Car Written Off By Foregin Trucker. And Tesco Insurance Won`t Act For Me

mikeb1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4668 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

My Daughter was lucky to escape with her life the other night, when she was hit by a Bulgarian artic lorry driver, Tesco insurance her insurer won`t pursue the case for her unless she makes a claim through her own insurance, it was the truckers fault and she can`t afford to claim her insurance as this would put her already extortionate policy through the roof.

It seems the police who took both their details won`t help either by telling her the truckers details etc. Does anyone know if their is anything she can do, she can`t afford a lawyer, the injury lawyers were on the phone via tesco with all sorts of crap about claiming phoney injuries, but these scoundrels are not interested in helping trace the driver. Surely the trucker can`t just walk away from this without being liable. She also stands to lose 2 and half grand out of the finance deal if she has to go the route of claiming her own insurance.....is there anyone to approach for help ?

Mike.

is there anyone to approach for help ?

Yes. Her insurers!

Tesco insurance her insurer won`t pursue the case for her unless she makes a claim through her own insurance, it was the truckers fault and she can`t afford to claim her insurance as this would put her already extortionate policy through the roof.

Why would claiming through her own insurance put her insurance "through the roof"? If it is a none fault claim, then once it is resolved, it will have no effect on her ongoing insurance.

If she doesn't put a claim in through her insurance, why should she expect them to act for her?

Hi All

My Daughter was lucky to escape with her life the other night, when she was hit by a Bulgarian artic lorry driver, Tesco insurance her insurer won`t pursue the case for her unless she makes a claim through her own insurance, it was the truckers fault and she can`t afford to claim her insurance as this would put her already extortionate policy through the roof.

It seems the police who took both their details won`t help either by telling her the truckers details etc. Does anyone know if their is anything she can do, she can`t afford a lawyer, the injury lawyers were on the phone via tesco with all sorts of crap about claiming phoney injuries, but these scoundrels are not interested in helping trace the driver. Surely the trucker can`t just walk away from this without being liable. She also stands to lose 2 and half grand out of the finance deal if she has to go the route of claiming her own insurance.....is there anyone to approach for help ?

Mike.

Seems like the police need reminding that if details are not exchanged then an offence has been comitted. Your daughter needs to report the incident to the police formally as details were not correctly exchanged. Or are we to assume that foreign drivers are exempt from the RTA?

As far as the insurance is concerned, she needs to deffo make a claim but they will need the TPs info or some kind of proof that details were not exchanged which is where the police come in.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Seems like the police need reminding that if details are not exchanged then an offence has been comitted. Your daughter needs to report the incident to the police formally as details were not correctly exchanged. Or are we to assume that foreign drivers are exempt from the RTA?

My daughter had a similar incident last year whereby the crash was serious enough to require police attendance. I believe if the police attend, and consequently therefore, record all driver's details, they do not have to release each driver's details to the others. what normally happens is when you report it to your insurer , they request the police reports directly (for a fee of course! which is added as part of the claim expenses)

As far as the insurance is concerned, she needs to deffo make a claim but they will need the TPs info or some kind of proof that details were not exchanged which is where the police come in.

The only "proof" the insurance company will require is a copy of the police incident report which will have been given to each driver involved. This will show the police reference number, officer handling the accident and the station he is based at.

Yes. Her insurers!

Why would claiming through her own insurance put her insurance "through the roof"? If it is a none fault claim, then once it is resolved, it will have no effect on her ongoing insurance.

If she doesn't put a claim in through her insurance, why should she expect them to act for her?

When her insurance is due for renewal and the case has not yet been settled surely this would affect her no claims ? I have seen another case on here involving TESCO that took 11 months to settle. I think also when my daughter is paying over a grand a year for insurance that her insurer would be obliged to help her, but I guess that`s not how these legal insurance scams work. Another problem she has is if tesco act for her she`s got to pay almost a grand up front for excess, which she doesn`t have.Thanks for your input.

