style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4775 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Im new to this site, but need some urgent advice. I was an international student until about 4 months ago when I graduated, and have a dispute with the council regarding tax which I was not liable to pay when I was a student, but which they have charged me for! That matter I am resolving separately, however they sent a bailiff around to my house to recover the peding amount as well as the tax for the new year. Basically, the bailiff blagged his way through by saying he is from the council, and when i stupidly opened the door he pushed past me and tried to barge his way into my house. Only then did he show me his ID and tell me he is a bailiff from equita at which point i managed to slip inside my house door to prevent him from coming in. He the phisically intimidated me, standing literally chest to chest with me (my chest to his stomach as he was literally 3 times my size) and threatened me to either pay or have my goods removed. At this point i clearly asked him for a warrant, letter or authorisation that he has to show me to which he replied he doesnt have any nor does he need to show me anything. At this point i had to put my hands on his chest and physically hold him back from entering my house. I also had to ring the police. Once i rang them, he agreed to back off and step well outside, but he remained standing with his foot in my door to prevent me from closing it. He then forced me to pay him £400 of my debt, by grabbing my card from my hands, and making a call from his mobile. I have no idea who he rang, and who was on the other line as i was not asked for any authorisation or permission to debit my account. He then gave me a receipt for the £400, and threatened me to pay the rest by the evening or he would be back and remove my goods. When i had a check on the debtline website, i saw that it is necessary for bailiffs to show a certificate of authorisation from the court, if they are acting on behalf of the council. He also has to give me a list of charges due, as well as the bailiff fees. Needless to say, he showed me no paperwork, even though i asked him. He has since come around again, threatening to even break in if necessary. When i asked him for his papers, he said he would only show me the if i opened my door, to which i asked him to slip them through my letter flap, where i would have a look at them and if they seemed to be in order i would consider opening the door. He did not agree to do so, so i told him to leave. he then proceeded to threaten m again.

I am considering escalating this matter, because as per m understanding his actions are illegal, and he hs no papers to support him. he is also not listen on the certified bailiffs register on the hmcs website. I am considering ringing equita and making a complaint, and asking for my money back as well. Can someone please advise me ASAP on what I can do. I am currently unemployed, and looking for a job.

Thanks!

Ring your credit card company and tell them / get an e-mail address to send a statement of what has happened.

Do not 'bore' them with details about whether you owe the tax, blah blah blah. It's relevant here, but they will not care.

Stick to the facts that count.

a)The card was forcefully removed from your possession against your will.

b)He used it to make a 'cardholder not present' payment over his telephone.

c)You did not authorize any transaction in any way or form.

We can deal with the rest here.

Hi all,

Im new to this site, but need some urgent advice. I was an international student until about 4 months ago when I graduated, and have a dispute with the council regarding tax which I was not liable to pay when I was a student, but which they have charged me for! That matter I am resolving separately, however they sent a bailiff around to my house to recover the peding amount as well as the tax for the new year. Basically, the bailiff blagged his way through by saying he is from the council, and when i stupidly opened the door he pushed past me and tried to barge his way into my house. Only then did he show me his ID and tell me he is a bailiff from equita at which point i managed to slip inside my house door to prevent him from coming in. He the phisically intimidated me, standing literally chest to chest with me (my chest to his stomach as he was literally 3 times my size) and threatened me to either pay or have my goods removed. At this point i clearly asked him for a warrant, letter or authorisation that he has to show me to which he replied he doesnt have any nor does he need to show me anything. At this point i had to put my hands on his chest and physically hold him back from entering my house. I also had to ring the police. Once i rang them, he agreed to back off and step well outside, but he remained standing with his foot in my door to prevent me from closing it. He then forced me to pay him £400 of my debt, by grabbing my card from my hands, and making a call from his mobile. I have no idea who he rang, and who was on the other line as i was not asked for any authorisation or permission to debit my account. He then gave me a receipt for the £400, and threatened me to pay the rest by the evening or he would be back and remove my goods. When i had a check on the debtline website, i saw that it is necessary for bailiffs to show a certificate of authorisation from the court, if they are acting on behalf of the council. He also has to give me a list of charges due, as well as the bailiff fees. Needless to say, he showed me no paperwork, even though i asked him. He has since come around again, threatening to even break in if necessary. When i asked him for his papers, he said he would only show me the if i opened my door, to which i asked him to slip them through my letter flap, where i would have a look at them and if they seemed to be in order i would consider opening the door. He did not agree to do so, so i told him to leave. he then proceeded to threaten m again.

I am considering escalating this matter, because as per m understanding his actions are illegal, and he hs no papers to support him. he is also not listen on the certified bailiffs register on the hmcs website. I am considering ringing equita and making a complaint, and asking for my money back as well. Can someone please advise me ASAP on what I can do. I am currently unemployed, and looking for a job.

Thanks!

Have you received confirmation from the council of the amount of the Liability Order?

Also, how much were the fees that the bailiff charged you? They should have only been for £24.50 for "attending to levy" (where no levy was made)

PS: You have said that you are unemployed. Have you ensured that you have made a claim for council tax relief as this would certainly reduce the amount of the council tax being claimed by the bailiff.

• 4 weeks later...

The funny thing is, the guy never charged me any fees!! (atleast i dont think he did...)Secondly, i cant claim tax relief because I am not a british national, so I dont think I am applicable for this. 3rdly, my bank is the MOST UNHELPFUL in the world,. and they said they cant do anything. I also found out that the bailiff lied to me about his name, nor is he registered on the HMCS register of certified bailiffs. Though when i rang equita they have him on record as working there. I havent received any confirmation from the council for anything either, and the funny thing is when i got my next bill, they said the balance i have outstanding on my last bill is still £1150! Which ic ridiculous as I have paid the bailiff £400, so should the balance outstanding now be just £750? And apprently the bailiff told me my balance was £1020, and the council tells me my balance is £1150, so what the hell is going on!!! also, isnt the bailiff meant to give me some kind of fees list or something? I only got a receipt of the £400 i paid, no oter paperwork.

"my bank is the MOST UNHELPFUL in the world,. and they said they cant do anything"

No, they're just normal. They all get selective amnesia regarding anything that requires them to do work.

It is standard procedure for bank employees to say "i don't know what you're on about" then 10 seconds latter 'remember' everything when it transpires you know what you are on about.

Check the details elsewhere on this site, but i think it's a section 75 (?) charge-back you are requesting. Ask for the relevant form.

Council tax relief is not related to income tax, so look into the discounts / relief.

Hi all,

Thanks!

You have said that you were a student at the time that this debt was covering. Students should be exempt but it is so common for students NOT to advise the council of their status at university. You will need to contact the university and they will have to provide a certificate to confirm the dates that you were enrolled with them. This is usually sufficient to claim exemption from council tax. So many students fail to do this properly.

Re post #6 tomtubby, for clarity if Op was a student and a retrospective certificate from the college was submitted, and it transpired there was no liability due to exemption would the bailiff fees, and costs of LO still remain payable?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!