BankFodder BankFodder

chaoticj

eBuyer Faulty Motherboard - Fault Report

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3321 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

I will try to keep this as brief as possible. I purchased a motherboard from eBuyer just over 3 years ago, at the time it was expensive (circa. £100) and therefore of a very high spec.

Unfortunately 1.5 months outside of the manufacturers 3 year warranty the motherboard suddenly failed. I feel that because the motherboard was so expensive, and of a high spec. it should have lasted much longer than 3 years.

The SOGA 1979 (As amended) says that goods have to last a "reasonable period of time". I would hope a motherboard could last until it was at least considered "obsolete". I have the same brand of motherboard running in my fathers computer, which is still working after at least 8 years.

When I google the fault I come up with lots of other people who have had the same problem with this motherboard and others of its ilk.

I informed eBuyer about all of this and initially they tried to fob me off with the manufacturer, but as they sold me the motherboard it is up to them to resolve the problem. They would like me to obtain a fault report.

I imagine that if the fault report shows the fault was manufacturing/inherent then eBuyer will be obliged to do something - they say that they will either repair or replace the item with one of a similar spec.

If the fault report shows the fault was manufacturing/inherent am I obliged to accept a repair, as surely the fault would just remanifest itself eventually?

What if the fault report does not state for certain the fault was manufacturing/inherent, i.e. what if it merely implied that it could be down to that? where would I stand then? would eBuyer be obliged to pay for a more in depth fault report?

Thank you in advance.

Hi there.

The "reasonable amount of time" thing does definitely apply in this case, although it's not black and white what a reasonable time actually is. It varies based on the type of item, the expected lifespan and the price paid. For a high spec motherboard, I'd estimate 4-5 years to be reasonable.

The fault report thing is standard practice unfortunately for items out of warranty. The fact that you've found evidence online to suggest it may be a common defect is good, since it adds weight to your case.

You're not obliged to accept a repair, however it's very unlikely that eBuyer would offer you a full refund, as you've had over 3 years of use out of the item before the fault developed. Unless you desperately want a new board, I'd take the repair.

If eBuyer decide that the report you obtain contains insufficient evidence, they aren't obliged to pay for a more in-depth report, as the burden of proof still lies with you.

Let us know how you get on.

Please note;

I am not a legally qualified solicitor and all my advice is based on my past experiences in the relevant field. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidance only.

I would always recommend to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.