• Tweets

• Back to octopus from the smart meter/tariff salesperson. Octopus have now said just ignore the letter - I dont have to have one despite there letter implying (at least) it was required, but that i will HAVE to have a smart meter if current meters stop working as 'their suppliers dont supply non smart meters any more'. I am of course going to challenge that. Thats their choice of meter fitter/supplier problem not mine
    • Point taken that we should inform new Caggers that the £20 option is there in wrong registration cases.  Well, supposedly there, who knows what the PPCs would do in practice.  Anyway, the option is allegedly there with both the BPA as you say, but also the IPC (I've just checked). However, there's a danger here of baby, bathwater. The two easiest types of cases to win are (a) residential - due to Supremacy of Contract and (b) wrong registration - due to "de minimis".  Indeed until recently we has been boasting that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing. We simply can do nothing about a terrible judge.  The judge seems - I say seems because we haven't had all the details - to have ignored "de minimis",. got fixated on a sign and awarded unreasonable behaviour costs.  A totally bizarre judgement.
    • You mean your witness statement 
    • That may be your personal claimed experience I said i didn't want smart meters - you jumped in to recommend smart meters I quite clearly indicated I was happy with being in credit to maintain constant payments - you suggest paying what I owe every month I quite clearly indicated I was happy with being in credit to maintain constant payments - you suggest a variable tariff - even if its one that only varies on a daily basis rather than half/hourly - with prices higher in winter when you need it and lowest in summer when you need it least   politeness ends with: - I'm NOT interested in any smart tariff I see, You are pushing your smart meter + variable tariffs in the wrong place - try pushing them somewhere 'nearer to home'  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Welcome Finance : Terms & Conditions (T&C's)

Dibbothe3rd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure what use this is, but might be worth knowing...

My mate works for an Estate Agent as manager and not so long ago a young chap came to work for him who my mate recognised. It turned out that this chap worked for Welcome Car Finance. My mate recognised him because he was the same guy that sold me my car back in March 2007 as my mate came with me.

Talk about a stroke of luck!! Well, this chap proceeded to inform my mate that the car he was driving was given to him by his friend who he had sold too, but he had left the country and gave the car to him, passed on his number to welcome and told them to contact him if they wish to take the car back as the payments had been stopped. (hope your still following)

6 months later, he has heard nothing from welcome or any of their representatives and declared that welcome / cattles etc... are so skint they cant afford to pay anyone to chase up the outstanding amounts or collect the car.

After having been told this by my mate, I stumbled across this site looking for help with my car hp/loan (not sure which) agreement and seeing whether i can return the car after paying half due or even get the whole agreement cancelled as it coudl be unenforceable. (will sort paper work out and upload when I get a chance)

Anyway, after a few months this chap was sacked by my mate as he was crap at his job!!!

Just thought I would share that little bit of info with you all.

Dibbo.:)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the welcome (no pun intended)

Been reading your posts with interest for a while now. funnily enough the story is true, bit confusing I Know.

anyway, Im actually at work at the moment so cant give too many details as I cant remember them all.

I do know I visited them in March 2008 (sorry I put march 07 before), not sure what day and signed up there and then and drove my car out 5 hours later!

Still haven't had my £250 cash back that was promised as part of there promotion, although I don't have that in writing.

Im not in arrears, all payment made on time.

Would like to VT as possibility of getting another car on the cheap, but obviously if I can screw them over and keep the car as payback for having to pay them so much, then all the better.

No PPI was taken out or so the agreement I have says, just gap insurance and maintenance cover. The first Payment left my account at the beginning of May 08.

I will post a copy of my paperwork up via photobucket when I get home around 6pm for your perusal.

Back Later.

Dibbo.

ok I have uploaded pics of my agreement. Page 1 & 2

Also a statement I rec'd

please bear in mind everything is paid up to date.

I visited on the 8th March 2008 and drove away on the same day

I was promised a phone call to arrange to go back in and have various chips in the paint work touched up, this never happened.

I was also promised by the sales guy £250 cashback to follow by cheque in a few weeks. after 2 phones calls chasing it, it hasnt materialised.

They were offering the deal at the time I purchased the car.

1st payment was 1st May 2008. nearly 2 months after it was all signed up.

I have currently made 18 payments totalling £4654.62 to date, including october 2009.

one thing i have noticed is that the agreement states total payable of £12414.40, yet on the statement it says the amount provided is £12412.40. a difference of £2 which I think is the PX allowance and the Option fee.

The option fee is included in the total amout for credit also, even though it is only £1, I understand that this is a big no no!!

I just need to know where I stand if I was to VT the car back in once I have paid the £5562.7 per the agreement or if I can just stop paying due to an unenforceable agreement.

If I need to take more steps by getting a CCA or SAR then so be it.

Many thanks in advance.

Dibbo

CCI02102009_00000.jpg

CCF02102009_00000.jpg

CCF02102009_00001.jpg

Edited by Dibbothe3rd

Dibbothet3rd Only you can decide if to stop payments no one here will or should advise you to do so. My advice is continue to pay until you know for certain your agreement is unenforceable & even then only after you have negotiated with Welcome to get them to agree which I doubt they will until a court decrees otherwise

JonCris

I appreciate that. I have no intention to stop paying at the moment as I can still afford to pay it.

What I would like to know is the next steps to ensure that everything is above board from their end.

Does anyone think it is worth doing a SAR and perhaps contacting Direct Group about the insurance as a first instance??

Your comments are appreciated!

Thanks

Dibbo

I'm amazed that your option fee is so small! Yes, charging interest on the option fee is a big no-no as it only becomes payable at the end of the term if you want to keep the goods. however, you are not paying interest on it so it seems ok to me. :)

were you mis-sold the insurances by any chance? If so you can have them refunded.

not sure about the mis-selling, but the guy put me under a lot of pressure to take some out so to keep him happy I went with the shortfall and breakdown cover. to my knowledge I haven't had any paperwork about the insurance from anyone so no idea whether it covers the term of the agreement or what the exact details of it are.

I understand the option fee as the amount on my statement does seem to exclude the option fee and deposit.

The actual agreement is very misleading but surely if the amount charged per statement is different to the agreement, then the agreement I have signed isn't the correct one?

your thoughts??

Edited by Dibbothe3rd

i have my concerns on the agreement

no ppi (welcome monkey gets most commission on)

no acceptance fee (very strange)

option fee £1 (very strange again)

why does the statement show hp agreement

and

the agreement say

credit agreement

the agreement is to be headed

hp agreement regulated by the cca 1974

it is a multiple agreement as the insurance is a seperate credit agreement but its all wrong

ill shut up now

Direct group is definately the way to go.

Just a thought....I have the policy wording for Mech breakdown cover to hand and it states in the cancellation rights section that 'We allow you 30 days after the day of purchase of the contract or the day on which you recieve your policy documentation, whichever is the later to make sure it suits you. '

Now, since you've never recieved any insurance documentation wouldn't you be within your rights to cancel these now? Seeing as your 30 days since you got the documentation hasn't passed. :D just a thought! (it's the same cancellation rights for shortfall too)

Right, just spoke to Direct Group about my insurances for breakdown and gap, I expalined I have never received any documentation about the insurances but they couldnt tell me anything over the phone as the relevant department was busy (called at 9.05am guess us caggers were on the phone to them as well heh heh), but have agreed to send copy paperwork out in the post which according to them will be same day so should have it all early next week. will have a look when i get it and post it up for you. the lady seemed quite helpful!!

Direct group is definately the way to go.

Just a thought....I have the policy wording for Mech breakdown cover to hand and it states in the cancellation rights section that 'We allow you 30 days after the day of purchase of the contract or the day on which you recieve your policy documentation, whichever is the later to make sure it suits you. '

Now, since you've never recieved any insurance documentation wouldn't you be within your rights to cancel these now? Seeing as your 30 days since you got the documentation hasn't passed. :D just a thought! (it's the same cancellation rights for shortfall too)

well, I didn't expect much from Direct group!! So much for posting out same day! After speaking to them last Thursday, Documents still haven't arrived. I know 5 days is a bit too short and with possibility of the postal strikes on the way, I may never get the paperwork on my insurances before xmas at this rate.

I think I will write to them and say that as I have not received the Insurance documents at all, I shall exercise my right to cancel as per Emmilou1 wording above. That would kick them into gear!!

Will report back later!! wish me luck!

Ok, the stuff from Direct Group about the insurances has arrived.

Just a policy Schedule and a set of policy terms and conditions by the looks of it for each of the insurance. I have posted the Schedule up for the time being as the others are several pages long.

A couple of observations, firstly , seems im paying over 48 months for mech breakdown that is only for 24 months!! mis-sold I think!

secondly, I think I can cancel the whole lot of insurances as the paperwork I have received is the first time I have ever seen them, so I have 30 days to cancel it and reclaim all my premiums paid todate.

What you reckon?

Edited by Dibbothe3rd

Ok. Is my best approach saying I want to cancel it within the 30 days period of receiving the Docs, or should I claim they are missold?

Also, are the insurance paid over the 48 months term as the interest has been calculated over 48 months (used an online apr calc) or are the insurances front loaded and paid at the beginning of the agreement?