Help with Bailiff for council Tax how to pay.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4787 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been looking at all the bailiff advice on the site and it has been very informative and I want to thank all that have contributed as it has really put my mind at ease, but I do have a few questions.

I will tell you a bit about my situation.

I was living at a house about 5 years ago and at the time I was receiving benefit. I had housing benefit paid and council tax benefit paid, so when my council tax letters where coming I thought they were just for my reference, like tax end year letters etc.. I didn't think I was liable to pay council tax.

It has been almost 6 years since I lived at that address and I started getting council tax bills saying I owed over £1000 in council tax for the period I lived at this address, I spoke to the council about it and explained, and they continued to send me bills, I thought they will just forget about it it was so long ago but I realised the bills would not stop and I needed to sort it, so I sent them an offer of a monthly payment.

They sent me a letter back almost a month after my offer of repayments and said it was to late and that they have sent my details to Jacobs, the councils firm of appointed bailiff for collection.

I rang Jacobs to see if we could come to an arrangement to pay the money back in monthly instalments and they said the matter is being dealt with by a bailiff and to contact them directly so I rang the bailiff and he said he was coming to my house on Thursday and if I wanted to sort out monthly instalments with him I had to pay him £50 there and then and that he would need to come into the house to take a levvy of goods to base the instalments on.

My questions are:

I know I am not to let him in the house but, how do I actually pay back the money, if I ring Jacobs they tell me I must speak to the bailiff and the bailiff will not deal with me unless I let him in the property.

I do not know how to pay this money off and I am very worried and just want to start a payment plan.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Which council is it?

Do they have an online payment system?

Regardless of the above, If they refuse to take payment then just make sure there is written evidence of your offers to both the council and bailiffs. Eventually they will either change thier stubborn position or send the account back to the council.

At which point the council will either accept a payment arrangement, or apply for a committal hearing, which in your case (Having made the offer in writing) would be a total waste of time for the council.

Hi Thegreenpimpernel

It is the Newcastle City Council, I think they probably will have an online payment system they also have an automated phone payment system too, but I don't own a credit card to pay on it, also if I asked someone with a credit card to pay installments to the council and I gave the person the money for doing it, how would I get a receipt or proof that I had payed them anything and what the payment was for?

Try the online payment system. You normally enter the Council Tax Account number, card details and e-mail address; and in return get a e-mail confirming receipt. I also 'select all' 'copy' and 'paste' the various web pages into a word document. Just in case!

Automated phone systems normally give you a transaction number at the end of the call. The cardholders statement will also provide some backup.

All your payments should be allocated to the Council Tax account number. It will be specific to that year, so don't just use your current one or you'll just be paying this years CT.

The council should provide the relevant Ac No over the phone.

OK Thank you.

I am pretty sure the money they have charged me for this council tax at that address is wrong, I was on benefits at the time I was receiving JSA and getting housing benefit and council tax benefit I am sure they have charged me full amount, I will have to speak to them about that.

I am very nervous as the bailiff says he is coming in the morning, I am not going to answer the door or talk to him, as I want to send my letter to Jacobs first and try and sort things out with the council, is this wise do you think.

Hi Thegreenpimpernel

It is the Newcastle City Council, I think they probably will have an online payment system they also have an automated phone payment system too, but I don't own a credit card to pay on it, also if I asked someone with a credit card to pay installments to the council and I gave the person the money for doing it, how would I get a receipt or proof that I had payed them anything and what the payment was for?

Yes you get a receipt by way of the screenshot transaction and just need to print it off if you do this you must choose a day of the week and stick to it religiously.

Anyonr can make the payment for you as long as they use your CT ref number.

As Jacobs are being bloody minded you can write to the Council and tell them you are being obstructed in paying the tax by unreasonable requests from the bailiff (insisting there is a levy in place) and tell them you do not want this person in your homr.

Carry on as you've planed.

You might want to print a letter to push through your letter box to him. If that makes you feel better than just hiding.

Briefly state that you are aware of your rights; that you will not be allowing entry in any circumstances; that you have offered to pay £xx / month. Advise them that they are free to make as many hollow threats of 'police' 'locksmiths' and 'arrest' as they wish, and that you look forward to the accounts return to the council / court.

