shoplifted 3yrs ago , paid £80 police fine & RLP £280 Civil Compo - will these show on advanced CRB check?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, firstly I am very ashamed of this.

About 3 years ago I was caught shoplifting from a Debenhams store. I admitted guilty, first time I ever felt I wanted to steal anything and to this day I still don't know what made me make such a stupid spare of the moment decision..... I was caught and I received a fine of £80 and paid debenhams about £280 in compensation which was way more than the item was worth!!

since this I have grown up so much.

I realised what was important in life and expensive perfume is definitely not one of them. I had a tough few years after loosing 5 pregnancies and I feel like a completely different person.

I am now 23 (was 20 then) and I am applying for a job in care, visiting elderly people at home to help feed / dress / look after them. I am a great people person and very caring and really want this job however I am worried about this fine and if it will show on an advanced crb check?

What will show up?

Will it say '£80 fine' will it say 'shoplifting fine' or will it go into full details of what happened, where, when etc...

I wasn't taken to police station and no finger prints were taken?

I' unsure if I should declare it or not and if I do do you think it would effect my chances of getting the job?

Please don't judge, I would never do anything so stupid again x

thanks, just to let you know i called nakro yeterday and they said it shouldn't show up, he advised me not to declare it and if it does show up explain myself then. he said 95% of the time the police dont include fpn on the advanced crb check x

I can't believe that NACRO would give such loose advice. Naturally I wish you well with your job application, but any job involving care work would involve an enhanced CRB, and a FPN for theft will almost certainly be disclosed. Whilst they do not appear on the PNC as a conviction (as far as I am aware), details would be retained on local police databases, which with an enhanced CRB would be the responsibility of the Police to decide whether disclosure would be relevant to the reason for the position being applied for.

Therefore, it is highly likely that a Chief Police Officer in deciding whether a matter of theft could be relevant to a job working with elderly or vulnerable people would opt for disclosure. The standard advice to those in your position would normally be that honesty is the best policy and seek an opportunity to state your case - and indeed it does appear that you have learned from your experience and that could go in your favour, whereas attempting to hide the misdemeanour would look far worse.

Can you please report back with the result, as this may be extremely important to any number of others in a similar position.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

hi, thanks for ur advise, it does seem a very vague area these fpn, fortunately this is the only thing that should be on my record unles they include a speeding fine from about 5 years ago? i was going to declare it and explain myself but thought I would ask the CRB office first, they were the ones who told me to call Nacro and this is what the guy there told me. i think I will call again on monday morning, speak to someone else and see if they give the same advise. I would rather declare it first if it's going to show up anyway bu dont want to jepadise my chances of getting the job if it doesn't!!

will keep the thread updated when get any more info

Although there is a slight indication, you don't actually say if this was a fixed penalty notice from the police or if it was an internal RLP letter demanding the amount you paid.

Can you just clear up this point please.

hi coniff, sorry for not making myself clear. i recieved an £80 penalty fine from the police, they took my details but I never went to the police station for dna or fingerprints. I paid the £80 and this is what I was concerned would show up on the advanced CRB check.

Nakro told me this fine should not show up, and in 95% of CRB checks (including advanced) the CRB office do not declare it as it is not a fine to say you are guilty it is a fine to stop any further action being taken against you i.e court or cautions. It is not a conviction and it states this on the paperwork they give you.

However, Debenhams did refer me to a RLP company and I was sent a letter ordering to pay £280 for the sake of trying to stupidly steal a bottle of perfume worth about £30!! I did pay both the RLP and fine. Does this clear up any confusion.

I checked with Nakro again yesterday and spoke to a different person just to clarify I shouldn't disclose this fine and both people have now advised me not to.

I've sent of 2 application for care work which went in the post this morning so I will see how it goes. I will update this thread with the outcome on the CRB!!

Hi,

I'm a care worker myself and just had an updated CRB through, I had a caution 10 years ago this March and it still shows up along with conviction for breaking a window from 1991.

As far as I'm aware with enhanced CRB checks they will show everything.

As a matter of interest when I excepted the caution I was assured it would not show up on any future checks by both the police and the duty solicitor and advised that if I chose to go to court to fight it I would lose and definately end up with a criminal record.

• 3 weeks later...
Cautions and convictions will remain on both standard or enhanced CRB for ever.

FPNs do not.

thanks for this ^

fpn did not show up, i start work next week and couldn't be happier! so no, it's very unlikely they will show, i was almost certain it would show as i'm working in the homes of vunerable adults but odviously they are there to give one off offenders a second chance, and my god am i glad to not have anything more serious, i will never be so stupid ever again!!

• 1 year later...
Hi all, firstly I am very ashamed of this. About 3 years ago I was caught shoplifting from a debenhams store. I admitted guilty, first time I ever felt I wanted to steal anything and to this day I still don't know what made me make such a stupid spare of the moment decision..... I was caught and I received a fine of £80 and paid debenhams about £280 in compensation which was way more than the item was worth!!

Anyhow, since this I have grown up so much. I realised what was important in life and expensive perfume is definately not one of them. I had a tough few years after loosing 5 pregnancies and I feel like a completly diffeent person. I am now 23 (was 20 then) and I am applying for a job in care, visitng elderly people at home to help feed / dress / look after them. I am a great people person and very caring and really want this job however I am worried about this fine and if it will show on an advanced crb check? What will show up? Will it say '£80 fine' will it say 'shoplifting fine' or will it go into full details of what happened, where, when etc... I wasn't taken to police station and no finger prints were taken? I' unsure if I should declare it or not and if I do do you think it would effect my chances of getting the job?

Please don't judge, I would never do anything so stupid again x

Im in the same situation, but mine happened last week and was a stupid mistake! Im 17 and I've been working in a care home for nearly a year now, but i have to have a crb check every 6months, and mine is due, im scared will it show up on my crb?:(

Im in the same situation, but mine happened last week and was a stupid mistake! Im 17 and I've been working in a care home for nearly a year now, but i have to have a crb check every 6months, and mine is due, im scared will it show up on my crb?:(

Hi Becks - you are more likely to get a response tailored to your own needs if you start a thread of your own and outline your unique circumstances. If you need some help doing that - please let us know.

Whether you are likely to see this appear on an ECRB depends on the level (if any) of Police involvement.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• dx100uk changed the title to shoplifted 3yrs ago , paid £80 police fine & RLP £280 Civil Compo - will these show on advanced CRB check?