• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Please advise......huge Tax Credit Overpayment issue

JPea
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4753 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would be very grateful for some advise

Last year I had my third child and accordingly alerted the tax credits office. I also informed them that my babies father was staying with me as a guest, for an indefinate time. He is Australian.

I informed them that he had no income, funds and was making no contribution to the household.

They told me to inform them should these circumstances change. And my single claim continued with no disruption to my payments.

8 months later we married and I alerted the TC office immediately as I knew that due to marriage the claim would need to become a joint claim.

They immediately stopped my claim from April 2010 and I have been landed with an overpayment debt of nearly £6000.

I feel totally confused?

Have I done wrong?

JPea

Lots of people live together but aren't married. So I am suprised they didn't get you to change to a joint claim from the start. Speak to CAB as the fact he wasn't earning must go some way, if not all the way to reduce that overpayment you would think & maybe should have been entitled to more?

this sounds as though someone in the WTC office stopped your claim cos your partner is an aussie, in error. New arrivals to the UK do not qualify for WTC but you should still be eligible as a married couple. could also be a childcare issue, were you claiming childcare costs?, need a bit more detail to advise properly, I used to work there

Tam65

did you get a letter in April telling you why your claim was stopped?

what does the letter asking for the £6k overpayment say?

generally speaking, if the claim was stopped by them in error it should be made good in full and fully backdated.

if the claim stopped because you did not send a renewal form in then it might only get backdated 3 months.

Tam 65

Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for your responses.

Here is a little more information as requested.

There have not been any child care costs involved

My husband has Right of Abode in the UK and therefore no restrictions on claims, so I believe

When I intially alerted the TC office that my babies father was staying with me as a guest, at no point did they say that I would have to change my claim, they said to alert them if my circumstances changed. I wasnt sent a new claim form or anything. And they continued paying me.

So for 8 months I continued to be paid as a single claim with the TC office knowing that my babies father was staying with me. What baffles me is, if that was wrong why didnt they tell me to change the claim at the time?

Nothing changed with my financial situation.....I did and have continued to provide everything for my husband before and after we were married. He has no income, no savings and claims no benefits. So none of the financial details in my claim have ever changed.

Once I married, they stopped the claim for that whole period of 8 months and said I should have claimed jointly all that time......when they were already aware fully of my circumstances.

Presently and for the past 2 years I have been unable to work due to medical complications....I claim Employment Support Allowance. Therefore a debt of nearly £6000 is a horrifying thought.... (I worked for 22 years as a nurse prior to this and am very new to the claim system)

Thank you in advance for any replies

JPea

Hi tam65

Thank you for your message

When I got married at the end of last year, they stopped my single claim immediately.

I wrote in complaint and recieved the letter this week telling me of the overpayment. They said they cant write off the Overpayment because I didnt keep my responsibility to tell them of all my circumstances....and that my claim should have been a joint claim from the start.

However, I have always told them all my circumstances within a day or two of any changes.

I am so baffled?

Thanks for your interest and help with this matter

JPea

I think the confusion centers around the word 'guest'. People can live in the same house and be single claimants if they are not living as a couple. I think tax credits have assumed you were not living as a couple when you said he was your guest. Now you are married, they will now assume you were living as a couple - hence the overpayment.

JPea

To put your mind at ease the most you will have to pay will be about £2.80ish per week at the very worst, which probably will not happen.

You should have been getting Child Tax Credit since april2010 to present, this should more than cancel out the 6k overpayment, they probably owe you a few quid.

This is a simple misunderstanding due to your lack of knowledge of their rules, married/single/single+living with partner = married in HMRC rules, you didn’t read the form correctly or it was badly explained to you, whatever, no big deal. It happened all the time when I worked there about 4 years ago.

HMRC will probably just work out what you should have been paid, as a couple, less what you were paid wrongly as a single and you will probably find that they owe you some money, at the very least 3 months worth, for the time you received nothing.

Tip : be ultra nice on the phone to them and this is probably the quickest way to sort it out.

If you can’t face phoning them, like plenty folk can’t, then write a nice letter suggesting that you misread the form or were badly advised, or both, that it was a misunderstanding and could they work out what you were entitled to less what you were overpaid.

They will generally only backdate a claim 3 months if someone applies late, but in overpayment cases they will generally calculate over the whole of the claim. You should be OK here, you do not owe them 6k.

