style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The letter was only pertaining to the period between 25th of March and 17th of April... It was a backdated payment.

It didnt tell me where and when to sent a new sick note either i phoned for that info but didnt ask about payments doh!!

• 2 months later...

I am just about to migrate from employment support to jsa.I suffer with major depressive disorder and anxiety/ocd .I was only on esa for 4 months after being sacked from my part time job for my anxiety and ocd. I was within the 3 month probation period so nothing I could do .

I feel ready to try again with work and hope I get a more sympathetic employer.

Im 56 so I don't anticipate it will be an easy task finding work.

My question regards jobseekers, my mental health determines what i am able to do.

If i found myself in a fast paced stressful situation i would be straight back to square one.

Will the adviser at the jobcentre help me find work suitable for me?

Also i currently have my 25 year son live with me so i get a small amount of housing benefit and teeny bit of council tax benefit.

However he is going to join his older brother in Brisbane Australia and leaves in August of this year:(

Gutted to loose two sons,but proud they have the spirit and drive to get out of this country where we are going to hell in a handcart rapidly.Nothing here for them at all.

My question is regarding housing benefit i know i will have to pay the bedroom tax and my sons have told me they will cover that.

However my sons friend has said he would lodge with me .Would that work.who do i inform that i have a lodger.

Thank you in advance

Hi, Are you in social housing (council, housing association)? You would need to inform the housing department of the LA and the association.

Also you would need to advise the DWP if you have any benefits that may be affected by the income arising from having a lodger.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

You are allowed lodgers but do need to inform the HA that you have them. However all but £20 per week of anything the lodger pays you will be deducted from your income related JSA or ESA. Personally, I think it costs more than £20 in electricity/water etc. to keep someone so unless you have 2 spare bedrooms, the saving in bedroom tax by having a lodger is not worth it financially.

Once universal credit comes in (if, it comes in and doesn't all go belly up like many experts predict) then you would be allowed to keep rent from lodgers up to the amount allowed by the HMRC but lodgers no longer will count towards a room being used so you still need to pay the bedroom tax despite having a lodger.

I'm very interested to any replies to your first question though Lottie as have wondered the same myself. ie. how understanding of your needs a JCP advisor is and whether they allow you ONLY to apply for jobs that you know will not make your MH deteriorate. I will watch this thread with interest.

I'm very interested to any replies to your first question though Lottie as have wondered the same myself. ie. how understanding of your needs a JCP advisor is and whether they allow you ONLY to apply for jobs that you know will not make your MH deteriorate. I will watch this thread with interest.

Yes that is essential!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

So really after juggling around with all the sums a lodger is not going to help me financially and weigh that up with the fact I will have to share my space with someone I do not know,im fast going off that idea...

As regards the help I may or may not get regards my mental health and the jobcentre, I shall keep you up to date with that as the claim progresses. Thankyou for advise and interest...

So really after juggling around with all the sums a lodger is not going to help me financially and weigh that up with the fact I will have to share my space with someone I do not know,im fast going off that idea...

As regards the help I may or may not get regards my mental health and the jobcentre, I shall keep you up to date with that as the claim progresses. Thankyou for advise and interest...

I understand your feelings!!

Please do not hesitate to come back to this thread if you need advice on benefits there are some very knowledgeable people here who can help you.

My question regards jobseekers, my mental health determines what i am able to do.

If i found myself in a fast paced stressful situation i would be straight back to square one.

Will the adviser at the jobcentre help me find work suitable for me?

On your first visit to the Jobcentre, you will be required to sign a Jobseekers Agreement (usually abbreviated to JSAg) - This is your opportunity to specify which types of work you are looking for and which types you an not do. For example, if you have difficulties relating to people, then put down "Can not work with public or in telesales". In addition, don't tell them that you drive and then look at public transport available in your area - Available hours for work would then be two hours after the buses start to run up until two hours before services shut down for the evening - In my area, that is 06:30 to 22:30 Mon-Sat, but I'm available 09:00-18:00 Mon-Fri (want time to go out in an evening).

If you have a car, and don't mind working odd shift patterns, just because you have stated 09:00-20:00 on your JSAg, you still have the choice to do that work - It just limits the unsuitable jobs that the JCP adviser can push you towards.

Finally: Do not be pressured in to signing a JSAg (once you do, it becomes a binding part of you JSA claim). If there are parts that you have an objection to, ask for it to be referred to a Decision Maker.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Also a GP can give you support here, for instance due to your health, if your GP feels that realistically (for example) 16hrs of work are as much as you can do, and that lifting heavy stuff or busy places are not realistic, they can state this in writing and the jc will take it into consideration when doing the jsag.

• 1 month later...

I am in receipt of jobseekers benefit and have been for the past 4/5 weeks or so...

Prior to that a long spell on esa (Anxiety/Depression )

I have been told i have to attend my local college as part of my jsa agreement for a 2 day skills assessment course..

I would love to learn a new skill even though im well into my fifties...

What does it entail...Has anyone been...

Little bit anxious about the whol;e thing...I dont function too well in places that are unfamiliar to me :/

If it is anything like the courses I've been on round here, it will cover the following:

• Job searches and where to look.
  • CV writing and tailoring for specific jobs.
  • Alternative occupations that you can transfer existing skills to.
  • Speculative letters (and if you're lucky, why they are a waste of time).
  • Free tea/coffee and lunch - Don't count on it.

Look on it as an opportunity to find out what courses are available beyond the basic ESOL, ECDL, and junior school level math. It's only two days and you should be out of there by 15:00 or 16:00 so have time in town if you need it (don't forget to ask for travel expenses from JCP/DWP). It also means you have scope for avoiding any other "work related programme" for the next twelve months as I believe the JCP can only mandate you on one such "course" in a year.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hello and thankyou for the reply....

I have just spoken to my son in law he attended same course a month or so ago and he tells me ..Its a half a day literacy tests and a full day interview skills and group discussions......

• 1 month later...

I currantly live in a two bed flat and claim jsa. I have thought about and not lightly, taking a lodger as i just cant manage on my small income, and paying the bedroom tax. What i dont get is when i go through the benefit checker adding a lodger it comes up that i loose all my jsa ,get housing benefit but still have to pay bedroom tax so what am i missing. I also checked it without claiming jsa and the results were the same in which case why put my self through the stress of signing on once a fortnight. Im confused can anyone enlighten me?

So ,is This is how it works...I take a lodger who pays me £80 a week (seems to be the going rate for round here) I no longer claim job seekers allowance because its classed as an income.

I notify the council and i will recieve full housing benefit even though im not in receipt of any benefit...

I have typed this details into the benefit checker and it still comes up with you have to pay £12.86 a week for the spare room?? Surely it isnt spare anymore the lodger is in it...

Does the money your lodger pays include any cooked meals at your expense? Does he or she have a formal tenancy/lodger agreement in writing?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.