• Tweets

• How did you purchase the goods? (instore or online)   How did you pay for the goods? (cash or card and which card method if paid by card i.e. debt card etc.)        
    • Thanks for the reply which makes the case more simple.   As the young gym member was under 18 when she joined, she was a minor and the gym or their admin Co. cannot enforce any contract or agreement with her.   She can reply to any demand from the gym saying :-   " I was a minor at the time of signing the membership and cannot be held to any contract terms associated with such a membership agreement. Accordingly no further demands should be made and this should be the end of the matter. Yours faithfully, YD"   Send this to the gym's address by letter and get a free Cert of Posting at the PO Counter.   Keep us posted please
    • sorry Scania ..so you have a problem with the product?  
    • Morrisons supermarket sell clothing under the Nutmeg brand.  Generally, these goods are of decent quality and not too expensive. There is a fairly wide range. Like other supermarkets, their sizes should be taken with a large pinch of salt.   Unfortunately, Morrison's merchandise these clothes through an outfit called Deeset. When things go wrong then your troubles really begin.   Deeset won't reply to emails. They operate a confounded automatic phone system where your call is put in a queue. EVENTUALLY, you receive a message that no one is available to take your call.   Their shop floor workers are not allowed to order goods in for you and not allowed to phone head office.   It's inconceivable that a prestigious company like Morrison's should be involved with an outfit like Deeset, which does no good for Morrison's image.
  • Our picks

• Future Comms is a Big Con. How to get out of it. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/417058-future-comms-is-a-big-con-how-to-get-out-of-it/
      • 4 replies
    • Future Comms issues. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416504-future-comms-issues/
      • 5 replies
    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.

THIS IS HOW THE PHONECALL WENT 

I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
peterbard

Credit Card charges vs Bank Charges

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2936 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Aquitas

Thanks for the info, I am trying to get my head around the technicalities of this as you may have seen.

I apologise to those who are not interested ( well no I don’t actually, its my thread)

One of my problems is differentiating between a contractual breach and a penalty for triggering a contractual term.

For instance if the agreement says “ you pay so much a month”, and you don’t then that is a breach of the agreement, and as you say the penalty must put both parties in the same position post breach.

But what happens if the failure to pay mearly triggers a clause in the agreement, which says “ if the debtor fails to meet a payment then he must pay a fee”.

This is not really a breach is it? It is just an option offered by the agreement which incurs a particular cost. Does the cost have to be proportionate under common law?

Peter

I would say that in plain and intelligible English, even such a clause could still amount to a breach and therefore a penalty - the Court would have to decide the facts, then apply the Law.

Saying that, though, I'm talking common sense, so...

Always happy to help where I can!

:lol:

Beware of legal advice given on a private forum - do you REALLY know who is posting? Are they REALLY accountable for their posts? What if you follow their advice and get something wrong?

It was Winston Churchill who said; "Democracy is the worst way to run a country except for all the others"

Advice and comments posted by car2403 are offered purely without prejudice. They reflect only my personal opinion and do not represent the opinion of this forum or it's management. You should always seek legal advice from a qualified legal advisor. As a member of the site team, I disable reputation - reputation points mean nothing, please check my posting credentials yourself and make an informed decision. You shouldn't PM me and await a reply - I may be too late with a response. No replies will be given in Private Messages - just as with getting advice from the forum, getting advice via Private Messages is dangerous. CAG is about sharing successes so others can follow your example, this is primarily why I'm here, so please don't be offended if I don't offer replies in PM that doesn't comply with this. Help CAG to help others by keeping your thread up to date.

USEFUL LINKS; New User Guide to CAG | Can't find what you're looking for? | Intro to Consumer Credit Litigation | Is My Agreement Enforceable | Default (Surleybonds) Template Letter | Defaults - background, removal methods, challenges and taking a claim to Court | Digital Signature Guide | Overdrafts and the CCA

I would say that in plain and intelligible English, even such a clause could still amount to a breach and therefore a penalty - the Court would have to decide the facts, then apply the Law.

Saying that, though, I'm talking common sense, so...

HI

Yes I think it is about the language.

Isn’t that what the SC court decision showed, if you call it a breach then it has to be a penalty and be proportionate if you call it a fee for a service it doesn’t, wasn’t that why a the feverish re writing of agreements took place.

I think the Utcc argument was pretty much dead in the water once they defined the charge as a fee, if the fee is displayed on the agreement it is hard to show that it isn’t an agreed price.

In the case of credit cards I think we are pretty safe in the defintition there is no getting around the fact that it is a charge for default, it says so in the t and cs.

The argument is going to be , is it a representative charge.

So as said earlier the argument must lie in the consent to the amount of the charge, and if this sum can be construed as a penalty.

The Dunlop case mentioned earlier contains this

“There may be a greater risk of infringing the principle against extortion, or against the substitution of a larger for a smaller payment, in applying the same figure to a number of different breaches of varying importance, more especially if some occasion serious and others but trifling damage, than when it is applied to one breach; but if these tests are complied with the parties may reasonably be allowed to make their own agreement. No doubt if the agreed sum is not applied distributively, but equally to stipulations of varying importance, and in reference to any of the stipulations it is a penalty, it is a penalty for the purpose of the whole contract, since it could not in the same contract be construed both as a penalty and as liquidated damages.”

This has relevance I think in that a set charge is made for default on cards independent of scale of the breach that they may reflect

Peter

VT against welcome finance costs returned

Refund against jetline travel

Caital one settled 6th November

N1 Filed Yorkshire Bank 26/09/06

£677+£172int.+£80Chgs acknowledgemment of claim recieved 29th/09,Defence recieved 27th October Recieved AO 30t hOctt Settled in Full 8th December

Perhaps referring to a publicly available judgment, rather than references to other forums, (where members can neither prove nor deny what happened either way) would be in order.

There's a question here of precedent - does the 'case' referred to act as a precedent to others in the same situation. I can't say either way, as there's no caselaw being bandied around about it, only opinions based on evidence which some seem reluctant to post. Makes me wonder why, but it's certainly not in the spirit of CAG, hence it was removed accordingly.

My point is, what is a genuine pre-estimate of charges in one case may not be in another, as it would turn on the case presented, the facts of that case, and the Courts interpretation of all of that. If there's a case out there that can be referred to which puts my mind at rest on that issue, please post it. :)

Beware of legal advice given on a private forum - do you REALLY know who is posting? Are they REALLY accountable for their posts? What if you follow their advice and get something wrong?

It was Winston Churchill who said; "Democracy is the worst way to run a country except for all the others"

Advice and comments posted by car2403 are offered purely without prejudice. They reflect only my personal opinion and do not represent the opinion of this forum or it's management. You should always seek legal advice from a qualified legal advisor. As a member of the site team, I disable reputation - reputation points mean nothing, please check my posting credentials yourself and make an informed decision. You shouldn't PM me and await a reply - I may be too late with a response. No replies will be given in Private Messages - just as with getting advice from the forum, getting advice via Private Messages is dangerous. CAG is about sharing successes so others can follow your example, this is primarily why I'm here, so please don't be offended if I don't offer replies in PM that doesn't comply with this. Help CAG to help others by keeping your thread up to date.

USEFUL LINKS; New User Guide to CAG | Can't find what you're looking for? | Intro to Consumer Credit Litigation | Is My Agreement Enforceable | Default (Surleybonds) Template Letter | Defaults - background, removal methods, challenges and taking a claim to Court | Digital Signature Guide | Overdrafts and the CCA

Car

I totally agree. My own experience is that when I asked a credit card company asked to justify the "fairness" of the £12 charge or the "ongoing accuracy" of its "pre-estimate" it just folded and repaid the full amount of all unfair charges (plus contractual interest).

It seems that after a half hearted initial attempt to "justify" the fairness of the £12 which they initially attempt to retain, just offering a refund of the excess charges above £12, they soon cave in when challenged to put up or pay up - as they do NOT want it to come out that their "genuine pre-estimate" was far from "genuine" with the true cost of an automated transaction to charge a default fee probably being only a few pence.

My reading of the OFT report is that they will deem any default charges above £12 to be "unfair" (apart from Egg who seem to get away with £15) - but that does NOT mean the converse - i.e. any charge of £12 or less is definitely "fair".

BD

£50k saved and £7k charges refunded:

MBNA & A&L 35% F&F direct - saved £23k. Birmingham Midshires £1700 charges refunded

Abbey Loan/BCW 50% - saved £2k. Barclaycard/CSL 40% - saved £6k

Monument/DCA 35% - saved £1k. LTSB/Wescot 50% - saved £4k

HBOS Visa £5k charges refund via Blair Oliver Scott

RBS Direct Line/(genuine) solicitors June 2010 40% - saved £3k

Morgan Stanley/Aktiv Kapital £11k SB Nov 2010

Over £40k balance write off and charges refunds to fight for:

HBOS O/d Charges £5k. Egg Loan/Aktiv Kapital CCA Dispute £8k

Egg Card/Fredrickson taking £5 monthly but CCA & Charges Dispute £4k

Goldfish/1st Credit DN/TN Dispute £9k. Capital One/CSL charges claim £4k

Barclaycard/CSL taking £5 monthly on £10k debt

I hope I have helped - if I have please hit my star - and recognise the others who have helped too.

