council tax - advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought my flat towards the end of '09, but promptly got asked to move abroad for a few months with work.

I called the council before leaving and asked about council tax. They said that our flats were not banded yet (they are a block of new build flats) so the girl said she could not set me up yet.

In the rush to sort things out for my few months abroad I completely forgot to follow this up and have never heard a thing from the council since.

I notice that a couple of the other flats in my building are not on the council tax valuation list, but others are. (I know they're occupied so am guessin gthey may just not have registered to pay council tax?).

I got back a while ago but just hadn't thought about it until now. I'm happy to start paying my tax but I don't want to get lumped with a masive lump-sum repayment.

Does anyone have advice for how to approach the council about this in such a way that I can set myself up to start regular monthly payments but without incurring any fines or lump-sum repayments?

Thanks

Phone them

The longer you leave it, the bigger the debt will grow

Some councils will allow you to repay the arrears by installments, others won't as it has been quite a long time and the debt will have wracked up quite a bit

If they are relucatant to allow you to spread the debt, you could try escalating the matter to senior management, or asking your local councillors to assist

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.