Acenden capstone spml pml lmc sppl

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all - just got a letter from the court

it says application adjourned until july .. 45 min hearing in front of judge

the claimant to file and serve a statement setting out how the arrears increased by 598.00 from the hearing on 8 nov 2010 by reference

to mortgage payments due and payments made .

if the arrears figure includes any amount added save the monthly instalment the claimant must rectify these additional amounts and set out

on what basis they have been added to the arrears rather than the balance ,all by reference to the terms and conditions of the mortgage .. exhibiting

those terms and conditions .

does that mean hes asking them to take the charges off the arrears?

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scrap that last post I made....I now realise the situation Helplessconsumer ;-) Can't blame me for wondering though after the amount of 'guests' we have and adverse 'followers' that don't particulary like us stating the facts my friend.

hi all - just got a letter from the court

it says application adjourned until july .. 45 min hearing in front of judge

the claimant to file and serve a statement setting out how the arrears increased by 598.00 from the hearing on 8 nov 2010 by reference

to mortgage payments due and payments made .

if the arrears figure includes any amount added save the monthly instalment the claimant must rectify these additional amounts and set out

on what basis they have been added to the arrears rather than the balance ,all by reference to the terms and conditions of the mortgage .. exhibiting

those terms and conditions .

does that mean hes asking them to take the charges off the arrears?

Yes, it seems that way as they are not allowed to apply the fees to the arrears, They have to go onto the balance of the mortgage. The arrears should be only the payments you have missed. They are asking for an explaination as to why this hasn't been done and, that they show the terms of and conditions as well, with any reference to where it says they can do that (which it won't).

I can't believe how utterly stupid employees at Acenden are!!!! It has taken me 3 attempts to be able to pay my monthly installment and arrears arrangement. The problem being my husband pays the mortgage from his account and he has been working 12 hour shifts all week so by the time he gets home they are closed and he cant phone from work as he gets a very bad signal arrgghh!!!! So we decided to use their online service and I register the account blah blah blah. I came to make the payment with his card but as I registered the account I couldn't use his card (though he is the joint mortgage holder.)

I then tried to register his name, but no such luck as only one account holder is allowed to be registered and I quote "we do not have the facility to register all parties on the account"

Eventually 24 hours and 3 phone calls later they have now cancelled my online account (apparantly this is a very complex process) and was able to register my husband and I paid using his card!!! The idiots couldn't understand the logic that both parties have the right to be able to register to use their online services (which apart from meaning I never have to speak to the a**holes again) is a pile of pants!

Due to their inefficiency at providing promised call backs and even emails my payment will now be allocated to my account late (the payment authority stated it can take 2 business days to show) and my arranged due date is the 19th - tomorrow so I will now have to argue about the anticipated £115 charge once again!

Sorry to rant just really really annoyed with them today!

Hi I have my own thread and lurk on this thread to build my knowledge up, I have just been awarded a suspended repossession but again challenged the arrears amount as it had both contractual payments missed and charges ! on Wednesday Evening i received the following from TLT solictors acting on behalf of Acenden and it makes me think that they are slightly worried about my investigation into charges ?? Up to this point they have, in writing, declined any offer of a proposal until then ? ?

I have put a complaint in on a number of things, mainly them encouraging me to borrow more money when I can't afford it to pay off the arrears, the solictor assured me in writing iif I phoned them it would be recorded, I did phone them (i know stupid) and he made comments regarding my relationship status and encourged me to borrow more money i have asked that they investigate. The lack of response of any emails/letters I have sent them offering payment proposals, the lack of information they provide and the charges which have been added to my account.

Could anyone give me their thoughts, this is there exact email:-

I know you have been corresponding with ***** about the Southern Pacific Court proceedings. Can you correspond with me from now on please? I now have the file.

As you will know, there is a Court hearing this Friday morning (18th). The Court has sent me a copy of your Defence which includes details of your financial situation and I have received an update from Acenden regarding payments that you have made towards your account.

Acenden have told me to confirm to you that a payment arrangement whereby you pay your usual monthly instalments plus £60 each month towards your arrears is acceptable, so I am hoping that we can deal with Friday's hearing by agreement. If so, you may or may not want to attend the hearing. We will ask the Judge to endorse the payment arrangement in the Order.

