Have I messed up?

sri_130
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4772 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I joined Bannatynes in January 2010.

I wrote to Bannatynes on the 10th November 2010 stating that I would like to cancel my membership and that they can use the letter as the 3 months notice.

I cancelled the direct debit after the last payment in Janary 2011.

As far as I can work out, I have successfully ended a 12 month contract (by paying Jan 2011, its technically a 13 month one).

Yet Bannatynes are requesting February 2011 payment! Stating this is inside the 3 month period.

My basic knowledge, would suggest that November, December and January count as 3 months. Their T&C's don't say exact number of days, nor do they say 3 full months, nor do they say you must make 3 full payments.

I'm more than happy to ignore the demands, believing the 3 months is a rather vague statement anyway, even after I've completed a 12 month contract with them. For example, some months have more days than others!

I must confess I have made an error though - when I sent them the cancellation letter, I have just seen that I put:

I am formerly requesting the cancellation of my membership and please can you take this letter as notice of termination.

I understand there is a 3 month cancellation period and that my liabilities shall end after the final monthly payment in February 2011.

I have no idea why I put Feb 2011. Idiot.

I guess my question is, do I have to pay february? and have I messed up by declaring that in my letter?

Any help appreciated.

Hi Sri,

You can write to them confirming that your last letter contained an error.

Before you do that, please confirm what was the date of the incorrect letter - was this your letter of 10th November 2010.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi, yes the only letter I have sent was on the 10th November. I actually received a letter back from them confirming it would be cancelled.

Hi Sri,

You can write to them confirming that your last letter contained an error.

Before you do that, please confirm what was the date of the incorrect letter - was this your letter of 10th November 2010.

8-)

Hi Sri,

What does their contract say about giving notice.

1. How much notice do they require.

2. When can you give such notice.

I think that, given the confusion surrounding your cancellation, you may better to pay the Feb payment. All the gyms have such a lousy attitude and arguing a case when they are clearly wrong is hard enough.

Arguing when you may have got things wrong gives them a reason to carry on being difficult, and this could take months to resolve.

Answer the 2 Q's and we'll see how you can best proceed.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)