=mediumturquoise][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC claim 2![/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - Full settlement offer received 27/06 - £1,116 :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]A&L[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] (for my Nan) - full settlement received on day of prelim hearing - approx £1500 :-)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Halifax[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - full settlement received 30/06 - £2576! :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Barclays[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - Court forms were due to be submitted but he wants to wait for results of the court case with OFT[/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000000][B][COLOR=mediumturquoise]A&L[/COLOR][/B] - (for a friend) - court forms submitted - claim 'stayed' due to OFT case[/COLOR][/FONT]

they can tell you what they like!

they cannot stop you paying via internet banking use the details on the back of your CTAX bill.

you really need to do some reading in this forum

you'll soon get the idea.

as there's nowt about this in terms ofhistory that i can find

you need to post us up the story

'cause i bet you've been fleeced by fees

if you phone the council

they will tell you the value of the original LO

then you can see what the fleecers have charged etc etc

read up!

thats what CAG is all about.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

DX is right - you are better paying the council direct via one of their automated systems. Personally, and it's easy for me to say having dealt with bailiffs loads of times either personally or on behalf of other people, I would let the bailiffs continue digging their own grave. I'd write to the Head of Revenues at the council who is more than likely to write back condoning their fees. I'd then let the bailiffs make a few more slip ups before e-mailing the CEO of the council direct, pointing out that you are aware you should be sending it to the Head of revenues but you can't as he appears not to understand the law and is laying the council open to litigation. I would then point out all the areas of the National Standards for Enforcement Agents they have breached and ask the council to take the debt back and call off the bailiffs. I used this approach around 35 times last year and it did not fail once.

Any help needed - shout!

just quick note to concur with ting&dx

Bay-leaves? - "why talk to the monkey when you can talk to the organ grinder"

Yeah, local taxation services offices tend to be lightly undereducated "computer says no" operations

but get 'em to sign for a royal mail recorded delivery letter, and because anyone can find out WHEN they DID receive it

[using the track & trace no. & the royal mail website] & you have effectively the crown as witness to the receipt,

any of their subsequent whacky "rock the boat gently" tactics can seem pretty lame

when you hit the council's [maybe 2nd stage of multistage] complaint process

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Thanks to you all for your replies. R&R have been to my house twice already this week (& its only Monday!). The baliff asked me to send my copy of the receipt to the office so he could have a copy (which I did straight away before i went on holiday) but now he is saying he needs me to print it for him so I have done that today and I will call him tomorrow asking where he wants it sent!

I need to go back to paying the council direct & I will email them shortly asking for a breakdown of the debt that was passed to R&R, I emailed R&R on 3rd April saying:

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges and the current outstanding balance.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were

(although have just realised it also copied a link from CAG about a book for sale re baliff's - how stupid do I look / feel!)

They replied on 4th saying:

Dear Miss

Thank you for your recent e-mail, your comments have been noted on our system.

Please note that we will not be able process your request in the next 14 days. Due to the information that you require and all the files that we hold for you, this will take longer than the time you would like it in.

Your request has been processed and is now being produced, and this will be forwarded to yourself on completion.

Yours sincerely

Ross and Roberts Ltd.

The two weeks is therefore up today and I have had no response. I want to know how much I still owe to them as their automated system doesnt tell me anymore!

Once I have the figures from the council, what do I do next? I am unsure what R&R are doing wrong in terms of fees before this time as surely the council know how much they charge and I thought baliffs were allowed to charge crazy amounts?

Thanks again for all your help.

C

Hello.

Thanks to you all for your replies. R&R have been to my house twice already this week (& its only Monday!). The baliff asked me to send my copy of the receipt to the office so he could have a copy (which I did straight away before i went on holiday) but now he is saying he needs me to print it for him so I have done that today and I will call him tomorrow asking where he wants it sent! If you paid through their system then let their office provide it to him.

I need to go back to paying the council direct & I will email them shortly asking for a breakdown of the debt that was passed to R&R, - see below - I emailed R&R on 3rd April saying:

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges and the current outstanding balance.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were

(although have just realised it also copied a link from CAG about a book for sale re baliff's - how stupid do I look / feel!)

They replied on 4th saying:

Dear Miss

Thank you for your recent e-mail, your comments have been noted on our system.

Please note that we will not be able process your request in the next 14 days. Due to the information that you require and all the files that we hold for you, this will take longer than the time you would like it in.

Your request has been processed and is now being produced, and this will be forwarded to yourself on completion.

Yours sincerely

Ross and Roberts Ltd.

The two weeks is therefore up today and I have had no response. - They are being obstructive - I want to know how much I still owe to them as their automated system doesnt tell me anymore!

Once I have the figures from the council, what do I do next? I am unsure what R&R are doing wrong in terms of fees before this time as surely the council know how much they charge and I thought baliffs were allowed to charge crazy amounts? The Council haven't a clue and believe their precious Bailiffs can do no wrong so therefore everything the Bailiff says must be correct - not.

Thanks again for all your help.

C

Ring the Council and ask:

1 - how many Liability Orders you have

2 - how much each is for

3 - how much is left outstanding - you may get a surprise at this stage

4 - the dates & amounts of payments made

You should also ask if they can see your account with R & R and if so can they tell you what charges have been applied and when. You may also write to the Council asking they take your account back as the Bailiff is being obstructive in supplying a breakdown of charges.

In the meantime I would pay the Council direct either through their website or automated phone. As their charges have probably been deducted already you possibly owe them nothing more anyway.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks PT.. I emailed the council last night but am going to call them tomorrow / Thursday and ask for all of the above.

If Mr R&R comes round my house again, what should I say to him? The default letter he put through my door says that they can enter my house when I am not here and remove goods! Also, I signed a walking possession letter previously but had completely forgot that when the car kept going wrong so I traded it in for something else - will that cause issues? at the end of the day, I needed a car to drive my 30 mile trip to work so it wasnt really an option to keep it!

His letter states I owe about £850 which seems high to me but I do think that the majority (if not all) of this figure is now the fees to R&R as they must have been round over 5 times in the last two years that we have had the agreement!

no they cant enter your house unless your leave a door/window unlocked & you have signed a walkin possession order

[they cannot 'break-in' only enter through an open window or unlocked door - they CANNOT force entry!!]

idle threats designed to frighten you!

this bit about 5 times in two years puzzles me too..

a LO only lasts for 6mts typically,

you must have had more the one

get the info from the council

dont take any rubbish excuses

just get them to answer the simple question on the phone...

how many LO's have you got against me and what are their ORIGINAL SUMS.

dx

and they

Thanks PT.. I emailed the council last night but am going to call them tomorrow / Thursday and ask for all of the above.

If Mr R&R comes round my house again, what should I say to him? The default letter he put through my door says that they can enter my house when I am not here and remove goods! Also, I signed a walking possession letter previously but had completely forgot that when the car kept going wrong so I traded it in for something else - will that cause issues? at the end of the day, I needed a car to drive my 30 mile trip to work so it wasnt really an option to keep it! How long agao did you sign the WPA? What was on it? How many visits have they made since it was signed?

His letter states I owe about £850 which seems high to me but I do think that the majority (if not all) of this figure is now the fees to R&R as they must have been round over 5 times in the last two years that we have had the agreement!

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If Mr R&R comes round my house again, what should I say to him? The default letter he put through my door says that they can enter my house when I am not here and remove goods!

He obviously forgot to tell you as to what circumstances he can come round and force entry, they are forgetful these days.

1 - he will need the permission of the Council - and if they agree

2 - he will need to obtain a Court Order which are very rarely given - and if they agree

3 - he has to write to you and inform you when he is coming

All in all yet another empty threat which will not happen.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PT

Hi.

I will have to dig around in my box of paperwork as I have no idea when I last signed one.. I have lived in my current property for 16 months and they have been here once (before these last visits) but I cant remember why and I dont think I signed an agreement - It would definitely have been over 6 months ago and it contained a tv (which has since been replaced as it broke and the one we have now was given to us by my dad so still belongs to him ;-)), the car (which has also gone!) and our 2 leather sofas which we pay monthly for (and they are in my dads name so again, belong to him!).

C

Hi.

