Bus Gate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4775 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have found a number of links about Bus Gates and this official note from one of the Local authorities

Bus Gates

A bus gate is a signposted stretch of road, along which use is restricted to public transport and (where specified) taxis and other authorised vehicles. Bus gates have been introduced in areas where it would be inappropriate for a high volume of through traffic, such as residential areas. They are designed to reduce the amount of traffic whilst still giving access to public transport for the use of residents. Travelling through abus gate will result in the levying of a Penalty Charge Notice.

I fail really to understand the difference between a bus gate and a bus lane - MAINLY - I fail to see when, where and how Bus Gate sign applies and what they suppose to look like. I still fail to understand the proper definition of a Bus Gate too.

THANK YOU

I assume that the difference is that a bus gate renders a whole section of road off limits to normal traffic. Where as a bus lane merely apportions a part of the road for the use of buses leaving the rest of the road available for normal traffic.

I imagine the signs would be similar - in that they declare the road or parts thereof (in respect to bus lanes) off limits to normal traffic. The simple way of dealing with this is to not drive on any road or on a part of any road which is sign posted as being for buses only.

Yeah, a bus gate means a stretch where only buses can drive through - so no cars cen get to the road beyond. With a bus lane, a car can just drive alongside it and get to the far side.

Thank you, it helps a lot (sort of obvious, now!).

Are sign regulations the same? And what about a PCN, does it need to say bus gate, please?

Usually, a Bus Gate contravention is a code 33: Using a route restricted to certain vehicles, normally dealt with under the London Local Authorites and Transport for London Act 2003. Bus lane contraventions i.e. being in a bus lane is a code 34 and normally covered by the LLA Act 1996 (as amended) and the 2000 and 2003 Acts.

Sometimes, cyclists are allowed in bus gates and this should be signed. The usual sign for a bus gate - which is a short length of road - is the blue roundel sign to diagram 953 and 953.2. If cyclists are allowed, it should also be clearly marked on the road.

Edited by HYMN AND MI

A bus gate prohibits any vehicles other than those permitted to use the road (buses, taxis, cycles) in the direction of the buses, a bus lane usually has two lanes one along the kerb for buses and an outside lane for other traffic. Both create bus lanes as far as the law is concerned except in London where different legislation is used as pointed out above.