I know that you have raised issues about the administration charges that have been added to your account. Can I say two things about that. Firstly, no charges are added if you keep to an agreed payment arrangement, so hopefully there will be no further charges added. Secondly, the charges that Acenden has added to your account are charges that the mortgage agreement allows the Company to levy. They were set out in literature that you were given when you obtained your mortgage. All mortgage companies add charges when a borrower misses payments because that is the fair way to cover the extra cost of dealing with accounts were payments are not coming in as they should be. As for the level of the charges, recent publicity about unfair bank charges has encouraged some borrowers to argue about fees added to their mortgage account, but to date no-one has successfully challenged the level of Acenden's charges. I am telling you this because you need to remember that legal fees that run up because of arguments about charges are added to the mortgage account, so the mortgage debt increases. Of course it is entirely up to you whether you continue to object to the charges, and if so I would certainly encourage you to get proper legal advice from a solicitor.

Can you please confirm to me: (a) that the payment arrangement is agreed so that the Judge can endorse it within the Order, and (b) if you are going to continue your objection to the charges. You can either email me or call me on 0117 9177615 / 078269 28069.

Regards,

Any insight will be grateful.... just awaiting my SARS request so I can start having a good look at what charges have been applied to my account

I can't believe how utterly stupid employees at Acenden are!!!! It has taken me 3 attempts to be able to pay my monthly installment and arrears arrangement. The problem being my husband pays the mortgage from his account and he has been working 12 hour shifts all week so by the time he gets home they are closed and he cant phone from work as he gets a very bad signal arrgghh!!!! So we decided to use their online service and I register the account blah blah blah. I came to make the payment with his card but as I registered the account I couldn't use his card (though he is the joint mortgage holder.)

I then tried to register his name, but no such luck as only one account holder is allowed to be registered and I quote "we do not have the facility to register all parties on the account"

Eventually 24 hours and 3 phone calls later they have now cancelled my online account (apparantly this is a very complex process) and was able to register my husband and I paid using his card!!! The idiots couldn't understand the logic that both parties have the right to be able to register to use their online services (which apart from meaning I never have to speak to the a**holes again) is a pile of pants!

Due to their inefficiency at providing promised call backs and even emails my payment will now be allocated to my account late (the payment authority stated it can take 2 business days to show) and my arranged due date is the 19th - tomorrow so I will now have to argue about the anticipated £115 charge once again!

And argue you must! Just make sure you always have a devoted notepad, print off screens, record their calls and whatever it takes to get all the proof you need. Write them a letter and head it as complaint. That's the only way you can get these numpties to sit up and listen. They'll fob you off initially and more than likely try to blame you but keep it going and don't take no for an answer or accept any pathetic £50 compensation that they will offer.

Hi I have my own thread and lurk on this thread to build my knowledge up, I have just been awarded a suspended repossession but again challenged the arrears amount as it had both contractual payments missed and charges ! on Wednesday Evening i received the following from TLT solictors acting on behalf of Acenden and it makes me think that they are slightly worried about my investigation into charges ?? Up to this point they have, in writing, declined any offer of a proposal until then ? ?

I have put a complaint in on a number of things, mainly them encouraging me to borrow more money when I can't afford it to pay off the arrears, the solictor assured me in writing iif I phoned them it would be recorded, I did phone them (i know stupid) and he made comments regarding my relationship status and encourged me to borrow more money i have asked that they investigate. The lack of response of any emails/letters I have sent them offering payment proposals, the lack of information they provide and the charges which have been added to my account.

Could anyone give me their thoughts, this is there exact email:-

I know you have been corresponding with ***** about the Southern Pacific Court proceedings. Can you correspond with me from now on please? I now have the file.

As you will know, there is a Court hearing this Friday morning (18th). The Court has sent me a copy of your Defence which includes details of your financial situation and I have received an update from Acenden regarding payments that you have made towards your account.

Acenden have told me to confirm to you that a payment arrangement whereby you pay your usual monthly instalments plus £60 each month towards your arrears is acceptable, so I am hoping that we can deal with Friday's hearing by agreement. If so, you may or may not want to attend the hearing. We will ask the Judge to endorse the payment arrangement in the Order.

I know that you have raised issues about the administration charges that have been added to your account. Can I say two things about that. Firstly, no charges are added if you keep to an agreed payment arrangement, so hopefully there will be no further charges added. Secondly, the charges that Acenden has added to your account are charges that the mortgage agreement allows the Company to levy. They were set out in literature that you were given when you obtained your mortgage. All mortgage companies add charges when a borrower misses payments because that is the fair way to cover the extra cost of dealing with accounts were payments are not coming in as they should be. As for the level of the charges, recent publicity about unfair bank charges has encouraged some borrowers to argue about fees added to their mortgage account, but to date no-one has successfully challenged the level of Acenden's charges. I am telling you this because you need to remember that legal fees that run up because of arguments about charges are added to the mortgage account, so the mortgage debt increases. Of course it is entirely up to you whether you continue to object to the charges, and if so I would certainly encourage you to get proper legal advice from a solicitor.

Can you please confirm to me: (a) that the payment arrangement is agreed so that the Judge can endorse it within the Order, and (b) if you are going to continue your objection to the charges. You can either email me or call me on 0117 9177615 / 078269 28069.

Regards,

Any insight will be grateful.... just awaiting my SARS request so I can start having a good look at what charges have been applied to my account

Just seen your thread and well done! How can they say you won't be better off? Perhaps not in the short term but they will take them at some time plus the interest accrued on them is being charged. Don't hold your breath on them supplying your original contract! I think I've heard more than enough excuses what happened to mine..from just plain lost to ruined in a flood and then lost on moving premises. That was one well travelled document and they give the same excuses time and time again. In reality it's just lies.

Wait for your SAR and see what is in it. Add up all your charges plus the interest on them. Even though this has now gone to court you can still go through the FOS to claim back your charges. It seems that SPML /Ascenden are keeping their cards close and don't like to refer to what their charges are compared to actual costs. In any case it's always worth sending off their table of charges, as is supplied and any past ones, to either the courts or the Ombudsman as they won't do it.

Well I am surprised, no £115 charge added to my account, I think that could quite possibly have something to do with the amount of fuss I have kicked up about all their ridiculous charges. On a positive note my arrears figures are now down to £2300 which is nearly £2000 less than what they were in June when we went to court!!!!

I am still waiting for the adjudicator at FOS to come back regarding my claim for unfair fees refunded, he has everything from my point of view and at last conversation in Feb he was going to finalise his findings. I wonder how long this will take. If he favours my case I am more than happy for the refund to come off the account as this would more than clear my arrears. If he doesnt rule in favour however, my question is where do I go from there??? I want to be as prepared as possible and fight these cretins to the bitter end!

Well I am surprised, no £115 charge added to my account, I think that could quite possibly have something to do with the amount of fuss I have kicked up about all their ridiculous charges. On a positive note my arrears figures are now down to £2300 which is nearly £2000 less than what they were in June when we went to court!!!!

I am still waiting for the adjudicator at FOS to come back regarding my claim for unfair fees refunded, he has everything from my point of view and at last conversation in Feb he was going to finalise his findings. I wonder how long this will take. If he favours my case I am more than happy for the refund to come off the account as this would more than clear my arrears. If he doesnt rule in favour however, my question is where do I go from there??? I want to be as prepared as possible and fight these cretins to the bitter end!

Hello Slgsue

If the Adjudicator does not rule in your favour, you have a number of options. You can ask for your complaint to be reviewed by an Ombudsman or you could start a claim in Court for a refund of the charges.

If the reponse from the adjudicator is negative and you want to to appeal to an Ombudsman, post a summary of the response from the adjudicator and I am sure everyone will help you formulate your next move.

Hi Littledotty, no one outside the realms of a Acenden adminstered mortgage has any idea the way this company keeps you tied up with fees,charges,incorrect statements, and the lies there agents legal advisers tell in court on there behalf (known as miss direction) tell the judge that infact your arrears have increased

but does not tell the judge that the fees and added interest is included. After the Supreme Court appeal Article 8 which provides that "Everyone has the right to respect for his...home" Acenden breach that rule every day in the courts.

Keep up the good work

hi all just had a witness statement from the solicitors and i have 7 days to reply

it says that i signed the mortgage and in the terms and conditions i agreed for the fees to be added during the administration of the mortgage quoting

clause 25.1 of my mortgage terms

clause 25.1

you must pay on a full and unqualified indemnity basis all fees,expenses,taxes and legal and other costs incurred if the lender

a use preparation ,completion,administration,protection and enforcement

b the exercise by the lender of its rights and powers under this mortgage

so in accordance with the above terms the claimant is entitled to add costs of doing so to the account .

i dont know wat im supposed to reply

looks like i signed giving them the right to do this :-(

hi all just had a witness statement from the solicitors and i have 7 days to reply it says that i signed the mortgage and in the terms and conditions i agreed for the fees to be added during the administration of the mortgage quoting

clause 25.1 of my mortgage terms

clause 25.1

you must pay on a full and unqualified indemnity basis all fees,expenses,taxes and legal and other costs incurred if the lender

a use preparation ,completion,administration,protection and enforcement

b the exercise by the lender of its rights and powers under this mortgage

so in accordance with the above terms the claimant is entitled to add costs of doing so to the account .

i dont know wat im supposed to reply

looks like i signed giving them the right to do this :-(

This is from the OFT and is in relation to credit cards but I would argue that it is also applicable to mortgages:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/financial_products/oft842.pdf

An unfair standard term is not binding on the consumer. A term is considered unfair under the UTCCRs if:

'..contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.'