I will have to dig around in my box of paperwork as I have no idea when I last signed one.. I have lived in my current property for 16 months and they have been here once (before these last visits) but I cant remember why and I dont think I signed an agreement - It would definitely have been over 6 months ago and it contained a tv (which has since been replaced as it broke and the one we have now was given to us by my dad so still belongs to him ;-)), the car (which has also gone!) and our 2 leather sofas which we pay monthly for (and they are in my dads name so again, belong to him!).

C

You don't have to sign a Notice of Seizure for it to be legal, signing it gives the Bailiff an opportunity to charge an extra fee. There is more than 1 thought over what you have said about this. Dependent on what you have it can probably be argued that the Bailiff has abandoned his levy. Technically for now the caput car & TV should have belonged to the Bailiff and you should have asked his permission to dispose of them and give him any proceeds - oh what a shame you received nothing. I note what you say about their replacements & as the seating is on credit effectively they have nothing so think this could be safely ignored.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello. My payment to Ross & Roberts is due today but due to a problem with tax credits dropping our payments by £360pm I never had a chance to call the council. R&r haven't been back and the letter I had said my payment plan is void - am I safe to just pay the council direct using their online system and my old ref number (we are with a diff council now).

C

Should be Ok but print out your receipt, I'm sure others will be along soon, and as it is a Bank holiday you could still pay tomorrow after further advice imho

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Can someone please advise what happens if I phone the council and it turns out I have paid the debt and it is only the R&R fees outstanding? Do I still have to pay them or, fight R&R to get them removed? (if so, how?)

I am a bit worried about paying the council direct and fighting R&R if I am honest as I thought that the liability orders meant I had to accept their charges and I am scared to death of them coming to my house :-(

they cannot use the liability order to extort inflated fees

there are varying views that they are allowed to be paid 'lawful fees' [p'haps 2 visits etc £42.50]

but the rest no.

per i'd pay the council anyhow!

if you can pay, thats a payment plan

thats all the council wants

pay them via internet banking with the details on the back of the CTAX bill

dx

and they

That was a genius plan and off I went to my bank to pay it that way but I need a stupid card reader (which I cant find!).. I will pay online now, write to council and R&R Tuesday and from next month, pay through the bank. Cheers

PS. I feel a lot happier about the whole thing since reading the posts here and am hoping that I have paid all but the fees! (still confused as to what happens about them though - do they get written off?)

Damn... cant pay using their online system as it says 'the account number could not be found - please check'.

Hiya. I think I have been paying then for at least 18 months - there were a couple (maybe even 3) liability orders and I have emailed R&R and council for details and am waiting to hear back. the letter I received from the baliff this week said that I still owe them £800 but I have a feeling the majority of this will be fees to R&R as they have probably been round 3/4 times in the period we were paying them. I am going to email the council now to advise I wish to pay them direct and need details of how to pay as my account number doesn't work. I will then expect R&R at my door (again!) next week but I will send them a letter (special delivery) advising that I will be paying the council until all is sorted - I have seen some great letters on here I can adapt.

I am hoping everything I am doing is ok but its scary stuff! :-)

Me again! I have just emailed the council to cover my back saying that I tried to pay them but couldnt and asking if they can take the debt back (I will also write) but should I also email R&R to tell them I have asked council to take debt back and to advise them that I wont be paying them?

post it up here before you send it

points to get across to them

you have been paying this for 18 months

you have never missed a payment

your payment was 1 day late (had R&R allowed to set up a standing order this situation would not have happened)

R&R have cancelled your payment agreement demanding £800

you don't have £800 leaving you no means of paying this debt

you have been paying for 18 months and have never received an annual statement of your account

you have ask for a breakdown of your account however they have to date failed to supply it

The £800 demanded its not broken down into amount outstanding to local authority bailiff fees incurred for bailiff visit

Thanks. I am trying to find out when I started paying R&R - I have emails back to March 2009 regarding paying them so its been over 2 years!! I think originally we paid £40pm and now we pay £50 .. they must be paid by now or be VERY close... Im straight onto the phone to the council Tuesday morning as I am dying to get this sorted.. could do with an extra £50pm :-)