Nationwide - 'if you don't like the Ts&Cs, perhaps you should go elsewhere'

StevieFinn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

Only recently heard about the ability to claim back bank charges.

Went through my statements a few weeks back and sent my claim letter (from the template - 700 quid over the last 6 years) a week ago.

Got a letter back from them today saying sorry I wasn't happy with the charges, but they are the Ts & Cs of the account and how they try to be transparent and not charge too much (yeah, right!)

No offer of recompense.

The best bit was the paragraph that said:

'We hope that you will feel you can abide by the terms and conditions of the account but if you cannot, then regrettably it may be appropriate for you to consider alternative banking arrangements.'

My gut response was something like ' I hope you will feel you can abide by current UK contract law but if you cannot, perhaps it would be more appropriate that you pay me what you owe me and stick your account....'

However, I've found banking with them ok (apart from them pulling the same charges [problem] as every other bank). I'm also making a claim against Barclays and still have to calculate what Halifax owe me. Is there a danger of ending up with all these closing my accounts? How will it affect my ability to get credit cards (bit of a card tart ;o)

What's the next stage?

Is there a standard form letter of saying ' read the law, yer charges are too much, you've gotta pay me' but in a more diplomatic way?

Should I accept that they'll automatically close the account?

(If they do, do they still have to make the transfer of direct debits etc easy - banking code?)