Telewest wont close account.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do Telewest have the right to continue to charge me for a service I no longer want or can afford.

My 12 month joining contract ended 5 years ago.

When i became ill my bills where anything up to £90 a month.

after a while i realised i would not be back to work as soon as i had thought, so I advised telewest of this probem.

I had out standing a £70 bill.

I asked if i could have my services stopped and at this time i could pay £10 to £15 a month and thats at a massive push.

Telewest said they would accept the payments but would never cut my services off while i owed them money and the line rental would continue to be charged.

the line rental + Vat + none DD Charge comes to more than what i would of been paying a month for my old bill.

Which means I would never of been out of debit to them

Its as if they will not let me leave.

My family have now helped and this month I am leaving them ( Yippee)

But it still made me furiouse that this can happen.

Do they have the grounds to do this to people.

Many Thanks

Jules

They can only do this to people who will let them ,

your contract will say you can cancel in writing with one months notice.

Do it .

Stuff what you owe.

Pay them a £1 a month or what you can afford, or let them take you to court.

If they win (what court would give it them) and you have made a best attemt to sort the problem out (what court would give it them).

Just cancel and offer a £1 a week.

D.

Thank you i will, they realy are discussting. They have not got a bill calculated right for the last 6 months since ive been on thier backs and checking my bill.

The way i see it is they make it awkward and i watch them like a hawk.

The over charges are in the rental !! not in the calls.

I was worried as they have the switch, do they break the law once they have recieved my cancelation notice, and continue supply.

you are right about if people let them, years ago i never let any compnay get one over on me.

Now im petrified that the stupid laws in this country that are never to aid people, are stacked against me.

Much thanks

Jules.

There seems to be a growing trend among big companies to threaten to keep billing if they don't get arrears.

If you or an organisation get into dispute, either of you can terminate the contract. This may or may not involve penalties if the contract is (for example) 12 months and you want to get out early - but from the date that you write to them and say "As of now, no contract for services exists between us." they cannot go on charging you.

If they are that desperate to recover costs involved BEFORE the dispute arrives, they have recourse to the courts (though most will sell the debt to a debt collector who will buy it for an absolute pittance and then use whatever tactics they like to pursue it) but they CANNOT continue to charge subscription money if you tell them you are ending the contract.

EDIT: Just to add, I'm not sure but you MIGHT be able to claim if you write to them to tell them no contract for goods and services exists between you and them as of a certain date, and they continue to do so, you COULD claim that such was their choice, and if they chose to continue to provide a service after you have told them there was no contract, they do so at their own expense.

Ok feeling stronger for it now, i contacted them again and again an aoutstanding debit.

i ask them to tell me at what exact date i should cancle to be left with no outstanding debit, eg: the date my last paymenty of rental runs out or the next is applied.

im positive the training in these compamies is none existant.

So i get no date!

im going to send an amount im quoted on a date and dispute anything left.

Thank you so very much for the support, bullying is exactly what it is, once i was stronger and i will be again, they prey on the ill.

jules

• 1 month later...

Ok update update, hassle hassle.

Afetr shopping round i find to have braodband form another company i have to pay a line rental, so moving broadband form these morons is not an option.

i wrote to have my phone services disconnected and thsi happened 3 days after the dead line, i rang telewest relations who advised i am not being charged for teh extra days.

Ok while this was going on the quiery account still owed money, i advised i wont pay untill teh bill is rounded up and subtracted their mistakes.

So all services where cut off and teh account went to collections.

I rang to talk to the custmer relation lady who had been with me through this and new indeptyh details of my case and was very good.

But alass as i was now with collections i could not talk to her.

So to get access back with this lady, i had to pay an amount of £24.00 i figured well i have to stay with them for broadband so get back to customer relations and deal with it from there.

So i did, and to my surprise ( Not) as well as my broadband being reactivated so has my phone. Collections must of ordered a reactivation which someone then took for every service.

Can i be charged for this reactivation of my phone line. i did not request it in anyway and have not picked up my phone for 2 weeks as i thought it was dead.

I certainly dont want to phone them up and tell them unless i have to... im tiered of clearing up thier mess.

Many thanks

BL

As far as I'm aware it should only be ONE re-activation fee, especially if your services were switched off as a result of only ONE service being unpaid for. Dial 150 to report it as a fault (that call is free) and then if they say it's down to the billing department demand they put you through and shout at them at THEIR expense, not at yours.

HI wisperwolf.

Thanks for the info.

I dont mind the one reactivation fee form being cut off, and when i was with Relations they confirmed i will not be charged for my phonecalls after my date of requested termination.

If your line remains active and you knowingly use it, can they inforce costs.

As i realy dont want to tell them its active, or conntact them in any way as long as my butt is covered.:D

BL

• 1 year later...
If your line remains active and you knowingly use it, can they inforce costs.

Yes they can and probably will. It would be dishonest of you to use a phone that has been deemed to have been cut off and hope to avoid a bill for doing so.

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks