Welcome Finance : biggest mistake we ever made

duff1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4649 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

can anyone help we took out a secured load with welcome about 2 years ago for £10,000 after they had added broker fees ect it was for About £14,000 we have been paying £302 a month ever since but we have fallen behind and asked if we can sort out a payment plan but they refused. we phoned to make a payment but as it was not for the full amount they refused to take it and put the phone down. i have been told that out of that only £17 of what we pay goes towards the loan the rest as they say is capitalisation.

i have made a complaint in writing which they have not suported saying they are not aware of any financil hardship this is dispite us gouing to court for a reposetion hearing with our mortgage company and as it it a secured loan they were well aware. i just dont know what to do anymore they phone all thre time several times a day and when they do they are intimidating and vial.

thay have even contacted our mortgage company after the hearing to try to push for reposesion anyway but as we are upto date with the payment plan they told them to no (thank god).

are there no levels they wont stoop to.

any help would be greatly apreciated.

Hi Duff1,

I am dealing with the same type of problems. I am no expert by any means but I will be glad to help you where I can. First things first. Stop talking to them on the phone. This is a big no no. It only serves to benefit them and not you. Get everything on paper so that you have evidence should you require it.

Secondly, make a big pot of coffee or tea and pull up a chair. This forum has alot of useful info, but it will take some time on your part to find what pertains to you. I cant help you with everything, but there is alot you can do to start. You will need to have all of your paperwork together. This has all the information (or lack of information) that will help you build your case. You might find that others offering help will want to see your agreements and correspondence in order to consider the best approach. You can scan these as needed, but if and when you do, be sure to blank out or delete any personal info such as names and addresses, barcodes, complaint numbers, case numbers etc....basically anything that would be identifiable. Leave all of the dates and figures in place.

Now for the first letter. You have the right to request any form of communication with them you choose. In this case in writing, here is a sample. Please edit it as required.

Your Name

Your Address

Welcome Financial Services Limited

Their address

Date

RE: Your account number

Dear Sir or Madam,

I write to you regarding the above account and recent telephone calls relating to the same.

On DATE, I spoke to one of your representatives with regard to making a payment on the account. The payment to be made was a reduced payment due to reasons set out to you in a letter dated XXXX, of which I enclose a copy for your ease of reference. Unfortunately and to my disappointment, I was refused this offer of payment.

I am uncertain as to why my payment would be refused. As you know, offers of repayments to lenders should be accepted, and lenders are required to make reasonable efforts to reach a repayment agreement with those experienceing financial difficulties. I can only assume that Welcome are deliberately frustrating my attempts to reach an agreement, in order to levy aditional charges and fees against me. If this is found to be the case, I will take all necessary steps, including legal action if required, to reclaim said charges or fees. In any case, the recent treatment by Welcome has been duly noted.

I therefore request that you set out in writing your reasons for not accepting my offer of payment, as well as explaining why you refuse to assist me whilst I am facing financial hardship. I would also request that you set out in writing any reasonable steps you have taken in order to reach a reasonable repayment agreement with me.

Further, as you are aware, the lending code stipulates that lenders should not refuse a request for a specific form of communication. Due to recent treatment by Welcome staff, which I deem to be unhelpful, threatening, and harassment, I request that any and all future communication with me be in writing only. This means that Welcome should not contact me in any other way, to include telephone calls or visits to my residence. I also request that all telephone numbers that you hold on my account to include landline and mobile be immediately removed from your records.

I trust you understand my position and ask that you deal with the requests outlined above following your normal complaints procedure. I look forward to your reply in the first instance of your receipt.

Yours sincerely

Print your Name (Don't Sign)

cc: Compliance Department

Please edit this as required (SPELLCHECK!), use your own words, add or delete information as appropriate. Send recorded delivery and keep proof of postage and delivery. According to the Welcome complaints procedure, you are to contact your local branch in the first instance. I would send copies to both. You should have the address to your local branch. The address for compliance is :

Welcome Financial Services Ltd

Compliance Department

Mere Way

Ruddington Feilds Business Park

Ruddington

Nottingham

NG11 6NZ

The above is a "friendly" letter. You could write a more forceful letter which cites various legilation etc, but personally I prefer to take a cordial approach before playing hard ball. Remember just because you dont cite legilation doesnt mean you dont still have the same right(s) afforded by the legislation. You cant be expected to have law degrees or to engage your solicitors simply to receive the fair treatment you are entitled to!

Once you get this done and have a bit of breathing room, you can address your other concerns. I hope that helps. :)

Edited by MrZ
Spelling :)

Please overlook my typos and spelling mistakes, sometimes my fingers arent in sync with my brain :)

I am just a consumer and have no legal training. My posts are opinion only, based on my own limited experience. If in doubt you should seek legal advice from a qualified practitioner.

Activ Kapital - Disputed £4,000.00 - 04/04/2011 Settled! WON!

HSBC Current Account - Defaulted for £200.00 Charges. - 19/05/2011 Charges Refunded Default Removed! WON!

HSBC Loan Account - £16,000.00 Unsecured Loan - 05/07/2011 Disputed No Further Contact WON! (for Now)

Barclaycard Account - Disputed account and £1500.00 Charges. - 18/07/2011 Charges Refunded! WON!

London Scottisht - Disputed account and Charges. £25,000.00 - 06/2011 Balance reduced by 95% WON!

thanks that is a big help i will get sent off today.

i have been reading alot of stuff about welcome on here none of it good but i am shocked how they seem to be getting away with it.

everyone seems to have alot of information but the only information i have is a copy of the agreement (i think ) they never send anything in writing other than the reply to my letter of complaint which was a waste of timeits all phone calls, i have never recived a statement from them does that matter i will request one in writing.

thanks that is a big help i will get sent off today.

i have been reading alot of stuff about welcome on here none of it good but i am shocked how they seem to be getting away with it.

everyone seems to have alot of information but the only information i have is a copy of the agreement (i think ) they never send anything in writing other than the reply to my letter of complaint which was a waste of timeits all phone calls, i have never recived a statement from them does that matter i will request one in writing.

Well as you have noticed, you are not alone. My loan with them dates back to 2003, I am still waiting on them to send me the requested documentation...even though I have all my own copies anyway. I am still trying to figure out the best approach with them in my case.

In your case however, I would think the next step would be to officially request copies of your agreement (CCA request) and any other information they hold on you (SAR). You can find templates to both of these requests in the library. Once you have your docs, there are others here who are in a better position than myself to advise.

But feel good about things, you have now taken control of the situation. They will have to answer to you now. :)

Please overlook my typos and spelling mistakes, sometimes my fingers arent in sync with my brain :)

I am just a consumer and have no legal training. My posts are opinion only, based on my own limited experience. If in doubt you should seek legal advice from a qualified practitioner.

HSBC Current Account - Defaulted for £200.00 Charges. - 19/05/2011 Charges Refunded Default Removed! WON!

HSBC Loan Account - £16,000.00 Unsecured Loan - 05/07/2011 Disputed No Further Contact WON! (for Now)

Barclaycard Account - Disputed account and £1500.00 Charges. - 18/07/2011 Charges Refunded! WON!

London Scottisht - Disputed account and Charges. £25,000.00 - 06/2011 Balance reduced by 95% WON!

• 1 month later...

Yes, that constitutes harrassment. Did you send the letter as suggested by MrZ? Was it signed for as received? Do you still actually have a local branch, or is your account now with one of the central units in Nottingham? The sort of harrassment you are experiencing is somewhat more typical of a local branch. If you have sent the letter and it has been received you would need to do a stronger letter ("playing hard ball" as MrZ puts it).

can anyone help we took out a secured load with welcome about 2 years ago for £10,000 after they had added broker fees ect it was for About £14,000 we have been paying £302 a month ever since but we have fallen behind and asked if we can sort out a payment plan but they refused. we phoned to make a payment but as it was not for the full amount they refused to take it and put the phone down. i have been told that out of that only £17 of what we pay goes towards the loan the rest as they say is capitalisation.

i have made a complaint in writing which they have not suported saying they are not aware of any financil hardship this is dispite us gouing to court for a reposetion hearing with our mortgage company and as it it a secured loan they were well aware. i just dont know what to do anymore they phone all thre time several times a day and when they do they are intimidating and vial.

thay have even contacted our mortgage company after the hearing to try to push for reposesion anyway but as we are upto date with the payment plan they told them to no (thank god).

are there no levels they wont stoop to.

any help would be greatly apreciated.

We all have our cross to bear with Welcome on the plus side Welcome are in default and are going down the pan fast, im guessing they are trying to grab as much money as they can be repossesing homes, cars etc..Well done your mortgage comp for telling Welcome to do one, as previous posters have stated get everything down in writing and dont speak to them on the phone.There are great templates on here to tell Welcome to go shove it and soon you will be back in control not them !!Bet you have charges and fees on this account and other little add ons that Welcome think they can have..get a copy of your CCA and breakdown of payments & charges on the account..As mentioned before Welcome are in the toilet and soon one giant flush will get rid of this turd like company

well today has not been a good day they are not listening 18 phone calls to my husbands mobile and several to the house phone but no messages left.

wouldent this be harrassment?:|

Yes its harassment. You have a few options ahead of you, but a little more info and an update as to where things are at the moment will be useful to those wishing to offer advice. Meanwhile have a browse through the templates library, you may well find exactly what you need to deal with your issues.

well today has not been a good day they are not listening 18 phone calls to my husbands mobile and several to the house phone but no messages left.

wouldent this be harrassment?:|

What grade A arsewipes !!! Throw this at them from the OFT guidelines on collection :Physical/psychological harassment2.5 Putting pressure on debtors or third parties is considered to be oppressive.2.6 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:a. contacting debtors at unreasonable times and at unreasonable intervalsf. pressurising debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large instalments,or to increase payments when they are unable to do so

My i make a suggestion, ask WELCOME to take you to court or suggest the idea to them, the reason i say this is that in '07 we had a loan with GE money lending, we had mortage arrears.

So we went to court, we sat in a room, myself, the judge, and a repersentive of GE money lending - wanted to take our home, myself, wife, 15 year old, 12 year old, 9 year old.

I went on my own to court, not wanting to suffer the indignation of what may happen. The case started with GE money stating that i owned them money which was true, he explained that the amount was about £400 a month, and because i defaulted on payments they were within there rights to reposes the house, the judge then asked me if i contested this to which i said yes, as i had offered to make payments of £200 a month, to which GE refused the offer, the judge then proceeded to rip this GE rep to pieces, asking why was the amount not acceptable, then as you say telephone calls at all hours, the judge said they will cease, thus the outcome was they had to accept £200 a month, no more phone calls or threating letters, but it did play havoc with my credit rating as i had to put notice's on my file, i did threaten them with further court action if they didn't stop.

I hope you can draw some help from this post.

My i make a suggestion, ask WELCOME to take you to court or suggest the idea to them, the reason i say this is that in '07 we had a loan with GE money lending, we had mortage arrears.

So we went to court, we sat in a room, myself, the judge, and a repersentive of GE money lending - wanted to take our home, myself, wife, 15 year old, 12 year old, 9 year old.

I went on my own to court, not wanting to suffer the indignation of what may happen. The case started with GE money stating that i owned them money which was true, he explained that the amount was about £400 a month, and because i defaulted on payments they were within there rights to reposes the house, the judge then asked me if i contested this to which i said yes, as i had offered to make payments of £200 a month, to which GE refused the offer, the judge then proceeded to rip this GE rep to pieces, asking why was the amount not acceptable, then as you say telephone calls at all hours, the judge said they will cease, thus the outcome was they had to accept £200 a month, no more phone calls or threating letters, but it did play havoc with my credit rating as i had to put notice's on my file, i did threaten them with further court action if they didn't stop.

I hope you can draw some help from this post.

Had a similar situation with Halifax judge made a Suspended order , went to that on my own expecting to face repossession but had my arrears cleared in six months.Cant believe that a company would make a family especially kids homeless !!! Makes a change to see a Judge using common sense and so chuffed that the GE tossbag was done over in court Well Done !I think what everybody is saying that Welcome can stamp their feet as hard as they like does not mean you have to bow down to them and rememeber being in debt is not a crime despite what creditors or DCA's might think !!

It is the local branch that is calling they can ring every couple of mins on my husbands mobile they are even using their mobiles:-x. i am writing another not so nice letter but should i send a copy to the local branch as well as the head office.

