• Tweets

• Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
    • Hi. Please don't follow McD's advice to contact Met to appeal. They won't listen and you could end up giving them helpful information. HB
    • The UK-based mining giant Anglo American says it has received a takeover proposal from Australia's BHP.View the full article
    • who gave you the NTH? who was it sent to? thread title updated dx  
    • blimey CAG gave all that FREE help over +6mts and +100 posts and they never even bothered to comeback...
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Credit Card charges vs Bank Charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4710 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Aquitas

Thanks for the info, I am trying to get my head around the technicalities of this as you may have seen.

I apologise to those who are not interested ( well no I don’t actually, its my thread)

One of my problems is differentiating between a contractual breach and a penalty for triggering a contractual term.

For instance if the agreement says “ you pay so much a month”, and you don’t then that is a breach of the agreement, and as you say the penalty must put both parties in the same position post breach.

But what happens if the failure to pay mearly triggers a clause in the agreement, which says “ if the debtor fails to meet a payment then he must pay a fee”.

This is not really a breach is it? It is just an option offered by the agreement which incurs a particular cost. Does the cost have to be proportionate under common law?

Peter

I would say that in plain and intelligible English, even such a clause could still amount to a breach and therefore a penalty - the Court would have to decide the facts, then apply the Law.

Saying that, though, I'm talking common sense, so...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that in plain and intelligible English, even such a clause could still amount to a breach and therefore a penalty - the Court would have to decide the facts, then apply the Law.

Saying that, though, I'm talking common sense, so...

HI

Yes I think it is about the language.

Isn’t that what the SC court decision showed, if you call it a breach then it has to be a penalty and be proportionate if you call it a fee for a service it doesn’t, wasn’t that why a the feverish re writing of agreements took place.

I think the Utcc argument was pretty much dead in the water once they defined the charge as a fee, if the fee is displayed on the agreement it is hard to show that it isn’t an agreed price.

In the case of credit cards I think we are pretty safe in the defintition there is no getting around the fact that it is a charge for default, it says so in the t and cs.

The argument is going to be , is it a representative charge.

So as said earlier the argument must lie in the consent to the amount of the charge, and if this sum can be construed as a penalty.

The Dunlop case mentioned earlier contains this

“There may be a greater risk of infringing the principle against extortion, or against the substitution of a larger for a smaller payment, in applying the same figure to a number of different breaches of varying importance, more especially if some occasion serious and others but trifling damage, than when it is applied to one breach; but if these tests are complied with the parties may reasonably be allowed to make their own agreement. No doubt if the agreed sum is not applied distributively, but equally to stipulations of varying importance, and in reference to any of the stipulations it is a penalty, it is a penalty for the purpose of the whole contract, since it could not in the same contract be construed both as a penalty and as liquidated damages.”

This has relevance I think in that a set charge is made for default on cards independent of scale of the breach that they may reflect

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps referring to a publicly available judgment, rather than references to other forums, (where members can neither prove nor deny what happened either way) would be in order.

There's a question here of precedent - does the 'case' referred to act as a precedent to others in the same situation. I can't say either way, as there's no caselaw being bandied around about it, only opinions based on evidence which some seem reluctant to post. Makes me wonder why, but it's certainly not in the spirit of CAG, hence it was removed accordingly.

My point is, what is a genuine pre-estimate of charges in one case may not be in another, as it would turn on the case presented, the facts of that case, and the Courts interpretation of all of that. If there's a case out there that can be referred to which puts my mind at rest on that issue, please post it. :)

Car

I totally agree. My own experience is that when I asked a credit card company asked to justify the "fairness" of the £12 charge or the "ongoing accuracy" of its "pre-estimate" it just folded and repaid the full amount of all unfair charges (plus contractual interest).

It seems that after a half hearted initial attempt to "justify" the fairness of the £12 which they initially attempt to retain, just offering a refund of the excess charges above £12, they soon cave in when challenged to put up or pay up - as they do NOT want it to come out that their "genuine pre-estimate" was far from "genuine" with the true cost of an automated transaction to charge a default fee probably being only a few pence.

My reading of the OFT report is that they will deem any default charges above £12 to be "unfair" (apart from Egg who seem to get away with £15) - but that does NOT mean the converse - i.e. any charge of £12 or less is definitely "fair".

