Another RLP Case!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I only came across this site because i was researching RLP and there seems to be a huge amount of cases were RLP are demanding x amount. Heres the story.

My girlfriend is 17. She tried stealing some clothing from debenhams. She got caught, she was fined, the fine was paid. We thought that was the end of that. We got a letter demanding 137.50 which has put the fear of god in her.

She has done wrong and i am not in anyway conding theft. However, i am struggling to understand how these people can justify these costs, and if anyone can help me to understand its much appreciated. She is young and stupid and she has most definately learnt a very hard lesson.

In terms of this "Invoice" what is the correct course of action we should take?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Hello there, sorry you haven't had a reply yet. That £137.50 seems to be the standard charge invoiced by RLP. While you're waiting for someone who knows more than I do, I suggest you have a read around the forum at other threads. I suspect the advice will be to ignore it, but I would like someone in the know to confirm.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks Honeybee, Im willing to do whatever advice i recieve. Iv had a look around and the general consensus seems to be to ignore to a point, were you are to deny any wrong doing. My only concern is that she is guilty and i could see it being very difficult to argue in court, which again we are willing to do.

137.50 is their standard invoice value so presumably the goods were recovered in a saleable condition

As I understand it, they won't be able to justify / give a breakdown of the costs so would fail in court.

This isn't a fine but a speculative invoice - ignore

At the moment ignore

In the unlikely event that they do try the court route, or refer the "debt" to debt collectors, you can send a single very short letter denying any liability to them or their clients (and not mentioning the circumstances). If you do, just get a certificate of posting (free) - dont bother with recorded or special deivery

• 2 months later...

Hello. I was just wondering how your case has developed? Did you continue to ignore the letters , and how many have you received?

I'm in a similar position and as if the moment have received two letters from RLP request £87. As the consensus on these forums is very much to ignore them I'm just wondering how far they will go to contact and demand payment before giving up, if they do so. Have you been contacted by any debt collectors?

Thank you.