Bigdebtor

Peter

The difference is my "real life experience" of success in reclaiming default charges is backed up by "evidence" - in my signature in the same post. Other similar threads show equal successes by other CAGGERs.

I really do not understand why you wish to discourage CAGGERs from reclaiming the FULL amounts charged as default fees by having any posts providing evidence of real successes removed.

BD

MBNA & A&L 35% F&F direct - saved £23k. Birmingham Midshires £1700 charges refunded

I hope I have helped - if I have please hit my star - and recognise the others who have helped too.

Bigdebtor

Brandon is publically available isnt it. Judge Denyer was quite unequivical in affirming that the charges where genuine pre estimates.

You cannot just say that something should not hsappen when it plainly does.

What is needed is a thorough understanding of the issues and the law involved, so that when these cases do start to get regularily challenged in there own right we are prepared with convincing logical counter arguments.

We tried shutting our eyes and shouting rhetoric about how unfair the system is on the bank charge issue, are we going to make the same mistake here.

Refusing to show evidence of actual cases that people have reported whatever their outcome, or source does no one any good, i would have thought that was obvious.

Peter

£677+£172int.+£80Chgs acknowledgemment of claim recieved 29th/09,Defence recieved 27th October Recieved AO 30t hOctt Settled in Full 8th December

Peter

The difference is my "real life experience" of success in reclaiming default charges is backed up by "evidence" - in my signature in the same post. Other similar threads show equal successes by other CAGGERs.

I really do not understand why you wish to discourage CAGGERs from reclaiming the FULL amounts charged as default fees by having any posts providing evidence of real successes removed.

BD

Hi

As i have said before i do not want to disscourage anyone from claiming. But irrespective of whether you like it or not ,sooner or later the banks are going to start contesting these, now when that happens, you can try blaming the government or the judge or whatever takes your fancy but it will make avbsolutely zero difference to the outcome.

As for your reports i think we require proof apparently

Peter

Is Brandon not being appealed?

I really don't understand why there is any need now to rely on any "pre-estimate" - genuine or otherwise - when there is ample data available (going back many years) to to the card companies to establish actual historical data to justify the level of default charges. However they do seem most reluctant to publish such data and the experience of many CAGGERs (myself included) is that they fold when challenged to justify the £12 (or any amount charged) in such circumstances.

I also do not understand why you feel the need to devalue most of your posts with snide comments.

BD

Bigdebtor

Hi

As i have said before i do not want to disscourage anyone from claiming. But irrespective of whether you like it or not ,sooner or later the banks are going to start contesting these, now when that happens, you can try blaming the government or the judge or whatever takes your fancy but it will make avbsolutely zero difference to the outcome.

As for your reports i think we require proof apparently

Peter

My (and many other CAGGERs') experience is these are not contested in any great numbers currently. I am glad you do not wish to encourage any claims. I personally think it's better to have a position where "sooner or later" Banks MIGHT start to contest these (a matter of personal speculation) - than the position "NOW Banks WILL contest them" - which would be a matter of fact!

I do not think anyone (other than you) is asking for proof of what I have put in my signature. In any case testing out the practical effectiveness of my tactics will be a no risk task for any CAGGER wanting to get back EVERY PENNY of unfair (unlawful?) default charges.

BD

BTW - Have I missed something? Has it been actually been established that Bank overdraft charges are actually FAIR?

I thought the SC clearly left the door open on that issue and merely ruled the OFT did not have the right to investigate the "fairness" of such charges? This is certainly the view Lord Phillips attempted to convey on a recent TV programme on the SC's ruling.

Bigdebtor

Is Brandon not being appealed?

I really don't understand why there is any need now to rely on any "pre-estimate" - genuine or otherwise - when there is ample data available (going back many years) to to the card companies to establish actual historical data to justify the level of default charges. However they do seem most reluctant to publish such data and the experience of many CAGGERs (myself included) is that they fold when challenged to justify the £12 (or any amount charged) in such circumstances.

I also do not understand why you feel the need to devalue most of your posts with snide comments.

BD

Wthout wishing to make a snide comment.

We have to lookat this because it is the reason that the courts are winning the cases they have won. Simple as that.

