DVLA : "Fined" for not taxing scrap car

Falcon262
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4745 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thought I'd share my problem

Eleven months ago I scrapped a car - just before it's tax expired.

Sent off the bit of the registration doc for this - a few weeks later got call from DVLA - don't know exactly what was said as wife handled it and it was quite a while ago, but at the end everything seemed ok - like they said "did you scrap this car" "yes" "ok then bye".

Start of March I got a letter from "Inter-Credit International" accusing me of ignoring letters from DVLA and offering the opportunity to agree to an "out of court settlement" to avoid being taken to court for being the registered keeper of an unlicenced vehicle.

I replied - sent them a letter from the scrap yard confirming when the car was scrapped and stated that there were no "ignored letters".

They replied telling me that the information I supplied did not release me from the "fine"

I replied pointing out that this was the first time a "fine" was mentioned - previously it had been an offer to reach an out of court settlement and asking which court had imposed the fine.

They replied insisting I pay the "fine" immediately.

I believe what happened was DVLA "lost" the info I sent them to show the car had been scrapped - by losing it and not updating the system I am still the registered keeper, even though I am only shown as this because DVLA didn't do their job - they then left it almost a year to give me chance to lose things.

Not only do I believe it's basically a 'set up' to gain money I've said so in the reply the reply I just sent them with the Secretary of State for Transport on copy - though I used words like "flawed system" "possible incentive to perform duties that can be expected from them".

Don't know what's coming next (maybe case for "libel" DVLA vs me) - do know it could be more interesting as I first though as technically they could be right - I could be the "registered keeper", but if I am it's only because DVLA didn't update their system.

My main worry is that I don't think we copied or sent by Recorded Delivery the info to DVLA - we were moving house at the time and too be honest as we'd just moved back to the UK and DVLA had been good at sending the registration documents of the car and it's replacement (ie two cars) so it didn't worry me at the time.

sounds like your in a similar situation to me, mine was a lot more complicated but as it was well over a year ago I have nothing left about that car, I have no idea if I sent it recorded delivery or not.

I now have two fines which is making me nervous for court as two together make it look like its me not notifying them but I know I did so im going to defend it as best I can.

There must be some sort of purge on at the moment for these letters to be coming out. If I was the registered keeper of my car I should have at least received a tax reminder yet Ive heard nothing about this car since it was taken away

One point that I think is quite important is that under the current system you remain the "registered keeper" until DVLA change their records - you have no ability to control this.

To me it looks like they "forget" to do this - then leave it a LONG time (in my case 10 months) before they contact you - that's far too long and seems to be more because after this amount of time it can be expected that anyone scrapping a car has long forgot the details / lost any paperwork like recorded delivery slips, if they used them.

Basically the current system is flawed in that it gives DLVA an incentive to make mistakes - if they had changed the details when informed they wouldn't be able to ask for an 'out of court settlement' (which was the first letter received) or be able to issue "fines" or start court cases.

Add to this that a court case is zero cost to them - the costs come from "public funds" and they have staff lawyers who they have to pay anyway so it's worth their while NOT to change the "registered keeper".

I have no doubt I'm the not only one - I'm pretty sure that many many people will have simply paid the "out of court settlement" thinking they made a mistake, forgot to tell DVLA etc, and that will be the end of it - I can't see that happening as by paying the "out of court settlement" the person has effectively admitted guilt - so if the DVLA send another letter next month or next year whoever paid has a harder job defending themselves as they are now a "repeat offender".

I managed to get a letter from the scrap yard confirming they scrapped the car - the "debt collection company" rejected this even though it shows the car was scrapped (not given to the scrap yard but actually dismantled) before a) the previous tax had expired b) the date on which they say I was the registered keeper of an unlicensed vehicle - that what made me realize they are not doing this because I didn't tell them (failure to notify) they are sticking with insisting I was the registered keeper and on that they could be correct - but only because they did not update their system.

Good luck with your case

One point is that once I worked out the game I started copying the Secretary of State for Transport in on the mails, inc the one where I noted the flaw in the system - doubt if he'll take any notice of my lone letter so if ANYONE is having the same problem I'd suggest they also copy him - he's the only one that can really change the system.

Edited by Falcon262
Missed a "not"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've just had a letter today from Inter credit with the following intro...

As you have ignored all previous letters, the DVLA is currently preparing a claim against you as the registered keeper of an unlicensed vehicle. (blah blah blah) otherwise legal action through the courts etc etc (does this look familiar guys and gals ?)

The real beauty on this one is that I went into my local DVLA office after scrapping my vehicle and wrote a letter and had it witnessed, dated and receipted by a member of their own staff at the office. I ALSO got a reciept for claiming the rest of the tax back from the vehicle and at the same time registered my new vehicle (again receipt dated and signed at the counter by the DVLA and my change of address for licence and BOTH vehicles.

I went through the letter route as I had lost the log book for the now scrapped car and at their suggestion had wrote the letter confirming make, model, who and where registered to as well as the reg number. Again I have copies and reciepts on DVLA letter headed paper so if any funny business went on I could prove they have recieved instructions that the vehicle and the local office will forward to Swansea on my behalf.

I didn't expect another receipt by post as I had made sure I had covered my arse whilst at the DVLA office.

I personally can't wait for them or inter-credit to take me to court, not sure of the legality on pending cases etc and the media but am really looking forward to putting DVLA to shame nationally in the press for their shabby service and their very shady practice with scare tactics to basically extort money from you. Especially if they can't be arsed to make sure they have a case in the first place

Oh, before I forget ... they say several letters ? this was the first one after aforementioned visit to the DVLA office over 12 months ago !

How much is this costing the honest taxpayer every time this bunch of tw@£s decide to try it on ?

bring it on I say !