The requirement of 'good faith' reflects the principle of fair and open dealing with consumers. It does not simply mean that terms must not be used deceitfully; it means that terms should be drafted in a way that respects consumers' legitimate interests. In assessing fairness we take note of not only how a term is used, but how it could be used. The test of fairness also takes account of the circumstances surrounding the conclusion of the contract and the effect of the other terms in the contract.

Schedule 2 to the UTCCRs illustrates possible respects in which a term may be unfair to the consumer by means of a 'grey list' of possible kinds of unfairness. Of particular relevance to default charges is paragraph 1(e) of Schedule 2, specifying terms that have the object or effect of requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation.

Default charges are not 'core terms'

'Core terms' relate to the definition of the main subject matter of the contract or to the adequacy of the price or remuneration as against the services supplied in exchange. They are subject to the UTCCRs, but are outside the scope of the test of fairness by virtue of Regulation 6(2). We do not consider that terms providing for default charges are core terms. (In this context the breaches of contract which may lead to a default charge typically arise where a customer exceeds a credit limit, fails to pay or fails to honour a payment.) Consumers do not generally enter into such contracts expecting to incur these charges. We consider that the charges are not the substance of the bargain but are simply an incidental charge that is applied if some of the main obligations are not complied with.

Relevance of the common law principles on damages

Recent ECJ jurisprudence has underlined the need for consideration to be given to the consequences of a term under national law in assessing contractual unfairness for the purposes of Directive 93/13. The decision of the House of Lords in Director General of Fair Trading v First National Bank also underscored that it is a helpful exercise to compare the duty of the consumer under the term, on the one hand, and the obligations of the consumer under national law, in the absence of the term, on the other.

In assessing the fairness of the charges and in particular whether they amount to a disproportionately high sum under paragraph 1(e) of Schedule 2, the amount of money stated as being payable on breach must be compared with the damages which would be awarded at common law in the event that a consumer was individually sued for breach of contract. As such it is therefore necessary to have regard both to the principles of causation of loss and remoteness in considering default charge terms.

Under common law the innocent party to a contract is not provided with a complete indemnity for all loss that in fact results from a particular breach however improbable, however unpredictable.

In terms of remoteness, damages for breach of contract are traditionally divided into 'general damages' and 'special damages'. 'General damages' are those damages foreseeable as flowing naturally and probably from the breach of contract in the ordinary course of events. 'Special damages' are damages foreseeable in the particular circumstances of the case because of special matters known to both parties at the time of making the contract. These are the two types of damages referred to in Hadley v Baxendale (1854) 9 Exch. 341.

So far as a failure to pay or a failure to honour payment are concerned, in general a party to a contract who fails to pay an amount of money due to the other side is not usually liable to pay any damages to the creditor except such interest as may be payable by statute or agreement. The presumption is that in the ordinary course of things a person does not suffer any other loss by reason of the late payment of money.

thanks for that but how do i set it all up (sorry not used to all this legal jargon ) and if i signed the contract isnt it legal and binding ?

as far as the judge is concerned i mean ?

im so confused x

Do you have a first charge mortgage (is so before or after 31 October 2004) or a second charge secured loan.. This will affect what is applicable slightly

This will help

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?708-Mortgage-charges-and-other-unfair-treament-Particulars-of-Claim-template

Hello, sorry I didn't explain myself very well...

I would use the particulars of claim as a basis which you can amend to fit your own circumstances, and the information from the OFT to challenge the lenders position in relation to signing an agreement. Yes you signed it, but it does not give them a right to charge anything they like.

Whilst it could be said that there is a general legal principle that when you sign an agreement, you do so to say that you have read and understood the terms and conditions, even if you haven't, the agreement is not a blank cheque for the lender....

Towards the end of last year the FSA were looking to reduce the emphasis on the signing of agreements. I am not sure if this ever bore fruit or not. I will do some digging over the weekend.

Yeah! I finally found my final notice from the Ombudsman dated 28th Jan. 2009!