Yes Brandon is being appealed in July and when we find out what happens that to will be analysed and used to form a strategy. If we are wise.

Or we could just blame the judge or the system etc.

Sorry if this appears snide to you but i am trying very hard to make a point.

We all know that these charges are unfair and worse but that is not enough patently.

Wthout wishing to make a snide comment.

We have to lookat this because it is the reason that the courts are winning the cases they have won. Simple as that.

Peter - Sorry - you've lost me. WHAT is the reason?

Yes Brandon is being appealed in July and when we find out what happens that to will be analysed and used to form a strategy. If we are wise.

Wouldn't it be wiser to not rely on Brandon until we actually do find out? In the meantime wouldn't it be equally wise for CAGGERs to get their claims in NOW - just in case Brandon does not go our way?

Or we could just blame the judge or the system etc.

Sorry if this appears snide to you but i am trying very hard to make a point.

Yes - it is a bit snide. Who else can/should we blame when these are the people still accepting "pre-estimates" when a wealth of historical verifiable data could be made available to prove how unfair such charges actually are and how far out these "pre-estimates" actually were?

We all know that these charges are unfair and worse but that is not enough patently.

I'm glad we agree on something. Hopefully GLC's efforts in Glasgow Sheriff Court will give us a way forward?

BD

Bigdebtor

My (and many other CAGGERs') experience is these are not contested in any great numbers currently. I am glad you do not wish to encourage any claims. I personally think it's better to have a position where "sooner or later" Banks MIGHT start to contest these (a matter of personal speculation) - than the position "NOW Banks WILL contest them" - which would be a matter of fact!

I do not think anyone (other than you) is asking for proof of what I have put in my signature. In any case testing out the practical effectiveness of my tactics will be a no risk task for any CAGGER wanting to get back EVERY PENNY of unfair (unlawful?) default charges.

BD

BTW - Have I missed something? Has it been actually been established that Bank overdraft charges are actually FAIR?

I thought the SC clearly left the door open on that issue and merely ruled the OFT did not have the right to investigate the "fairness" of such charges? This is certainly the view Lord Phillips attempted to convey on a recent TV programme on the SC's ruling.

Me and many other caggers claimed bank charges we did so for some time, we belived we had the legal right to do so.

It was shown that we didn't.

Now this is an unpeaasant fact get over it.

If we dont want the same thing to happen this time we had better get our argument right this time.

Or we could just bury our heads in the sand and hope it wont happen.

Never been one for doing that always thought it is bad idea.

No you miss the point i do not question your claims but they hardley" set precedent" or can be conirmed can they, it seems that this is the criterea now

I'm glad we agree on something. Hopefully GLC's efforts in Glasgow Sheriff Court will give us a way forward?

BD

the reasn that these caseswhere lost was because the charges were held to be a reflection of liquidated costs.

If you have arguments to counter this then lets hear them.

But arguments that would stand up in a court not rhetoric

I belive the Dunlop case holds the key but i could be wrong

Peter

Me and many other caggers claimed bank charges we did so for some time, we belived we had the legal right to do so.

It was shown that we didn't.

Where exactly was this shown? Have you told GLC they are wasting their time and SLAB's money in still pursuing this matter?

Now this is an unpeaasant fact get over it.

I don't accept this is a FACT - no matter what adjective precedes it- and it is unhelpful to claim it to be so whilst cases are still in progress.

If we dont want the same thing to happen this time we had better get our argument right this time.

My perception is we do have the argument right - and the backing of OFT - which in THIS occasion DOES carry some weight.

Or we could just bury our heads in the sand and hope it wont happen.

Never been one for doing that always thought it is bad idea.

No you miss the point i do not question your claims but they hardley" set precedent" or can be conirmed can they, it seems that this is the criterea now

My claims can certainly be confirmed - but I do not see any need to do so as it is a no-risk tactic for others to follow.

Bigdebtor

BD

Sorry BD

"Who else should we blame"

That is just the point, it is totally irrelevant who you or i "blame". There is far to much time used in blaming or name calling, it serves no purpose and is self defeating because it stops peope trying to find out why we actually lost.

Peter

the reasn that these caseswhere lost was because the charges were held to be a reflection of liquidated costs.

Lord Phillips was at pains to point out he WAS NOT saying unauthorised overdraft charges were FAIR - and pointed at other ways forward. It looks like most English lawyers seem to have given up for the moment - which is a great pity!

If you have arguments to counter this then lets hear them.

