• Tweets

• okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Squirming Equifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4761 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few months ago I completed a survey commissioned by the ICO on the performance of credit reference agencies. I'm not sure how I got asked to participate but I guess I'm on an ICO mailing list.

As part of the response I was asked whether, if I had had an unsatisfactory response to a CRA complaint, I would be prepared for the ICO to share this information with the CRA. Given that I had just had a massive run-in with Equifax, I ticked yes.

Over the last couple of days I've had an exchange of messages with Equifax through their online system. The first of these is set out in this post. The second post gives the background to the issue and the basis of my complaints and the third is their response. I've asked for specific opinions in the the third post.

Anyway, here is their first message to me:

Dear Mr Seminole

We've been contacted following a survey you carried out with the Information Commissioner's Office.

I understand you've had some issues with your Equifax Credit Report which I'd like to discuss further with you and work to resolve.

To do this, please contact me or a member of my team on 0800 917 3035 or by updating this enquiry with any outstanding issues you have and we'll be happy to look into this for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards

Mandy Russell

Customer Relations

Here is my reply to them:

Thank you for your message.

Just over 12 months ago I discovered that First Credit (FC) had searched my credit file. I had not given that company permission to do so. The searches were listed under Table 1 with the narrative description "Outstanding Debt".

As I didn't know what this search related to, I contacted your company and you should have a record of the correspondence in this system. I asked why FC had been allowed to search my credit file without my permission. The reply I received stated that you would temporarily remove the search and contact FC. Having done so you then told me that FC had said that the search was valid, you were reinstating it to my credit file and that I should contact FC on a given number.

As this was happening FC wrote to me giving me details of the alleged debt. Having checked my records I discovered that it was both a disputed small debt and potentially subject to the Limitation Act. Having invited FC to commence legal proceedings to recover this debt, they withdrew their demand for payment. I then entered into a protracted email correspondence with them to get them to remove the searches from my credit file.

I have several complaints against Equifax:

1) You allowed these searches to remain on my file when I clearly told you that they should not be there. You took the word of a debt collector and reinstated the searches for a debt that was in serious dispute. I regard your actions as libelous and potentially actionable.

2) You denied all responsibility for the data being held on my file. According to the Information Commissioner's Office, credit reference agencies are as responsible for the information shown in credit files as the organisations that provide it. It may not suit you to admit this but it is my understanding of the legal position.

3) Leaving aside the issue of whether the searches should have been included in the file at all, you allowed these searches to be listed under table 1. This both affects credit score and is visible to other lenders. My understanding is that "outstanding debt" searches should be shown under table 2. I have not asked this before but I would like to know why FC's searches were shown under table 1. In my opinion, you allowed FC to use a table 1 search as a means of debt collection. In other words, FC registered a search that damaged my credit rating as a way of getting me to contact them. You facilicated this process by registering the search under table 1, refusing to remove it (or accept responsibility for it) and then telling me that I would need to telephone FC to resolve the matter.

My experience of this matter has confirmed my view that credit reference agencies have unacceptably close links with the debt collection industry and are in need of better regulation to protect the interests of the consumer.

And here is the reply from them today. I would be interested in any views and, in particular about the use of Table 1 to record 'outstanding debt' searches@:

Thank you for your response.

Each Equifax client is required to sign a contract prior to gaining access to our system. This contract stipulates that the client in question must seek consent, from the individual concerned, prior to completing a search. Equifax works closely with our clients to ensure that they fully understand this requirement which is specified under the current Data Protection Act.

It is the responsibility of the client in question to ensure that this consent is sought and that appropriate records are maintained to substantiate each search completed with Equifax.

The consent to undertake these searches is commonly included in the fair processing notices signed by an individual at the point of application for a credit agreement; however, in the cases of trace or outstanding debt searches such as the one you've mentioned, the consent is carried from the point of application for credit to include searches by the company or a debt collection agency who have purchased the debt to attempt to trace the debtor.

At the time the search was disputed it was not mentioned in your communication with Equifax that the search related to a debt that was possibly statute barred. Had this been highlighted at a later stage we would have of course re-raised the matter with the company requesting they investigate the updated information.

I understand your comments about the dispute process we use to investigate information; however the dispute process used by Equifax and the other Credit Reference Agencies is agreed in conjunction with the Information Commissioner's Office and is in line with current Data Protection legislation. Although Equifax run quality checks on information received, there is certain information which we are unable to independently validate before this is added to our records and in these cases the notice of dispute process is designed to investigate any possible errors. As part of the agreed dispute process the companies are not obligated to provide documentary evidence to support their response and as such Equifax are unable to act to amend or remove data unless the response from the company authorises this.

Outstanding Debt searches can show in either Table 1 or Table 2 on a report depending on the likelihood of a correct match to the individual being traced. Those that do show in Table 1 on your credit report do so because although they are not viewable to potential lenders, some of our clients use this data to calculate an automated credit score so in some instances it can have a minor impact on your credit worthiness. The searches in table 2 have no impact on you.

I'm sorry that the communication you had with Equifax previously didn't resolve your enquiry and am pleased to learn that the searches have since been removed following your direct contact with the company. If you have any other questions relating to the regulation of the credit reference agencies and the suitability of the dispute process in use, I'm afraid I can only suggest that you direct your comments or queries to the Information Commissioner's Office.

Kindest Regards

Mandy Russell

Customer Relations

• 2 weeks later...
Those that do show in Table 1 on your credit report do so because although they are not viewable to potential lenders, some of our clients use this data to calculate an automated credit score so in some instances it can have a minor impact on your credit worthiness.

Does this sentence make any sense? Either table 1 searches are accessible to lenders or they are not.

Advice and comments posted by The Debt Star reflect only my personal opinion and it is up to you alone to decide what action you should take. You should always seek independent legal advice from your own qualified legal advisor.

Hi,

Just Subbing, need info on Equifax as sent a Notice of Correction and received a reply say that after communicating with the desputed DCA they have removed the NoC.

Regards...

Please note: I have no formal qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah - the same Equifax that allows companies like HFO to send copies of reports to people when they shouldn't even be looking at their credit files...? http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?292196-HFO-have-sent-me-72-Hrs-notice-of-litigation is my own thread and I note the following:

Each Equifax client is required to sign a contract prior to gaining access to our system. This contract stipulates that the client in question must seek consent, from the individual concerned, prior to completing a search. Equifax works closely with our clients to ensure that they fully understand this requirement which is specified under the current Data Protection Act.

It is the responsibility of the client in question to ensure that this consent is sought and that appropriate records are maintained to substantiate each search completed with Equifax.

which tells me that HFO are clearly breaching this agreement and the DPA, even more so as the people looking are in India...

Equifax, and the other CRA's, seem to operate to their own version of the various rules and regulations and it's high time they were taken to task about how our data gets mis-used in so many ways, while they just smile and pocket the fees for accessing the database.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

they're not called Equitw4ts for nothing

Advice and comments posted by The Debt Star reflect only my personal opinion and it is up to you alone to decide what action you should take. You should always seek independent legal advice from your own qualified legal advisor.

which tells me that HFO are clearly breaching this agreement and the DPA, even more so as the people looking are in India...

Not technically true, please see blurb from ICO website on data protection:

You may transfer personal data to countries within the European Economic Area on the same basis as you may transfer it within the UK. However, you may only send it to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area if that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of individuals in relation to processing personal data.

Only an offense to transmit personal data outside EEA if it is not done securely.

Only an offense to transmit personal data outside EEA if it is not done securely.

I think someone already mentioned that India isn't on the list of secure countries? Apart from them not having the authority to be looking at my data anyway, but that's another point.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

I've not found evidence that India is on a list of non-secure countires for data transmission (albeit a very brief internet search). With regards to not having authority - does this not stem back to lack of agreement/terms and conditions? I've long argued (and will continue to argue until I'm blue in the face) that no CCA means no proof I consented to original creditors sharing info with CRA/DCA's - however we all know that info will be passed around companies.