Help please, moving out next week.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3908 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I am a tenant,I've agreed with my landlord I'll move out of the flat next week, but the landlord today tells me he'll be away on the day I moving, I urge him to come to the flat before he goes away to check things out and return my deposit, he says no, and neither he’ll send someone on his behalf to do his job. Because I’ll have to hold the keys and there is only one night latch on the flat door, will I be responsible if there are burglars, squatters or fire in the flat while I’m moving out?

Hello and Welcome, Anna.

I've started a new thread for you, please continue to post here regarding this issue.

Thanks.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Anna you have agreed with LL to move out on specific date (hopefully in writing)

We need more info

Date T started, whether AST in E&W, fixed term, rent due dates, payable when, who initiated end of tenancy/circumstances and with what Notices?

Also, was there a inventory carried out at the start of the tenancy? Was T present? Signed?

I would have thought - no initial inventory, then the LL can not deduct any deposit. So T can just leave on the date agreed. Agreed alternative key hand over date/place/person.

John

Anna you have agreed with LL to move out on specific date (hopefully in writing)

We need more info

Date T started, whether AST in E&W, fixed term, rent due dates, payable when, who initiated end of tenancy/circumstances and with what Notices?

Hi, Mariner51. My tenancy started on 10th August 2010, it's an assured short hold tenancy, fixed term 6 months, £160 per week, rent due every 10th of the month, total rent paid up to 10th April 2011. I notified LL in writing last month to end the tenancy, as the 6month tenancy ended on 10th Feburary 2011.

Also, was there a inventory carried out at the start of the tenancy? Was T present? Signed?

I would have thought - no initial inventory, then the LL can not deduct any deposit. So T can just leave on the date agreed. Agreed alternative key hand over date/place/person.

John

Hi, John Howell, there was no inventory at the start of the tenancy. The LL said the studio was old so that he charged cheap rent, £160 per week. But when I moved in I found there were many faults in the flat, such as: blocked sinks, stucked windows, broken fridge, lack of sustained hot water, leaking bathroom floor and walls (I'm on the second floor), a cable running on top of the bathroon door so the door can't be shut, etc.

The LL was always slow to response and never actually sort out the problems, the local council health & environment officer had been in the flat last month, the LL just ignores everything.

"IMO" means "In my opinion".

IMHO (In my humble opinion ;) ) if you have given proper notice, and have not agreed to look after the property, then you would be no more responsible for burglaries than if you were looking after the keys for your neighbour.

Hi, Mariner51. My tenancy started on 10th August 2010, it's an assured short hold tenancy, fixed term 6 months, £160 per week, rent due every 10th of the month, total rent paid up to 10th April 2011. I notified LL in writing last month to end the tenancy, as the 6month tenancy ended on 10th Feburary 2011.

If it's a six month AST starting on 10 August, the fixed term (not the tenancy as you have put) ended on 9 February not 10 February. Each rental period thereafter runs from 10th to 9th.

So, if you gave notice before 10 March, this would expire on 9 April. You say you're paid up to 10 April. So why are you so keen to hand the keys back next week? You can hold onto them until 9 April - so you can hand back the keys after the landlord comes back.

As for securing the property - just do what you would normally do if you were going away for a couple of days. Make sure it's secure, maybe leave a "strategic" light on. And go back every second or third day to deal with post.

Note - giving Notice is not same as serving Notice unless delivered in person direct to LL

Snail mailing notice on 9th would not be deemed served for 1-2 postal delivery days so would not be 'served' before the start of the next rental period so official expiry of T would would be 9th May.

How did you serve Notice, and when?

If you are moving out before the official end of the tenancy then, yes you and the landlord need to agree on responsibility for looking after the place till the official end date, and you would normally be responsible unless otherwise agreed. So IMVHO (in my *very* humble opinion) both Ray and I *could* be right depending on circumstances.