BD

Peter

The difference is my "real life experience" of success in reclaiming default charges is backed up by "evidence" - in my signature in the same post. Other similar threads show equal successes by other CAGGERs.

I really do not understand why you wish to discourage CAGGERs from reclaiming the FULL amounts charged as default fees by having any posts providing evidence of real successes removed.

BD

Brandon is publically available isnt it. Judge Denyer was quite unequivical in affirming that the charges where genuine pre estimates.

You cannot just say that something should not hsappen when it plainly does.

What is needed is a thorough understanding of the issues and the law involved, so that when these cases do start to get regularily challenged in there own right we are prepared with convincing logical counter arguments.

We tried shutting our eyes and shouting rhetoric about how unfair the system is on the bank charge issue, are we going to make the same mistake here.

Refusing to show evidence of actual cases that people have reported whatever their outcome, or source does no one any good, i would have thought that was obvious.

Peter

Peter

The difference is my "real life experience" of success in reclaiming default charges is backed up by "evidence" - in my signature in the same post. Other similar threads show equal successes by other CAGGERs.

I really do not understand why you wish to discourage CAGGERs from reclaiming the FULL amounts charged as default fees by having any posts providing evidence of real successes removed.

BD

Hi

As i have said before i do not want to disscourage anyone from claiming. But irrespective of whether you like it or not ,sooner or later the banks are going to start contesting these, now when that happens, you can try blaming the government or the judge or whatever takes your fancy but it will make avbsolutely zero difference to the outcome.

As for your reports i think we require proof apparently

Peter

Is Brandon not being appealed?

I really don't understand why there is any need now to rely on any "pre-estimate" - genuine or otherwise - when there is ample data available (going back many years) to to the card companies to establish actual historical data to justify the level of default charges. However they do seem most reluctant to publish such data and the experience of many CAGGERs (myself included) is that they fold when challenged to justify the £12 (or any amount charged) in such circumstances.

I also do not understand why you feel the need to devalue most of your posts with snide comments.

BD

Hi

As i have said before i do not want to disscourage anyone from claiming. But irrespective of whether you like it or not ,sooner or later the banks are going to start contesting these, now when that happens, you can try blaming the government or the judge or whatever takes your fancy but it will make avbsolutely zero difference to the outcome.

As for your reports i think we require proof apparently

Peter

My (and many other CAGGERs') experience is these are not contested in any great numbers currently. I am glad you do not wish to encourage any claims. I personally think it's better to have a position where "sooner or later" Banks MIGHT start to contest these (a matter of personal speculation) - than the position "NOW Banks WILL contest them" - which would be a matter of fact!

I do not think anyone (other than you) is asking for proof of what I have put in my signature. In any case testing out the practical effectiveness of my tactics will be a no risk task for any CAGGER wanting to get back EVERY PENNY of unfair (unlawful?) default charges.

BD

BTW - Have I missed something? Has it been actually been established that Bank overdraft charges are actually FAIR?

I thought the SC clearly left the door open on that issue and merely ruled the OFT did not have the right to investigate the "fairness" of such charges? This is certainly the view Lord Phillips attempted to convey on a recent TV programme on the SC's ruling.

Is Brandon not being appealed?

I really don't understand why there is any need now to rely on any "pre-estimate" - genuine or otherwise - when there is ample data available (going back many years) to to the card companies to establish actual historical data to justify the level of default charges. However they do seem most reluctant to publish such data and the experience of many CAGGERs (myself included) is that they fold when challenged to justify the £12 (or any amount charged) in such circumstances.

I also do not understand why you feel the need to devalue most of your posts with snide comments.

BD

Wthout wishing to make a snide comment.

We have to lookat this because it is the reason that the courts are winning the cases they have won. Simple as that.

Yes Brandon is being appealed in July and when we find out what happens that to will be analysed and used to form a strategy. If we are wise.

Or we could just blame the judge or the system etc.

Sorry if this appears snide to you but i am trying very hard to make a point.

We all know that these charges are unfair and worse but that is not enough patently.

Wthout wishing to make a snide comment.

We have to lookat this because it is the reason that the courts are winning the cases they have won. Simple as that.

Peter - Sorry - you've lost me. WHAT is the reason?

Yes Brandon is being appealed in July and when we find out what happens that to will be analysed and used to form a strategy. If we are wise.

Wouldn't it be wiser to not rely on Brandon until we actually do find out? In the meantime wouldn't it be equally wise for CAGGERs to get their claims in NOW - just in case Brandon does not go our way?

Or we could just blame the judge or the system etc.

Sorry if this appears snide to you but i am trying very hard to make a point.

Yes - it is a bit snide. Who else can/should we blame when these are the people still accepting "pre-estimates" when a wealth of historical verifiable data could be made available to prove how unfair such charges actually are and how far out these "pre-estimates" actually were?

We all know that these charges are unfair and worse but that is not enough patently.

I'm glad we agree on something. Hopefully GLC's efforts in Glasgow Sheriff Court will give us a way forward?

BD

My (and many other CAGGERs') experience is these are not contested in any great numbers currently. I am glad you do not wish to encourage any claims. I personally think it's better to have a position where "sooner or later" Banks MIGHT start to contest these (a matter of personal speculation) - than the position "NOW Banks WILL contest them" - which would be a matter of fact!

I do not think anyone (other than you) is asking for proof of what I have put in my signature. In any case testing out the practical effectiveness of my tactics will be a no risk task for any CAGGER wanting to get back EVERY PENNY of unfair (unlawful?) default charges.

BD

BTW - Have I missed something? Has it been actually been established that Bank overdraft charges are actually FAIR?

I thought the SC clearly left the door open on that issue and merely ruled the OFT did not have the right to investigate the "fairness" of such charges? This is certainly the view Lord Phillips attempted to convey on a recent TV programme on the SC's ruling.

Me and many other caggers claimed bank charges we did so for some time, we belived we had the legal right to do so.

It was shown that we didn't.

Now this is an unpeaasant fact get over it.

If we dont want the same thing to happen this time we had better get our argument right this time.

Or we could just bury our heads in the sand and hope it wont happen.

Never been one for doing that always thought it is bad idea.

No you miss the point i do not question your claims but they hardley" set precedent" or can be conirmed can they, it seems that this is the criterea now

I'm glad we agree on something. Hopefully GLC's efforts in Glasgow Sheriff Court will give us a way forward?

BD

the reasn that these caseswhere lost was because the charges were held to be a reflection of liquidated costs.

If you have arguments to counter this then lets hear them.

But arguments that would stand up in a court not rhetoric

I belive the Dunlop case holds the key but i could be wrong

Peter

Me and many other caggers claimed bank charges we did so for some time, we belived we had the legal right to do so.

It was shown that we didn't.

Where exactly was this shown? Have you told GLC they are wasting their time and SLAB's money in still pursuing this matter?

Now this is an unpeaasant fact get over it.

I don't accept this is a FACT - no matter what adjective precedes it- and it is unhelpful to claim it to be so whilst cases are still in progress.

If we dont want the same thing to happen this time we had better get our argument right this time.

My perception is we do have the argument right - and the backing of OFT - which in THIS occasion DOES carry some weight.

Or we could just bury our heads in the sand and hope it wont happen.

Never been one for doing that always thought it is bad idea.

No you miss the point i do not question your claims but they hardley" set precedent" or can be conirmed can they, it seems that this is the criterea now

My claims can certainly be confirmed - but I do not see any need to do so as it is a no-risk tactic for others to follow.

BD

Sorry BD

"Who else should we blame"

That is just the point, it is totally irrelevant who you or i "blame". There is far to much time used in blaming or name calling, it serves no purpose and is self defeating because it stops peope trying to find out why we actually lost.

Peter

the reasn that these caseswhere lost was because the charges were held to be a reflection of liquidated costs.

Lord Phillips was at pains to point out he WAS NOT saying unauthorised overdraft charges were FAIR - and pointed at other ways forward. It looks like most English lawyers seem to have given up for the moment - which is a great pity!

If you have arguments to counter this then lets hear them.

But arguments that would stand up in a court not rhetoric

I'm going to leave that to Mike Dailly of GLC and his team - real lawyers fighting real cases in real life.

I belive the Dunlop case holds the key but i could be wrong

Peter

See comments in bold above.