My knowledge is a bit out of date, things could have changed a bit, not much though,

best of luck

Tam

• Confused 1

Thank you everyone for replies.

Tam in response to your reply.

When they stopped my single claim at the end of last year I put in a joint application.

They paid it to me backdating it 3 months and started up new weekly payments.

It is 3 months later, ie this month, that they have written to me saying I owe the 6K, due to my single claim being wrong.

They say they cannot take it off my weekly payments and I will have to pay it back directly to them.

The complaints officer says he cannot write off the overpayment.

I have written a polite letter saying I do not believe I was listened to correctly or given the correct information....but I am told in the letter that I cannot appeal.

Still seems pretty bleak to me

Thanks for your help

JPea

Ok sorry to hear this, I had this horrible feeling when I was typing that HMRC were tightening up procedures, as every other government department seems to be doing, because of the deficit and since we all have to pay for bailing out the banks.

As I understand it they are playing hardball over the backdating issue, which they probably can because it is the rule, which has cost you 5 months CTC, which would take a huge chunk out of a 6K overpayment. This is unfair and should not be happening.

Since they have stated in a letter that you cannot appeal, no matter how many times you phone they will probably say no sorry it is the rules.

The CAB might be able to write on your behalf and get a result. It can take a few days or a week or so to see the CAB, but do try them, and hopefully they will get a result.

Let us know how you get on

Tam

JPea

Baffled, confused don’t be, you have not done anything wrong. You have made an honest mistake, like thousands of others. Unfortunately there are many thousands more who have made a dishonest mistake, the tax credit system was badly designed, it almost invites fraud, it seems now that honest mistakes are not being rectified the way they should be. Your best bet right now is the CAB, if this is a problem post up here and I will suggest an alternative.

Don’t give up

Tam

Tam....Thank you

I will certainly contact the CAB.

I was beginning to feel like some sort of criminal......but you are right I have not done anything wrong.

I will let you know how things proceed.

Thanks again JPea

I am in similar situation, I married my Moroccan hubby in 2006, and immediately informed TC they advised cos he is there and I am here, that didnt need to change the claim from single. When he arrived in the UK in 2007 I again informed them, he wasnt entitled to benefits and also wasnt working so financially wasnt supporting me in anyway. The claim never changed, and I presumed this was because financially I was still single. I was approached by TC compliance almost 2 years ago asking to send in all paperwork, which I did. A year ago they wrote to me saying they hadnt received anything till I gave them proof of posting, then they found it all. They said they would arrange an interview, they hadnt so thought it must have been sorted, and btw didnt know what the reason was for the interview. They called me a week ago asking me questions about who lived here, my husband had come up on electoral role, I advised them that yes it was my husband and that I had informed them he was here, however we have now separate and so therefore he is living with different friends, unless he finds work, there is a possibility however we may resolve things and get back together.

They asked a few questions, and said they would get back to me. I am worried sick, about it all wondering what will happen, and did I claim wrongly.

I worry incase they say I was fraudulent, and also worry about a huge overpayment or payments stopping cos honestly if I dont get them, I dont know how we will survive for myself and my 13year old and get to work and stuff. I only claim TC do not claim hb or ctax benefit and I work full time on minimum wage. I use a childminder cos I am on my own mostly, and cant rely on my husband who is never here for childcare. (daughter is not his btw)

• 1 month later...

Hi mickeyjane and Tam

Thank you so much for your replies. I am sorry that I havent replied sooner, I have not been online.

I do hope that your situation resolves successfully mickeyjane.... I have good news regarding my supposed overpayment and I hope that the same will apply to you.

Having recieved a letter from the special case officer saying that he had reviewed my case and that I still owed about £6000......I decided not to let matters rest there. I knew that I had not done anything wrong as I had informed them every step of the way. Also on reading the letter from the case officer it had flawed information in many aspects.

So I wrote two detailed letters outlining all my contact and communication with the TCO and stated that I had kept all my responsibilities.

They re -reviewed it and wrote back to me with an apology stating that they had misinformed me and given me the wrong advice and that the overpayment would not need to be paid back.

I can now relax as I was so worried about it all.

Thank you again Tam and everyone for your help and advise here.

And mickeyjane, perhaps write to them outlining all you have told them and what they have told you and they will review their decision.

JPea

Hi MickeyJane,

I hope it all works out ok for you.

That's an awful long time to have it hanging over you....

Does anyone know - is it normal for tax credit compliance issues to drag on for so long? 2 years seems mad to me.