• Tweets

• Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
    • The US competition watchdog has taken legal action to stop Tapestry's $8.5bn takeover of rival Capri.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Is my demotion unfair, and can I do anything about it??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4799 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been demoted out of the office, into the warehouse, without being given any reason why. I had a review on tuesday, and found out that the reason this was was apparently because I was talking too much. I was told that I was moved from one chair to a different chair in the office, to see if this would sort the problem. They then said that this didn't sort the issue, so I was moved outside. I have been outside for 7 weeks now, but my first office move was about 4 or 5 months ago. At no point, until I had my review and questioned this, did they tell me they were having any issues with me. So I had no chance or opportunity to be able to fix what I was doing wrong before being demoted. They now say I have to work my way back up the company to be able to get back into the office. Is there any legal rights I have with regards to this? Are the company in the wrong, because it feels very wrong to me!

Hi Dpassey and welcome to the Forum.

We'll need some more information if we're to try and help you. Firstly, has either your job title and/or salary been changed or lowered? Have the duties and responsibilities of your job changed or just the location that you're based in? What other topics did your meeting on Tuesday cover? Also how long have you been employed by this company?

My opinions are not expressed as an agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. My advice is given freely but please remember to always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star below.

Well I was classed as office staff, now I am considered as part of goods in and out. My role previously was working in the office, answering calls, doing warranties so the company can receive money for repairs that they carry out, queries, ordering parts etc. I had a very varied and important role. Now I am back doing the job that everyone starts on when they first start, which is booking laptops into the system and then sending them back out to the customers once they have been repaired. My salary hasn't changed or ltwered, however, the point of the review is to try and get a payrise. Because I hadn't been in the office for 7 weeks I had forgotten some of the stuff i had learnt, and also didn't get the opportunity to get myself upto a higher level of understanding, which meant there wasn't a chance for me to get a payrise. I have been employed by the company for 16months.

What does your contract of employment give as your job title and what does it say about your duties?

My opinions are not expressed as an agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. My advice is given freely but please remember to always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star below.

it is adminstrator, and it doesn't state duties, because they vary so much. the fact is, everyone knows that you start your time in the company in goods in and out, and then progress onto further things, ie, going into the office. so i have been moved backwards by a lot!

Do you have a copy of the company Disciplinary & Grievance Procedure?

Before being subjected to a demotion, they should instigate their procedure, not simply subject you to a summary demotion without there being a disciplinary hearing.

to be honest, i'm pretty certain that our company doesn't have anything like this. We only just got contracts, after the company has been in business for 30 years. So they don't have all these policy and procedure documents that you would expect from a company

What procedure did they follow?

Did they notify you at least 24 hours before the meeting and tell you what was to be discussed?

Allow you to be accompanied by a work colleague or trade union rep (in a union?)?

Provide you beforehand with any evidence they intended to rely on at the meeting?

Give you the right to appeal against the decision?

What size is the business?

Questions questions questions!

no, basically, this wasn't a disciplinary. It was just a review that everybody in the company is having at the moment to assess where they are at, whether they deserve a pay rise etc.

When i went in, the first thing they asked me was 'is there anything you want to say or ask, before we get on with your review?'

So i said 'well the obvious question is, why am i outside, and how long am i going to be there for?'

This is when they started to explain that i had been moved outside, after they had tried moving me within the office to see if it increased my performance. apparently after i was moved, my performance still didnt increase, so they moved me outside. at no point during any of this was i told that they thought i wasnt performing well enough. therefore, i didn't have a chance to try and work and improve.

i said to them in the review that i wish that someone had said something to me during this 4 month period, and their response was 'we are learning aswell.' to me, it is just common sense to tell your staff if you dont think they are performing well enough so they can try and improve, not just try things without telling them, and then demoting them when their plan didn't work out. They say that they don't have an issue with the quality of my work. so surely, if they think i do the stuff well enough, then tell me im not working quick enough, then i can work on the speed, so that i then have the speed and the quality. but now, they are losing out in the office on the things that i used to do really well. it just angers me so much!! and one of the bosses is so patronising that he scares me and makes me feel worried to try and appeal it.

the business is slowly growing. i would say we probably have about 70 employees there now.

Have a look at the ACAS code of practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures. This outlines how employers should deal with issues of alleged poor performance. You ned to submit a grievance to your employer if you feel that their sanction is unfair and that they haven't followed a fair procedure in coming to that decision.

I agree with the Octopus - you should consider raising a grievance. I also wonder whether either all or a group of the employees are classed as Administrators and the company is trying to achieve a degree of interchangeability and multi-skilling by placing employees in different departments from time to time - or perhaps trying to place people in roles that best suit their abilities etc. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

It doesn't strike me that the written statement of particulars of employment is suitably reflective of the actual job descriptions, which it should be. When someones role changes, they should be provided with an instalment particular. Here, as the OP says, they've only just been given something in writing.

That should be part of any grievance.

I'm wondering if the employer is trying to make use of the ubiquitous "and anything else we might reasonably ask you to do" clause you often find in contracts/job descriptions.

well i have had a look on the acas website - found some interesting stuff which makes me feel a bit more confident.

the thing about the:

improvement note: in cases of

unsatisfactory performance an

employee should be given an

improvement note setting out the

performance problem, the

improvement that is required, the

timescale for achieving this

improvement, a review date and any

support the employer will provide to

assist the employee

the site also classes demotion as a 'sanction'. but surely you cant sanction someone without telling them why.

also demotion is mentioned as an alternative to dismissal. but dismissal should only happen if further misconduct or unsatisfactory performance carries on after a final warning - and i have had no warning what so ever.

so i do think i have a case!! i did part of a law degree at uni - unfortunately it was family law, but still kinda have the legal mind, so hopefully they will find out they messed with the wrong person!! if you're gna pick on someone, don't pick on someone that did law as part of their degree! hehe

Hello there. I believe what ACAS have on their website is guidelines, so best practice, rather than law. I would approach this carefully if I was in this position, as you could find it makes you unpopular with management. I'm not defending what they've done, but they are in a position of power. I don't suppose you have a union at work?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

haha no we don't have a union at work - we have nothing at work. it is a small family run business which does make this all rather awkward! but one of the main managing directors does love me! i know i have been treated unfairly, so think i should be able to do something about it = and they do actually quote acas in the contract, so they should be following their guidelines