Best Mike.

The police should give you all the details of the other driver if he was not able to at the time.

You must inform your insurers asap and let them handle it.

Thanks

Edited by mikeb1

My daughter had a similar incident last year whereby the crash was serious enough to require police attendance. I believe if the police attend, and consequently therefore, record all driver's details, they do not have to release each driver's details to the others. what normally happens is when you report it to your insurer , they request the police reports directly (for a fee of course! which is added as part of the claim expenses)

The only "proof" the insurance company will require is a copy of the police incident report which will have been given to each driver involved. This will show the police reference number, officer handling the accident and the station he is based at.

Her insurers are in the process of sending for the police report, but my daughter never got a copy of the police report, I here what all you guys are saying she will defo have to go through her insurers, but I fear the worse here.

Best Mike.

Her insurers are in the process of sending for the police report, but my daughter never got a copy of the police report, I here what all you guys are saying she will defo have to go through her insurers, but I fear the worse here.

Best Mike.

Hi

You do not have to claim through your own insurance and yes, this will affect your no claims bonus until your insurers have made a full recovery of their outlay which could take years in all honesty. I would recommend chasing the police for the vehicle registration numbers for the truck. Bear in mind trucks sometimes have one reg for the tractor unit and a different one for the trailor. Demand the registration number/s from the police. They have to supply you with them to enable you to make a claim although they will not give you the drivers personal details. When you have the reg number, contact the MIB and they will provide you with the name of the foreign insurer. Once you have this information, you can claim via their UK agent. This can be found on MIB website and search for UK representatives of foreign insurers also known as green card insurer. Once you have this information, any industry recognised accident management company such as Help Hire or Drive Assist will take on your claim at no cost to you. This may sound long winded but is the only other option other than claiming through your own insurer.

Hope this is of help to you

Hi

You do not have to claim through your own insurance and yes, this will affect your no claims bonus until your insurers have made a full recovery of their outlay which could take years in all honesty. I would recommend chasing the police for the vehicle registration numbers for the truck. Bear in mind trucks sometimes have one reg for the tractor unit and a different one for the trailor. Demand the registration number/s from the police. They have to supply you with them to enable you to make a claim although they will not give you the drivers personal details. When you have the reg number, contact the MIB and they will provide you with the name of the foreign insurer. Once you have this information, you can claim via their UK agent. This can be found on MIB website and search for UK representatives of foreign insurers also known as green card insurer. Once you have this information, any industry recognised accident management company such as Help Hire or Drive Assist will take on your claim at no cost to you. This may sound long winded but is the only other option other than claiming through your own insurer.

Sound good advice apart from that bit i've highlighted. The VRM on the tractor unit must be displayed on the trailer as trailers themselves do not have VRMs.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Sound good advice apart from that bit i've highlighted. The VRM on the tractor unit must be displayed on the trailer as trailers themselves do not have VRMs.

European ones do :-)

Trailors also have their own individual VIN's. The trailor could be insured by a different insurer to the tractor unit. This is common in the UK also.

VIN's yes but a VIN is not a registration mark. It is the tractor unit which carries the vehicle reg mark as it is the principle part of the vehicle. Didn't know that a trailer can have different insurance cover than that of the tractor unit though to satify the RTA. Perhaps you can expand on this and how it works.

Please Note

Hi

Hi

We have the truckers regi now thanks to a cop my daughter knows, we have also contacted drive assist (through Arnold Clark) they won`t take the case on, We have found the trukers uk agent who are from Manchester, they couldn`t help they said as no one speaks Bulgarian. May try help hire as we didn`t have the regi number when we contacted them.

Who is MIB ?

Thanks for your imput

Mike.

Hi

We have the truckers regi now thanks to a cop my daughter knows, we have also contacted drive assist (through Arnold Clark) they won`t take the case on, We have found the trukers uk agent who are from Manchester, they couldn`t help they said as no one speaks Bulgarian. May try help hire as we didn`t have the regi number when we contacted them.