BD

My claims can certainly be confirmed - but I do not see any need to do so as it is a no-risk tactic for others to follow.

My authority for this belief is the Supreme court the highest court in the land

Peter

Last warning - stop the personal attacks, or this thread will be locked (like all the rest) and offenders will be placed on moderation.

This forum is more about issues people are facing, then big egos and the site team won't allow this to continue.

Any quoting of this post with further comment will be removed - if you have complaints, direct them to site admin.

My authority for this belief is the Supreme court the highest court in the land

Peter

Peter

I'm getting very confused as to which SC ruling you refer.

Are you saying you believe the SC has:

a) supported credit card default (i.e.penalty) charges of up to £12 are FAIR? If so, when was this case?

b) ruled that unauthorised overdraft charges (of any amount) are FAIR? If so, did Lord Phillips get confused both in his summary judgement (shown on TV) and in his recent TV interview?

BD

Hi

The Supreme court ruled that Bank charges where legitimate charges.

The legitimacy of Credit card default charges have still to be decided.

Hence this thread

Peter

I do not wish to be accused of personal attacks and so shall not respond any further after clearing up one point by a statement of indisputable fact.

The SC ruling DID NOT prohibit further legal challenges on unauthorised overdraft charges and at least two such challenges are active in Glasgow Sheriff Court.

BD

I do not wish to be accused of personal attacks and so shall not respond any further after clearing up one point by a statement of indisputable fact.

The SC ruling DID NOT prohibit further legal challenges on unauthorised overdraft charges and at least two such challenges are active in Glasgow Sheriff Court.

BD

The SC stated that the OFT didn't have the powers under the UTCCRs that they brought the case on to assess the fairness of the charges - it's a common misconception that the SC declared the charges as fair. In fact, they said that they should be challenged under reg 5, but that isn't easily done 'en masse' as it requires individual unfairness in the case. (and almost requires individual unfairness per charge applied)

Hi

Dont think i ever said that bank charges were not challengable. with the appropriate legal argument and circumstances i am sure an individual may be able to do so.

But it is a major hll to cimb.

On credit cards i believe we have the oppertunity to develop an effective defence before we are put into the same position, that is the only point i am trying to make.

Peter

Hi

Dont think i ever said that bank charges were not challengable. with the appropriate legal argument and circumstances i am sure an individual may be able to do so.

But it is a major hll to cimb.

On credit cards i believe we have the oppertunity to develop an effective defence before we are put into the same position, that is the only point i am trying to make.

Peter

Quite right, Peter. What you actually said was:

Hi

The Supreme court ruled that Bank charges where legitimate charges.

The legitimacy of Credit card default charges have still to be decided.

Hence this thread

Peter

Are you saying that's now not right?

I can see how you'd be confused, if you're thinking about Dunlop, as Dunlop was about penalty charges, whereas bank charges aren't penalty charges, because the agreement includes provision for them.

Further confusion is that credit card charges have similar terms in agreements, but we haven't seen proof in caselaw that the same applies.

The SC stated that the OFT didn't have the powers under the UTCCRs that they brought the case on to assess the fairness of the charges - it's a common misconception that the SC declared the charges as fair. In fact, they said that they should be challenged under reg 5, but that isn't easily done 'en masse' as it requires individual unfairness in the case. (and almost requires individual unfairness per charge applied)

Car

Yes - that is what I recollect Lord Phillips saying on the day the judgement was announced and interpreted this as the SC pointing very clearly to another way to skin this particular cat. However on a recent TV programme he stressed the SC had NOT rules these unauthorised overdraft charges to be fair and went on to say he regretted the OFT were not legally allowed to challenge the "fairness" of these charges - but the SC were asked to rule on a very narrow point of law regarding what the OFT could do - and it was clear they could not legally challenge these unfair charges.

I fully accept the difficulty of using reg 5 - but believe if GLC win the two cases in Glasgow Sheriff Court we'll get back to the Banks shelling out - as they did before the OFT stuck its oar in - and as they currently do in the case of Credit Card default charges - paying out IN FULL (even the last £12) in order to avoid court action.

I guess it's similar to using CPUTR 2008 at present - if it works for you - then use it - and the sooner the better - just in case some smart Bank lawyer yet again manages to argue black is white!

BD

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4710 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks