Summons after using freedom pass on tfl underground

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4780 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got stopped at aldgate underground station, i had oyster card in one pocket and my mums freedom pass in the other. My mum is under a mental health doctor and i have to keep hold of her per cessions as she will just throw them away otherwise. I explained this to the inspector but she said she had herd it all before. This happened in November 2010, i have now received a summons from London Underground stating i was traveling with the intent to avoid payment. it states on the summons that "if you plead guilty in writing, the application will be as shown below, On the above date in court London Underground will be applying for the sum of £120.00 towards costs incurred. I was hoping someone could offer me some advice on what i should do for the best outcome from this incident.

Was it your oyster card and was it properly validated for the journey?

Hi chafford

Without giving names, exact times etc,could you pleas provide a little more information? Were police involved? How did the TfL inspector come to see see the Freedom Pass etc?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? :razz:

Bankfodder, the oyster card was in my name, basically i used the freedom pass as i was exiting the station and the inspector was standing in front of the barrier with a hand held control which indicated to her that i was using a freedom pass. Police we on site and did ask the inspector if she needed assistence but she said everything was fine. The inspector then asked to see the freedom pass that i used. I told the inspector i used it by mistake and showed her my oyster but she said that it was an offence etc. Hope this helps.

Bankfodder, the oyster card was in my name, basically i used the freedom pass as i was exiting the station and the inspector was standing in front of the barrier with a hand held control which indicated to her that i was using a freedom pass. Police we on site and did ask the inspector if she needed assistence but she said everything was fine. The inspector then asked to see the freedom pass that i used. I told the inspector i used it by mistake and showed her my oyster but she said that it was an offence etc. Hope this helps.

Bankfodder asks the most important question, did you tap in with your oyster or did you use the freedom pass?

Well i didn't puzz in when i entered at the start of my journey as there wasn't anywhere where i could as i started at farrendon station and at the time they didn't have anywhere as i used the side enterance. Do you think its worth my while contacting tfl via phone and asking them if they will settle out of court? Not sure what to do really.

Tfl, or LUL, will look at the uses that both Oysters have had. The history of use will cause them to have a generl idea of whether this is a regular occurance or a one off.

I am surprised that it is possible to enter Farringdon without passing an Oyster validator, lets face it, it isn't easy to get into Chafford Hundred or Grays without almost falling over one.

I am struggling to see any possible defence in this case, therefore, I recommend that you attend Court, plead guilty, apologise to the Court, tell them about your income and outgoings.

I agree with Wriggler7. I am not aware of any 'side' entrance that doesn't have Oyster touch-in point at Farringdon, either at the Underground or FCC level.

Do you mean that you travelled by underground from somewhere else without touching-in?

Bankfodder asks the most important question, did you tap in with your oyster or did you use the freedom pass?

Totally agree. I asked the follow up questions to get more of a picture of events but was also concerned how the Freedom Pass came to light and whether it had been 'tendered,' as there was no mention of this in Bankfodder's original question.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? :razz:

The prosecution will be thinking that you were using the freedom pass for your journey as you never touched in with your oyster.

You have to persuade them that is not the case, if you are sucessful you may only end up with a penalty of some sort, if not you will most likely be prosecuted.