Thanks guys your a massive help I have had a knot in my stomach since this all started.

How do I get my council tax account number, Thegreenpimpernel you said not to use my current council tax number I pay normally, will the council give me the one for the old council tax they are billing me for?

They should tell it you on the phone, it may even be on communications from the bailiff / council. Should be of similar format to your current number.

If they don't co-operate, just ask for it in writing and by e-mail, then sit back and wait. You'll have made every effort to pay.

• Confused 1

I have been looking at all the bailiff advice on the site and it has been very informative and I want to thank all that have contributed as it has really put my mind at ease, but I do have a few questions.

I will tell you a bit about my situation.

I was living at a house about 5 years ago and at the time I was receiving benefit. I had housing benefit paid and council tax benefit paid, so when my council tax letters where coming I thought they were just for my reference, like tax end year letters etc.. I didn't think I was liable to pay council tax.

It has been almost 6 years since I lived at that address and I started getting council tax bills saying I owed over £1000 in council tax for the period I lived at this address, I spoke to the council about it and explained, and they continued to send me bills, I thought they will just forget about it it was so long ago but I realised the bills would not stop and I needed to sort it, so I sent them an offer of a monthly payment.

They sent me a letter back almost a month after my offer of repayments and said it was to late and that they have sent my details to Jacobs, the councils firm of appointed bailiff for collection.

I rang Jacobs to see if we could come to an arrangement to pay the money back in monthly instalments and they said the matter is being dealt with by a bailiff and to contact them directly so I rang the bailiff and he said he was coming to my house on Thursday and if I wanted to sort out monthly instalments with him I had to pay him £50 there and then and that he would need to come into the house to take a levvy of goods to base the instalments on.

My questions are:

I know I am not to let him in the house but, how do I actually pay back the money, if I ring Jacobs they tell me I must speak to the bailiff and the bailiff will not deal with me unless I let him in the property.

I do not know how to pay this money off and I am very worried and just want to start a payment plan.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Surely if you had claimed JSA, you would have had Housing Benefit, and Council Tax benefit so should not have to pay. I would ask the council where they get the bill from as you should have had full CTB and HB

I would ask the DWP if they have any records of your claim archived also. This is not the first time a council has concocted phantom arrears, for someone with a full entitlement to benefit. CAB also may be worth a try, Do this as well as follow the others advice, as if the council have stuffed up you should be able to get a refund plus a little extra imho

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Instead of waiting in tomorrow for the dreaded knock on the door - if they come at all, bailiffs and timekeeping do not go together, you should instead see if you can go to one of the City Council Welfare Rights Offices - had a look at your Council website and there does appear to be quite a few of them. They should be able to help steer you in the right direction as to what you may or may not have claimed at the time. You will of course have to treat your home as Fort Knox to be on the safe side.

The Bailiff when he calls can be very intimidating and may utter all sorts of threats - breaking in, having you arrested, having you imprisoned, involving the Poice & locksmiths. You can of course utter things back that he may understand, most of which will end in OFF. Do not believe anything he says - he is a liar cheat & bully. Whatever happens do NOT at any stage let him enter your home, if you have anything outside move it NOW & if you have a car best to move it out the way, a good 10 minute walk away for example.

PT

• Confused 1

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just a quick update on the situation.

The bailiff did come on Thursday at about 1:30 in the afternoon and only did a quick knock then left 4 different notices with the "24 hours to pay or good will be lifted" which I know is a crock of sh!t after reading the letter on this forum.

I went to the citizens advice and they have made me an appointment for Wednesday to talk to some guy who is an expert on benefits, as the council are ignoring my letters I have sent, telling them that I was on benefits at the time they are charging me full council tax for, and I have asked them to investigate this to make sure they have their facts straight.

I was told by the National debt helpline to try and get a DRO (debt relief order) this is like a mini bankruptcy, as I qualify for it, and this would abstain me from any debts I owe for a period of 12 months then the debts will be written off.

I know my rights with the bailiff and I am not bothered by them any more, I have a few different options now and I am in a much better place than I was a week ago.

Thank you guys for your help on this.