Please Help - Merton Bailiff Services Seizure Unpaid Council Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am currently staying at a friends house. And when I came back from work last week i found the house empty and 3 seperate lists detailing all the items that had been taken.

As I am a dj the majority of the stuff was from my room. I have heard that if i have receipts for my stuff i can get it back, but i only have receipts for some of it. No one was in the house when they gained entry through the back door that was left unlocked.

The reason for siezing the goods is unpaid council tax which is in the amount of £3000. However they have taken up to £15000 worth of goods. Furthermore to this they have damaged the house as there are shelves pulled off hinges, and the list does not reflect what they have taken. They have taken items and not listed them???

The items taken have been listed on seperate sheets for each room.

What can i do please help? Im desperate to get my stuff back.

Edited by tha_dizzle

Hi,

I am currently staying at a friends house. And when I came back from work last week i found the house empty and 3 seperate lists detailing all the items that had been taken.

As I am a dj the majority of the stuff was from my room. I have heard that if i have receipts for my stuff i can get it back, but i only have receipts for some of it. No one was in the house when they gained entry through the back door that was left unlocked.

The items taken have been listed on seperate sheets for each room.

What can i do please help? Im desperate to get my stuff back.

From the little information provided it is difficult to provide advice. It could be that the goods removed are excessive.

Firstly, is this debt for unpiad council tax or for an unpaid parking ticket?

According to the COUNCIL how much is the debt?

What fees have been charged?

Have you checked to see whether the bailiff is certificated?

Merton Bailiff Services are the inhouse team of bailiffs working for Merton Council.

Also, what items have been taken?

They have taken speakers, disco lights, 2 laptops, a pc tower, 2 lcd monitors, plasma tv, dj mixer, iphone, 2 blackberrys, ps3, 2 x psp consoles, a digital slr camera, a compact camera, 3 full boxes of vinyl records, that is just from my room. From the rest of the house they have taken 3 lcd tvs, toaster, sandwich grills, an iron, golf clubs, 2 watches, sunglasses, a rack of dvds, a hoover, signed football memorabilia, another ps3, and 2 bikes from the garden. They may be a few things missing off that list. The debt total is 3600 and its for unpaid council tax.

They have taken speakers, disco lights, 2 laptops, a pc tower, 2 lcd monitors, plasma tv, dj mixer, iphone, 2 blackberrys, ps3, 2 x psp consoles, a digital slr camera, a compact camera, 3 full boxes of vinyl records, that is just from my room. From the rest of the house they have taken 3 lcd tvs, toaster, sandwich grills, an iron, golf clubs, 2 watches, sunglasses, a rack of dvds, a hoover, signed football memorabilia, another ps3, and 2 bikes from the garden. They may be a few things missing off that list. The debt total is 3600 and its for unpaid council tax.

Crumbs..they have clearly had a "field day" at your property !! I am assuming that you had left the property unlocked.

From the amount demanded I am assuming that you have not paid council tax for a very long time. Sadly, with the exception of the DJ equipment the items removed are NOT exempt. Do you have any proof that you can provide of your employment as this will be needed for you to make a claim that they are exempt as they are needed to "your use personally in the course of your business or employment"

As the DJ gear belongs to a lodger, or temporary guest, not the debtor would a Statutory Declaration along with any receipts help prise the relevant goods from the bailiffs greedy claws TT?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

As the DJ gear belongs to a lodger, or temporary guest, not the debtor would a Statutory Declaration along with any receipts help prise the relevant goods from the bailiffs greedy claws TT?

Sorry, I was not reading the original post properly. Yes, Statutory Declaration is the correct route.

I use them for private parties/cash in hand work djing isnt my career... so i doubt it. However I do have receipts for the majority of the equipment that are addressed to my parents house which is where im registered to live. I was just staying at the above premises on a temporary basis.

Statutory Declaration For Goods Belonging to Someone Else

Bailiffs cannot seize goods belonging to someone else, but they are allowed to assume that anything in a property is yours, unless they are provided with proof such as receipts.

Failing this documentary proof. the third party can make a statutory declaration that certain named items belong to him and may not be seized.

This costs about £5 if sworn before a commissioner for oaths/solicitor who signs and stamps it.

Then you scan it, email it, fax it, post a hard copy recorded delivery. The bailiffs should then release these items from the levy.

STATUTORY DECLARATION

To:
(the bailiffs) (their address)

I
(your name)

of
(your address)

Do solemnly and sincerely declare that:

the items listed
(list them)

are not the property of
(your friends name)
and
(reason why they were there)
and have always been my sole property

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835 and Section 5 of The Perjury Act 1911.

Signature:

Declared at

On the day of two thousand and

Before me

A Commissioner for Oaths, or Notary Public/Justice of the Peace/Solicitor having the powers conferred on a Commissioner for Oaths

You need to get it signed at a solicitor's get 1 original copy and 2 notarised copy's

send one to the bailiff firm (recorded delivery) and one to the local authority asking them to instruct there contractors (bailiff firm) to release your goods