• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Tv licensing again

Consumer dude
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a chap from TV Licencing turn up this evening, put me under caution (apparently) for not paying my TV Licence since March 2010, I told them I don't watch the TV as the TV is my ex-wife's and the cable that I currently have is also under my wife's name and that I have already given her 21 days to arrange and collect everything of hers. So what will the chances of me being taken to court?

Didn't invite him in, the TV was on but on low volume and had the heat alarm going off, I made sure that he couldn't get passed me as I claimed I had my little girl in the property, so I dealt with him at the door and the curtains were closed so he couldn't see in.

You said you didn't watch the TV, yet the TV was on? If the TV is hooked up and capable of receiving a TV signal (regardless of whether you use it for that or not, what matters is that it's capable of doing so I believe) why don't you have a license?

I said the TV was on not that I was receiving any channels, the TV licence is extra money in the pockets of the BBC and is only for use of the BBC channels, as I don't watch any BBC channels I don't see why I have to pay the licence, after all £145.50 per year for BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, BBC Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and BBC iPlayer is stupid especially since they only show repeats. The TV Licencing people get high salaries from people who pay their licence, if you have a duff tv where you only watch ITV and channel 4 and Channel 5 and sky or virgin channels then you have to pay the BBC their licence fee to watch one of their rival broadcasters channels.

Basically if you are PAYING for a TV LICENSE from this PRIVATE COMPANY you are being DECEIVED and if you REFUSE to PAY they will use a STATEMENT (CONTRACT) so you can PUNISH yourself by your own ACTions. Without DECEIVING you into this, there is nothing they can do and this is quite EVIDENT by their own DOCUMENTATION. Pleas click the image above for more information.

See this link --->http://www.tpuc.org/stoppayingtvlicencefees

To give this it's strict and correct interpretation. This is a 'tax' paid to the government, which is why it is a 'criminal offence' not to have one. The tax is then paid into the governments Consolidated Fund and the BBC is funded from that fund, so you are not directly seeing off the BBC but the government.

This 'John Harris' seems to be on some sort of crusade and you shouldn't believe everything he is saying. The talk of 'treason' etc is poppycock. If you are caught using a television to receive live broadcasts without a valid license, you 'will' have committed a criminal offence and you will be taken to court and fined and henceforth have a criminal record.

Don't let him enlist you as a guinea pig into his crusade to do his dirty work, it is you who will be done not him.

Edited by Conniff

To give this it's strict and correct interpretation. This is a 'tax' paid to the government, which is why it is a 'criminal offence' not to have one. The tax is then paid into the governments Consolidated Fund and the BBC is funded from that fund, so you are not directly seeing off the BBC but the government.

This 'John Harris' seems to be on some sort of crusade and you shouldn't believe everything he is saying. The talk of 'treason' etc is poppycock. If you are caught using a television to receive live broadcasts without a valid license, you 'will' have committed a criminal offence and you will be taken to court and fined and henceforth have a criminal record.

Don't let him enlist you as a guinea pig into his crusade to do his dirty work, it is you who will be done not him.

Whilst it is an offence, I dont think it results in a criminal record.

Andy

Whilst it is an offence, I dont think it results in a criminal record.

Andy

That intrestings. I thought it did in the sense that any case would be tried in the magistrates court, but I may have overlooked something..

That intrestings. I thought it did in the sense that any case would be tried in the magistrates court, but I may have overlooked something..

If you google it you get conflicting answers.

• 1 month later...

If you google for the info, you will find that there is the disgraceful situation whereby a significant proportion of women (mostly single mothers) in prison have been given sentances for not paying the fines for not having a tv licence - so it's tantamount to the same thing.

Mrs. Mahon: A high percentage of women are in prison because they are fine defaulters or have not paid for a television licence. In 1993, 7.5 per cent., or 278 women, were imprisoned for the non-payment of television licence fees or fines related to that. I pay tribute to the hon. and learned Member for Montgomery (Mr. Carlile), who has tabled early-day motion 287 on the imprisonment of television licence fine defaulters. He should be commended on his campaign to argue that it is an absolute waste of time and shocking to imprison such people.

That early-day motion states:

"people prosecuted for TV licence evasion tend to be disproportionately poor, female, unemployed"

and single parents. It is impossible to quantify the harm and distress caused to a family when the mother, often the only parent, is taken away and incarcerated, perhaps for weeks, while the children are taken into care.

Although it appears the numbers given prison sentances are reducing, it's still an appalling situation.

Here's just one site which gives some galling facts:

http://www.civilliberty.org.uk/newsdetail.php?newsid=8

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Goodness knows how many investigations I've been under and I never seem to know what happens when they do.

I'm currently undergoing my 15th investigation.

I've not been informed about the outcome, of any of the previous 14. :???:

According to TVL, YES.

They only advise removal of the aerial and detuning of the set.

However, my post was in reply to the statement that a licence was required for a set that was "capable of doing so".

Any TV set with a tuner is "capable" of receiving a "television service", but mere possession of such a set, does not require a licence.

The requirement for a licence is set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004, which states:-

Meaning of “television receiver”

9.—(1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), “television receiver” means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose.

(2) In this regulation, any reference to receiving a television programme service includes a reference to receiving by any means any programme included in that service, where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public by virtue of its being broadcast or distributed as part of that service.

Another invitation to join there club and yet another investigation. Goodness knows how many investigations I've been under and I never seem to know what happens when they do. Does any one know ?

"Starting an investigation" in TV Licensing parlance means the same as "we are restarting our cycle of intimidatory letters". They only have about 10 different routine letters that they send out and if they don't do the trick then they start the process again. It's not uncommon for longstanding non-viewers to have several copies of the same letter.

Just remember that a TV licence is only required for those properties where equipment is installed or used to receive TV programme services (e.g. live broadcast TV programmes). If you're not watching/recording live broadcast programmes then you do not require a licence and can safely ignore TV Licensing threats.

Also remember that the BBC, as statutory Television Licensing Authority, is entirely responsible for administration and collection of the licence fee. They contract the work out to private companies, who act under the guise of TV Licensing. As the BBC is also funded by the licence fee, their pecuniary interests in selling as many licences as possible should be obvious. The BBC set strict sales targets for TV Licensing to meet, which sometimes skews their interpretation of the law and the truth. Furthermore every TV Licensing visiting officer (e.g. door-knocker) receives a commission payment for each licence they sell. The figures we have are slightly outdated, but the last we heard they received up to £20 commission per sale.

Legitimate non-viewers are under no legal obligation to communicate or cooperate with TV Licensing whatsoever. We recommend they don't waste their breath trying, as it will invariably achieve nothing.

Edited by MARTIN3030

Campaigning against TV Licensing's harassment of legitimate non-viewers.