IS decision to be looked at again

Secretjay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4097 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner and I are receiving a top up payment from Income Support however they have incorrectly calculated my partner's Statutory Sick Pay so the top up is less than what it should be.

I sent a letter 4 weeks ago asking them to look at the decision again, does anybody know how long they have to reply?

Thanks

I think that the best thing to do is to give them a call on the telephone and to ask them. They may not want to give you the information. In that case asked them what their complaints procedure is and which tribunal that you have to go to and how do you begin the complaint.

If you think that there is any kind of delay or any kind of problems then you should begin the complaints process. That will rattle them a bit and maybe help things along

Hi,

I gave them a phone on Friday and they had no note of my letter on my file, so they were going to send an email to the office that deals with my area and I would get a phonecall in 3 hours but no one called. I phoned back and was given an hour Priority call back but again no one phoned.

I phoned again on Monday and a Team Leader was going to escalate it and I would receive a call in 20 minutes but no one called. When I phoned back again I spoke to a Team Leader who assurred me I would get a call back in an hour but no one called. I don't know why they are not calling me back but I feel I'm not getting anywhere phoning this number and they won't give me a direct number to the office I need as they say they need to send an email.

So I was just wondering how long they have to reply to the original letter I sent 4 weeks ago.

Thanks

There is no time limit set in law to perform a reconsideration of a decision.

The reason you are not getting your call backs is probably because they are being sent to the wrong office, and I suspect the same has probably happened with your letter.

I'm having real problems at the moment with information getting to the correct office. I've had several call backs apologising for delays in getting back to me and explaining that the call request was sent to the wrong office and they have just received it. Each one of them is getting a written complaint, but as we never know which contact centre we are getting through to it's a nightmare in itself getting an address for the correct contact centre to complain to. It's a shambles.

The letters! Oh my goodness. Well, I received an appeal bundle for someone recently and the GL24 had managed to make it to 5 different offices (and some offices had, had it twice!) before arriving at the correct one - they were all stamped with each office's details and dates of receipt. No wonder it took 2 months for a response to be forthcoming on that one. There is a complaint in the pipeline for that one too!

As four weeks have passed, you are outside the statutory time limit of one month to appeal. What I suggest you do as no letter is held on file is this: print out a GL24 and complete it. Also state that it is not a late appeal as you submitted a request for reconsideration by letter 4 weeks ago, have been phoning consistently to establish the status of that request. Each time you have phoned, you have been given no information but have been promised call backs which have never materialised - give dates and names if you can as this will help. The reason you need to give this information is because if there is no trace of your reconsideration letter then the appeal is out of time - but the tribunal service can accept an appeal at their discretion, up to thirteen months after the date of the decision where there is good cause for it being out of time and it is in the interests of justice to allow the appeal to proceed. Also ask that they write to you with confirmation that they have received your appeal. You can attach all this information in a seperate letter if you wish as there is very little room on the GL24 and you must provide grounds on it for your appeal - use the same grounds that you provided in the letter requesting the reconsideration.

Take it to your jobcentre. Explain the carry on you have had and ask them if they will be so kind as to fax it to the appropriate office and forward the original by courier. If they agree, make absolutely positively sure that you get a receipt. It may also be an idea to ask them to give you a photocopy of the document, stamp it with the office stamp as received and forwarded and the date with their initials.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I work for JCP and have first experience with problems relating to customers and BC call backs, I get a lot of flak about it!

When you call through to speak to the BC you do not actually speak to anyone in that BC you speak to someone in a remote call centre who will email the BC or JCP office that deals with your claim. If your local office is like ours then they will be reciving incorrect telephone calls from the Switchboard operated by Balfour Beattie and the e-mails are more than likely going to the wrong office or section. One day I recieved a very irate and bordering on abusive call from a call centre colleague (I use that word very loosely) stating I was **** at my job as I hadn't called a customer back within the 3 hours as I was supposed to! They had sent the email to the wrong office originally, then they sent it to the corret office however only 3 people had access to this email folder 1 was on a training course, another was either on leave or sick I can't remember which and the third had finished work for the day. Yet it was all my fault and I didn't even have access to the email inbox but I was ordered to find out how to access it and deal with it! I took his details and complained about that incident, so it is possible that it was sent to the wrong office and something has happened with staffing levels to prevent it being actioned, and it will only get worse i'm afraid due to staffing cuts.

With regards to taking your GL24 into your local JCP office for it to be faxed you will be advised that you will need a customer service appointment for this due to a new regime starting this week. Everything has to go through the new appointments system so call in advance to request an appintment to avoid arriving at the office only to be turned away if the diary is full. Our office do not issue receipts either, the only exception for a receipt is if a girocheque is handed in to be returned/cancelled. You can request a photocopy of the documents during your customer service interview.

And if you make that appointment to get your GL24 faxed to the correct office, the trick is to ask the member of staff at the Jobcentre who is going to do the faxing to ring the section they have just faxed it to after faxing it first of course, to confirm that it has been received on the section, and get the name of both the officer who faxes the statement and the person on the section who says its there.

It's a complete disgrace. The system was a mess before but now it's intolerable. Paticularly for claimants who are vulnerable. Their access to services are also becoming even more limited because of cuts to funding for assistance such as Welfare Rights/CAB/other advocacy services, so a lot of them are finding there is literally nowhere to turn when they have reached the end of their tether waiting for a call back that never materialises because of internal errors.

But it has to be said, I also feel greatly for the staff who end up having to sort out this mess. They are clearly under a lot of pressure and whether it's to do with lack of staff resources, lack of suitably trained collegues, unattainable targets, notifications going to the wrong place or a combination - it's hard to pinpoint but it is only going to get worse. I had a girl on the phone yesterday. I never remember her name but I always recognise her voice the moment she speaks. I have spoken to this member of staff several times in the past. She is one of those who always does her level best to iron out any issues and provide a good service to the claimants. She'll explain compliacted matters clearly to claimants who have difficulty navigating the system, and above all she knows her job and does it well. Now, this girl has always been of a cheery yet polite disposition on the phone. But recently I've noticed a change in her. Yesterday when she returned a call I would swear she was bordering on tears, I could hear it in her voice, and it was abundantly clear to me that she was trying to hide it. It's saddening how a cheery individual can over such a short period of time, turn into a quiet spoken person on the verge of tears. If the staff are starting to feel the pressure, goodness only knows what is in store for the claimants with further cuts coming. I felt really sorry for that girl on the phone. My "mum" side coming out!

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi,

Thanks for the replys. I sent my letter (Recorded) to the address on my award letter, I sent in extra payslips and a letter from my partner's work stating how much SSP he receives. I thought it would be all straight forward.

I'll fill in a GL24 appeal form and make an appointment at my local JCP office to get it faxed to the right office and hopefully get it sorted.

SSP is never that straight forward to attibuite on an I.S claim, it depends if he gets paid weekly or monthly, weekly is usually quite simple but monthly is quite complicated to put on

Do you think they have taken a lot more into account then he has actually received. Hopefully it will get looked at again soon