This Final Decision is issued by me,***** ********, an ombudsman with the Financial Ombudsman Service, It sets out my conclusions on the dispute between xxxx and xxxx and Southern Pacific Mortgage Limited. Under the rules of the Financial Ombudsman Service, I am required to ask xxxx and xxxx either to accept or to reject my conclusions in writing, before 28 February 2009.

I have considered all the available evidence and arguements from the outset, in order to decide what is fair and reasonable in the circumstances of the complaint.

Summary of complaint

xxxx and xxxx complain about the administration of their mortgage account and the fees and charges applied by Southern Pacific Mortgages Limited.

Background to the complaint

The circumstances are summarised in the adjudication dated 12 August 2008, a copy of which is attached to this Final Decision. Briefly xxxx and xxxx have a mortgage with SPML which they took out in 2003. In 2005 following financial difficulties, SPML obtained a possession order, suspended upon repayment of the current installment plus £50 per month.

Because of difficulties with their bank, Lloyds TSB, which were beyond the control of xxxx and xxxx, further arrears accrued and charges were added to the account. xxxx and xxxx made an arrangement to with SPML to pay by cheque, which SPML states was for just one repayment, but xxxx and xxxx believed this was a continuing arrangement, Consequently, further fees and charges were added to the account when SPML attempted to take direct debits.

xxxx and xxxx complained about the administration of the account and the fees and charges that had been added to their account. SPML refunded legal fees of £330 to the account, and a £25 fee for a returned cheque. It also offered compensation of £100, which was rejected.

The adjudicator recommended that the complaint should be upheld and asked SPML to pay compensation of £300 for it' administrative failings, and to refund all mortgage arrears charges and fees to the account.

SPML agreed to pay £300 compensation - and xxxx and xxxx have also accepted this payment. But in relation to the charges SPML has declined to quantify these, but has offered £350 as an ex gratia payment, in addition to the charges already refunded to the account -but not in addition to the refund of Arrears Management Fees, which it considers have been applied correctly.

My Findings

Because both parties have accepted the adjudicator's recommendations of £300 for the administrative issues, the only matter I am required to decide is whether or not the arrears fees and charges should be refunded.

According to the statements provided by SPML, arrears management fees and unpaid direct debit fees charged to xxxx and xxxx total £880 for the period 1 February 2005 to January 2007. This does not include any fees which were subsequently reversed.

I understand that SPML was fully aware of a systematic problem in trying to collect direct debits from xxxx and xxxx bank, Lloyds TSB, which affected not just them but other customers. I am satisfied that, in those circumstances, SPML cannot justify the charges for unpaid direct debits where they have not been paid because of circumstance out of control of xxxx and xxxx.

With regard to the arrears management fees, I have seen nothing from SPML to satisfy me that those charges are fair or reasonable in the circumstances, or that they represent the actual cost to SPML of administering the arrears on this particular account. SPML was aware that the suspended repossession order was on the basis of current installments plus £50 per month, so I am satisfied that it was unreasonable for SPML to agree to these terms of suspension and then add £50 or £65 per month to the account by way of management fees. I do not consider this is fair in the circumstances.

My Decision

SPML is required to :

- Refund in full arrears management and unpaid direct debit fees to the account.

- Recalculate the account on the basis of the payments made, as if those fees (and interest accrued on them) had not been imposed.

- Pay compensation of £300 for SPML's administrative errors.

Edited by Crapstone

For the record there were no 'financial diffiulties' other than those caused by SPML taking money for insurance that they were not entitled to. All records of our own insurance were provided which they either rejected or ignored. At the time of the court hearing we were ahead of payments on the schedule because of the money they had taken, for insurance, which they later refunded to the account. It's strange how you can be classed as in arrears when you'll be paying the whole thing off sooner than the original duration and with the added bonus that they can't sting you with fees for overpayment and it outweighs the interest they would have got if it went full term and the legal fees. £50, £100 or £300 doesn't seem a lot but when it comes off the capital it all adds up over the years.

I have tried to access the site and even though I am using the correct username etc. I still can't get in!! I have asked for a new password and they say it will be sent right away, that was three days ago!

I have tried to access the site and even though I am using the correct username etc. I still can't get in!! I have asked for a new password and they say it will be sent right away, that was three days ago!

having been with the FOS for a considerable time, the adjudcators need for you to spell it out for them and supply back up regulations, we have done this and insisted the Ombubman review our case as the

adjudcators are not as vested in the regulations as the Ombudsman is. SPML/Acenden spend considerable time wording replys (window dressing) there responces.

Given the back log it could take up to a year or more.