Also in the meantime should i advise the people calling that they should not contact me via phone or just ignor the calls.

im at the point i dernt answer the phone in case its them

It is the local branch that is calling they can ring every couple of mins on my husbands mobile they are even using their mobiles:-x. i am writing another not so nice letter but should i send a copy to the local branch as well as the head office.

Also in the meantime should i advise the people calling that they should not contact me via phone or just ignor the calls.

im at the point i dernt answer the phone in case its them

Pure harrasment !! Also decitful using their mobiles..I would send letter to Branch stating only contact in writing and to remove contact numbers from their system.Fire off complaint to Head office outlining the above and marking letter as an official complaint, ask for acknowledgement letter by return and a copy of their complaints procedure.I assume it will be 8 weeks to resolve a complaint otherwise you can contact the FOS.I would include in my letter to head office that if not resolved within the above timescale you will forward on to the FOS.Keep a note of their calls (dates and times) these can used if you need to raise with FOS.If they call and you are tempted to answer just say all correspondence in writing and end call...

thanks for that i am sending a copy to both the head office and the local branch recorded delivery so they cant weezle out of it.

will keep you posted

thanks again to everyone for your advice its greatly appreciated:-)

thanks for that i am sending a copy to both the head office and the local branch recorded delivery so they cant weezle out of it.

will keep you posted

thanks again to everyone for your advice its greatly appreciated:-)

Stick with it Welcome are tricky at best...check the forums on here and download the templates they will help.It will be a long process but if you have all the paperwork it will help in the end showing Welcome at being unreasonable and defying rules on collection techniques.Dont forget the monkeys at the local branches get comission on payments and they need to get as much money in as possible to keep the Welcome boat afloat although at the moment it's full of holes and sinking fast !! Just the monkeys and rats left...LOLThis site has helped me fight off house repossesion,numerous DCA's , PPI and charges refunds and even a couple of debts written off..

quick update made the mistake of answering the phone after several phone calls from them i had had enough when i told them contact in writing only, they threatened to come to my door.

fought repo with my mortgage and came to aggreementwith them. but i have put my house up for sale now any way as i cant afford to pay both welcome and mortgage.

wish i had just let them take the house....has anyone ever managed to win against these people i have only just started and already stressed to hell with them.

quick update made the mistake of answering the phone after several phone calls from them i had had enough when i told them contact in writing only, they threatened to come to my door.

fought repo with my mortgage and came to aggreementwith them. but i have put my house up for sale now any way as i cant afford to pay both welcome and mortgage.

wish i had just let them take the house....has anyone ever managed to win against these people i have only just started and already stressed to hell with them.

Unless you want to sell your house for your own reasons, I certainly wouldnt do it or consider it, just to deal with Welcome. You have MANY MANY MANY options still available to you. Obviously you know your situation better than anyone else, but unless you have made the decision because its what YOU want, then I would encourage you to not make any rash decisions.

Welcome are bullies. You can beat them. I for one will offer you as much help and support as I can. I am sure others will do the same.

Edited by MrZ
Spellcheck

First thing is keep calm this is what Welcome do best phone and threaten to sound round some illiterate halfwit...they want you to get upset and make rash promises to pay them...firstly your mortgage company will not let them reposess so Welcome are screwed going down that alley for now.Your property may be in negative equity therefore if you do sell and the mortgage company get paid first there may not be enough left for Welcome again counter productive for them.Dont quote me on this but if it does go to court which will cost Welcome to do anyway you can prove that you attempted to pay something and Welcome were refusing point blank thats why it is important to keep a note of calls, letters, door visits etc.Have you sent them a letter saying what you can afford to pay ? If you have a certain amount in mind send it to them recorded asking they cease all charges and interest, it's important to keep a note of what you send and the replies from Welcome.Send them a letter stating no door visit by any means , if they threaten send a representative say you will report it to the police.I wont lie and say it will take some time and it will be draining at times but you will get this sorted.I've been with Welcome coming up to three years now with a HP Loan , now ready to offload them this month thanks to some PPI refunds , charges and a nice clause in my contract which I overlooked but thanks to this forum am in a position to get rid of for good !

First thing is keep calm this is what Welcome do best phone and threaten to sound round some illiterate halfwit...they want you to get upset and make rash promises to pay them...firstly your mortgage company will not let them reposess so Welcome are screwed going down that alley for now.Your property may be in negative equity therefore if you do sell and the mortgage company get paid first there may not be enough left for Welcome again counter productive for them.Dont quote me on this but if it does go to court which will cost Welcome to do anyway you can prove that you attempted to pay something and Welcome were refusing point blank thats why it is important to keep a note of calls, letters, door visits etc.Have you sent them a letter saying what you can afford to pay ? If you have a certain amount in mind send it to them recorded asking they cease all charges and interest, it's important to keep a note of what you send and the replies from Welcome.Send them a letter stating no door visit by any means , if they threaten send a representative say you will report it to the police.I wont lie and say it will take some time and it will be draining at times but you will get this sorted.I've been with Welcome coming up to three years now with a HP Loan , now ready to offload them this month thanks to some PPI refunds , charges and a nice clause in my contract which I overlooked but thanks to this forum am in a position to get rid of for good !

Good advice by jj69.

Dont do anything YOU dotn want to do. Welcome can bully and shout, demand until they are blue in the face.

Might I request you give a bullet point list of exactly where things are now...perhaps a short timeline. Then you will be prepared and can examine what the next steps should be.

BTW dont stop answerign your phone. What if its an emergency? Put a pad and pen by the phone. Carry one with you if they ring mobiles. When they ring note the date and time. When they ask for your details or security questions, say that you must firt have the name of the person who is calling. Note the name if given. Once it is given/or not, refuse to answer the security questions. If they carry on, note what was said. Otherwise hang up. These are steps you should take to help you in the long run. Always keep in mind, they have no power over you. You are in control, not them!

Good advice by jj69.

Dont do anything YOU dotn want to do. Welcome can bully and shout, demand until they are blue in the face.

Might I request you give a bullet point list of exactly where things are now...perhaps a short timeline. Then you will be prepared and can examine what the next steps should be.

BTW dont stop answerign your phone. What if its an emergency? Put a pad and pen by the phone. Carry one with you if they ring mobiles. When they ring note the date and time. When they ask for your details or security questions, say that you must firt have the name of the person who is calling. Note the name if given. Once it is given/or not, refuse to answer the security questions. If they carry on, note what was said. Otherwise hang up. These are steps you should take to help you in the long run. Always keep in mind, they have no power over you. You are in control, not them!

Totally right sorry to sound flippant but treat it like a game, if they do get through refuse to answer their security questions they will no doubt shout and threaten you with legal action or say a Judge will reposses your home and other such crap but just in a calm voice say ok, thanks for the chat and put the phone down, honest as easy as that.Do it once and you will feel like you have control ! On a side note I have two DCA's who were on the mobile harrassing me for a payments one day late..started up a complaints procedure , wrote to the office of fair trading and gave em both barrels, result one DCA has gone the other has my acccount on hold awaiting documents from orginal creditor oh and has sent me two grovelling letters telling me they have removed my contact details while investigating my complaint..It can be done especially with Welcome so hang on in there and post up any further issues with these cretins...

Theres a thread in the Welcome forum of a very similar situation. After the original poster sent a letter saying no more phone calls, the branch continued to call. He wrote a complaint letter and got a cheque for £100.00 as compensation. They are wrong and they know it. They are hoping you wont stand up to them.

No phone calls today yippee !! fingers crossed

well i got a statement today first thing in writing. apparently the amount of credit we got was £15197.50 a nice round number with and annula interest of 22.20%

for a minimum aggreed period of 144 months.

the closing balance is now £15939.16 we got the loan in may 2008 do these figurs stack up it doesent make alot of sense to me how can i pay a 10 year loan off if it keeps going up:?:

and the capitalisation figure is extortion its always a different amount should it be the same or not if they dont know what they are doing how should we:razz:

The interest will always be a different amount. The interest is based on the daily balance. So as the balance changes, so will the amount of interest being applied. Thats is not to say the RATE will change. You will likely have a term stating that that if they change the rate, they must notify you in writing xx number of days in adanace of such change.

If you want others to examine the statements for the purpose of advice, you will need to scan and post it here. Be sure to remove any identifiable personal info such as name, address, barcodes, etc. You should leave in the dates and amounts.

As stated earlier, a timeline of events would be helpful as well.