Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3702 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



I bought my flat towards the end of '09, but promptly got asked to move abroad for a few months with work.

I called the council before leaving and asked about council tax. They said that our flats were not banded yet (they are a block of new build flats) so the girl said she could not set me up yet.


In the rush to sort things out for my few months abroad I completely forgot to follow this up and have never heard a thing from the council since.


I notice that a couple of the other flats in my building are not on the council tax valuation list, but others are. (I know they're occupied so am guessin gthey may just not have registered to pay council tax?).

I got back a while ago but just hadn't thought about it until now. I'm happy to start paying my tax but I don't want to get lumped with a masive lump-sum repayment.


Does anyone have advice for how to approach the council about this in such a way that I can set myself up to start regular monthly payments but without incurring any fines or lump-sum repayments?



Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved to the Council Tax Forum.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts


Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.


Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit



17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Phone them


The longer you leave it, the bigger the debt will grow


Some councils will allow you to repay the arrears by installments, others won't as it has been quite a long time and the debt will have wracked up quite a bit


If they are relucatant to allow you to spread the debt, you could try escalating the matter to senior management, or asking your local councillors to assist

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...