Equifax problems from a 15 year old debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just got a credit report from Equifax and in the section for linked addresses fro credit agreements is an account from Virgin media at my address which I left in 1996 stating a balance of £39 and "up to date" it shows a start date of 1991 and is still being updated on a monthly basis.

I asked Equifax to remove it via their raise a dispute onilne service as the account has been dormant for over 15 years and any debt would be statute barred, this is the response from VM when EQ got in touch.

Response (Administrator) 09/03/2011 03.33 PM

Portfolio Number:34350542

Please be advised the current balanc eto show zero however it should so as defauklt balance still.This would remain on the file as defaulted however due to the age of debt we would not chase this amount but if customer would require services again then payment would be required first.

Got a letter from EQ today basically saying financial information appearing in your name at this address cannot remove it, stays on report 6 years after settled or defaulted.

Does this mean that despite the fact that this account is at least 15 years old and no transactions have taken place for at least 15 years they can still keep it on my file?

n o garbage!

6yrs from last PAYMENT!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This might be one to report to OFT and ICO

write again to Equifax ask if this is a default and who recorded it.

Also write to Virgin Direct to see if they registered the default and get

the exact date of the default, last payment and last cxontact.

It may worth £10 for a SAR seeing as such a small amount is wrecking your

credit file for so.

Get a final response and report to Financial Ombudsman.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks for the response, there is no default registered and it just shows "up to date" - balance £39 updated 8/3/11

Its probably not a big deal but I don't want the address from 15 years ago on the file, they are basically trying to state that as there is no default date or date settled it can stay on as long as VM want it to, I tried explaining the limitations act and statute barred but it becomes difficult with a Phillipino telling you he knows better than you.

Yes I think so as the data processed is well out of date and processing this data

may be unfair under OFtT guidance as the debt is stat barred.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 1 month later...