Who is MIB ?

Thanks for your imput

Mike.

This is getting ridiculous. I would go back on to them and state that unless they can provide the information you require, you will go to the police and make a complaint under Section 170(2) of the Road Traffic act 1988; failing to stop and excahnge details.

Please Note

Honestly this is a mine field with foriegn trucks and insurers, just let your insurers handle it. The excess will not become due until her car is repaired, as garage wont release car until paid.

Long long shot, but if Manchester agents know which port lorry entered country through, is there no way that port authorities / police can keep a look out for him when he returns in the future? Hold lorry at port until insurance docs are produced!!!!!! I did say a long shot.

If you could establish the delivery addresses of his cargo, then perhaps they could advise of any future expected deliveries from same supplier????

Honestly this is a mine field with foriegn trucks and insurers, just let your insurers handle it. The excess will not become due until her car is repaired, as garage wont release car until paid.

They want the excess upfont, if repaired 4ks worth of damage

Mike

Edited by mikeb1

This is getting ridiculous. I would go back on to them and state that unless they can provide the information you require, you will go to the police and make a complaint under Section 170(2) of the Road Traffic act 1988; failing to stop and excahnge details.

Please Note

We have more hope now as we have a chance of going through something similar to MIB, won`t know till monday, will post results, this thread should help others in the future.

Thanks to all of you who responded.

Best Mike.

Edited by mikeb1

We have more hope now as we have a chance of going through something similar to MIB, won`t know till monday, will post results, this thread should help others in the future.

Thanks to all of you who responded.

Best Mike.

If the Manchester company are the UK agent then they will have to deal with your claim regardless of non speaking Bulgarian employees. MIB will deal with your claim if you contact them or at least instruct the Manchester company to deal with it. The MIB will give you the best advise on how to proceed with this. In all honesty here, your insurance company have let you down. They know how to deal with accidents like this. It is an every day occurance for them and if I was you I would put in a complaint against them. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Hi

update is no one wants to know. the Manchester agent denied all knowledge of the email we sent them re-the accedient, and the message that was left on their answer machine.

Got a hold of them on the phone yesterday, but waitting on reports they say. Could take weeks. Will post when any change.

Mike.

Hi

update is no one wants to know. the Manchester agent denied all knowledge of the email we sent them re-the accedient, and the message that was left on their answer machine.

Got a hold of them on the phone yesterday, but waitting on reports they say. Could take weeks. Will post when any change.

Mike.

Have you been back to the police and made a report 'failing to exchange details'?

Please Note

Have you been back to the police and made a report 'failing to exchange details'?

Please Note

No what good would that do ? we have the drivers regi number and have contacted his uk agent but they are avoiding us like the plague. Are you thinking if we go via the police then the Manchester agent has to act quickly ?

Best Mike

No what good would that do ? we have the drivers regi number and have contacted his uk agent but they are avoiding us like the plague. Are you thinking if we go via the police then the Manchester agent has to act quickly ?

Best Mike

Section 170(2) of the Road Traffic act 1988; (failing to stop and exchange details) states that driver's names and adresses must be exchange otherwise an offence has been comitted. Perhaps an idea is to contact the agent again and advise that under the said act, you will be obligated to report their driver to the police unless they provide you with his details. Then if thety still won't play ball then technically you should report the matter formally to the police because i'm assuming that the TP didn't obtain your details either.

Please Note

Section 170(2) of the Road Traffic act 1988; (failing to stop and exchange details) states that driver's names and adresses must be exchange otherwise an offence has been comitted. Perhaps an idea is to contact the agent again and advise that under the said act, you will be obligated to report their driver to the police unless they provide you with his details. Then if thety still won't play ball then technically you should report the matter formally to the police because i'm assuming that the TP didn't obtain your details either.

Please Note

Hi Sam

Trying to get her to do this now. And yes the trucker never got my girls details either.