But arguments that would stand up in a court not rhetoric

I'm going to leave that to Mike Dailly of GLC and his team - real lawyers fighting real cases in real life.

I belive the Dunlop case holds the key but i could be wrong

Peter

See comments in bold above.

BD

Bigdebtor

My claims can certainly be confirmed - but I do not see any need to do so as it is a no-risk tactic for others to follow.

My authority for this belief is the Supreme court the highest court in the land

Peter

Last warning - stop the personal attacks, or this thread will be locked (like all the rest) and offenders will be placed on moderation.

This forum is more about issues people are facing, then big egos and the site team won't allow this to continue.

Any quoting of this post with further comment will be removed - if you have complaints, direct them to site admin.

My authority for this belief is the Supreme court the highest court in the land

Peter

Peter

I'm getting very confused as to which SC ruling you refer.

Are you saying you believe the SC has:

a) supported credit card default (i.e.penalty) charges of up to £12 are FAIR? If so, when was this case?

b) ruled that unauthorised overdraft charges (of any amount) are FAIR? If so, did Lord Phillips get confused both in his summary judgement (shown on TV) and in his recent TV interview?

BD

Bigdebtor

Hi

The Supreme court ruled that Bank charges where legitimate charges.

The legitimacy of Credit card default charges have still to be decided.

Hence this thread

Peter

I do not wish to be accused of personal attacks and so shall not respond any further after clearing up one point by a statement of indisputable fact.

The SC ruling DID NOT prohibit further legal challenges on unauthorised overdraft charges and at least two such challenges are active in Glasgow Sheriff Court.

BD

Bigdebtor

I do not wish to be accused of personal attacks and so shall not respond any further after clearing up one point by a statement of indisputable fact.

The SC ruling DID NOT prohibit further legal challenges on unauthorised overdraft charges and at least two such challenges are active in Glasgow Sheriff Court.

BD

The SC stated that the OFT didn't have the powers under the UTCCRs that they brought the case on to assess the fairness of the charges - it's a common misconception that the SC declared the charges as fair. In fact, they said that they should be challenged under reg 5, but that isn't easily done 'en masse' as it requires individual unfairness in the case. (and almost requires individual unfairness per charge applied)

Hi

Dont think i ever said that bank charges were not challengable. with the appropriate legal argument and circumstances i am sure an individual may be able to do so.

But it is a major hll to cimb.

On credit cards i believe we have the oppertunity to develop an effective defence before we are put into the same position, that is the only point i am trying to make.

Peter

Hi

Dont think i ever said that bank charges were not challengable. with the appropriate legal argument and circumstances i am sure an individual may be able to do so.

But it is a major hll to cimb.

On credit cards i believe we have the oppertunity to develop an effective defence before we are put into the same position, that is the only point i am trying to make.

Peter

Quite right, Peter. What you actually said was:

Hi

The Supreme court ruled that Bank charges where legitimate charges.

The legitimacy of Credit card default charges have still to be decided.

Hence this thread

Peter

Are you saying that's now not right?

I can see how you'd be confused, if you're thinking about Dunlop, as Dunlop was about penalty charges, whereas bank charges aren't penalty charges, because the agreement includes provision for them.

Further confusion is that credit card charges have similar terms in agreements, but we haven't seen proof in caselaw that the same applies.

The SC stated that the OFT didn't have the powers under the UTCCRs that they brought the case on to assess the fairness of the charges - it's a common misconception that the SC declared the charges as fair. In fact, they said that they should be challenged under reg 5, but that isn't easily done 'en masse' as it requires individual unfairness in the case. (and almost requires individual unfairness per charge applied)

Car

Yes - that is what I recollect Lord Phillips saying on the day the judgement was announced and interpreted this as the SC pointing very clearly to another way to skin this particular cat. However on a recent TV programme he stressed the SC had NOT rules these unauthorised overdraft charges to be fair and went on to say he regretted the OFT were not legally allowed to challenge the "fairness" of these charges - but the SC were asked to rule on a very narrow point of law regarding what the OFT could do - and it was clear they could not legally challenge these unfair charges.

I fully accept the difficulty of using reg 5 - but believe if GLC win the two cases in Glasgow Sheriff Court we'll get back to the Banks shelling out - as they did before the OFT stuck its oar in - and as they currently do in the case of Credit Card default charges - paying out IN FULL (even the last £12) in order to avoid court action.

I guess it's similar to using CPUTR 2008 at present - if it works for you - then use it - and the sooner the better - just in case some smart Bank lawyer yet again manages to argue black is white!

BD

Bigdebtor

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2936 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you