Credit Report - Is there anything I can do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I signed up for the free trial with Equifax (I have later attempted to do the same with Experian and Call Credit - Experian claims there is an existing account, it's not mine, but I can't complete a sign up with them due to this and Call Credit will only allow a paper application so I'll have to print and send that off) and noticed a couple of items in my credit report with which I'm not entirely happy.

I have two Table 1 searches for "outstanding debt", both from a company called Mackenzie Hall Kilmarnock (Bat [i assume that the name is cut off].

In addition there is a default registered to an old address, from a company called Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd -- I have never been a customer of Lowell Portfolio 1, they are listed as a Communication Supplier on the credit file with the following information:

Terms 0 @ £ 0 (Monthly)

Status Defaulted

Current Balance £ 514

Start Balance £ 0

Credit Limit £ 0

Default / Delinquent Balance £ 514

Start Date 19/06/2006

Date Updated 26/11/2009

Date Last Delinquent 04/07

Date Satisfied

I have absolutely no idea who/what this is, what worries me slightly is the Start Date (which I presume relates to the date of the agreement?) as this date is after the date for which I moved out of the property.

How/what do I do to have this investigated? Do I, on the basis of the start date and the unfamiliarity with the company contact the police? Has someone fraudulently used my details in order to purchase communication services from Lowell Portfolio 1 and then failed to make payment? Are the Table 1 searches likely to be connected with this account with Lowell Portfolio 1?

To my knowledge I have no outstanding debt (I have credit, but bar being the one late payment marker everything is either "green" or green settled on the credit report dating back as far as the credit report has information for.. the late payment marker annoys me mind, I was two DAYS late, once.) I did have a issue with Equita and the council pursuing me for council tax for a property at which I no longer lived, however, after CAG advise the matter was settled and the council sent me a cheque refunding ME some money!

Edited by christinag
Posted before typing the full sentence. Fingers running off, leaving brain behind.

Hi, Sorry you were missed

With Muck Hall, I would report them to East Ayrshire Trading Standards first then write to them complaining of the Table 1 searches and demand that they supply you with a copy of your permission for them to be searching your credit record.

Mackenzie Hall Ltd. (Registered Office:)

Unit 1A, 58 Portland Street.

Kilmarnock.

Ayrshire KA1 1JG

On to Lowell. They are a debt collection agency and when they bought a debt from a telecommunications company (either mobile or landline) they replaced the original companies name with their own. The question is, Did you have a mobile account that you cancelled in 06? or did you have a landline account you changed around the same time?

It may be that you have the same name as a someone with the real debt and whomever have placed a default against your name.

You can dispute anything on your credit file with Equifax and see what they come back with. In general, they will tell you to take it up with the company concerned. There should be an address on your file for Lowells but just in case there isn't:

Lowell group

Enterprise House

1 Apex View

Leeds

LS11 9BH

If you are absolutely certain this is not your debt then demand they remove it or you will sue them. Only make this threat if you are prepared to carry it through

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Peculiar.

I am still with the same provider for both landline and mobile, I've had the same mobile number/account since 2002. I'm with Virgin Media (previously Telewest) for my landline and have been since 2004. Both accounts moved with me, though Virgin Media shows as having been settled on the date I moved and then a new Virgin Media account shows as having been started for my new address on the same date. There's certainly nothing on my file which makes me believe it is to do with either of these two accounts, and I would have expected either company to have been in touch prior to passing the details to a debt collection agency.

Should there not be any details of the actual company with which this debt originates on the credit file?

What sort of information do I need to include to East Ayrshire Trading Standards? And if I were to pursue the matter with Lowell in court, how would I go about it? Any advise would be gratefully received! Thank you.

With Muck Hall, I would just tell Trading Standards that they have been searching your file without permission. Mark your letter F.A.O Alan Stewart (He has a particular interest with Muck Hall) These table one searches can be harmful to you should you want to take out new credit as potential creditors can see the searches. If it was a table two search, they are invisible to everyone except you (and the CRA obviously)

I suspect Lowell have placed a default against your name for one of two reasons

1 They have the completely wrong person-this does happen

2 When you moved, the new occupant has taken out a contract in your name (ID fraud) This does happen quite frequently

I would contact Lowells about this but also put a notice of correction (up to 200 words) against the default with Equifax. Once you get the credit reports from the other two, do the same.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE