Hotpoint Washer Drier Motor Jammed after 13 months of light use - any comeback?

meerkatsmimm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Folks,

Just tonight our Hotpoint washer drier, which was £800 new last January (2010) has stopped working. It has thrown up an error code which after googling suggest the motor has jammed.

Now, I realise the machine is just out of manufacturers warranty, however, 13 months is not very long for a brand new machine to last, especially considering we have truely only been here to use it for 6-7 months of that time, and there is only 2 adults and a child in our household, so its light usage anyway.

Now I am aware that there is the 6 year statutory warranty for products that should be fit for purpose and clearly this item hasnt held up to that. A cheapo £200 machine, I would still expect to last longer than a year, but not an all singing and dancing hotpoint.

We were bought this from Argos as a gift last year, so arent in a position to replace it ourselves, especially on something so new.

Can I ask for suggestions on how to move this forward? Onto Argos tomorrow or Hotpoint and can anyone suggest what line I should take with them to try and get a positive outcome (repair or replacement would be wanted, ideally the later).

Many thanks,

Meerkat x

I have started by sending an e-mail to Argos via xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, asking for repair or replacement under SOGA 1979.

To be honest, having searched online it appears this fault could be that the motor has seized which is shocking given the machine is so young and of such high value.

we were given gift vouchers to buy the washer dryer and it was my other half who actually made the purchase instore for home delivery so surely this means the retailer does dela with us....

I am sure that the Sale of Goods Act applies. If you were identified at least as an intended beneficiary, the person that the goods are to be delivered to for instance, you are entitled to enforce the contract as a third party.

Otherwise, in any case, the Supply of Goods and Services Act would, whereby the fit for purpose terms are equivalent.

so here's the long and the short of it...

i pay £105 to hotpoint and invoice argos, or i pay £45 to a local independant engineer to write a report stating their opinion that it is a manufacturing fault and argos will instruct hotpoint to do the repair....either way it is tuesday night and i really need to get some washing done.....wwyd?

Is it not true under EU law shops are legally required to give you at least 2 years warrantee on electrical goods?

Signature removed by Site Team. Please refer to the forum rules

Is it not true under EU law shops are legally required to give you at least 2 years warrantee on electrical goods?

Not really.

There is a period of least two years within which a complaint may be made to the effect that the goods did not conform to description but that applies to all sorts of goods. There is no particular rule for electrical goods, nor anything to prevent the supply of goods not intended to last for two years so long as the goods were clearly described as such, and safe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll speak as I find, with Hotpoint.

I've got an Aquarius washing machine - like yours, a premium product and a reasonable expectation would be a sensible lifespan.

After around 16 months, mine failed with what turned out to be the inverter blowing something on the board and packing in. Hell of a bang when it blew and it also caused the RCD to trip.

I contacted Hotpoint, got through to a supervisor in the call centre and I have to say they were very, very good indeed. They came out and took away the old machine, exchanging it for a brand new one. No fuss, no aggravation.

I stayed polite with them, but remained assertive. No raised voices or stroppy letters - none needed.

I'll speak as I find, with Hotpoint.

I've got an Aquarius washing machine - like yours, a premium product and a reasonable expectation would be a sensible lifespan.

After around 16 months, mine failed with what turned out to be the inverter blowing something on the board and packing in. Hell of a bang when it blew and it also caused the RCD to trip.

I contacted Hotpoint, got through to a supervisor in the call centre and I have to say they were very, very good indeed. They came out and took away the old machine, exchanging it for a brand new one. No fuss, no aggravation.

I stayed polite with them, but remained assertive. No raised voices or stroppy letters - none needed.

I agree with your stance on being polite and assertive however, the OPs contract is with Argos, not Hotpoint

Unfortunately, getting an engineers report is the way to go and if the fault is with the machine (and not something you have done) then Argos should either repair the machine (and refund the cost of the report), replace the machine (unlikely) or give you a partial refund.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I understand that point about the OP's contract - my situation was the same - I'd bought mine in a High Street Retailer.

I just found it easier to go straight to Hotpoint, whom I found very helpful and efficient.

I didn't want the aggravation of going through the original retailer and being fobbed off left, right and centre to be frank, so I went "directly to the top" - working in Retail myself, I knew that's all they'd do, anyway.

I do agree with you that sometimes it is better to go through the manufacturer than the retailer but my thinking is: If you go through the manufacturer and get nowhere, you are back to square one however, if you go through the retailer and they refuse to help, you can then take them to court (if you wish)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE