UK Debt from 1996 now living in East Africa

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3701 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could advise me; My boyfriend and I live in East Africa and would like to buy a house in the UK to rent out, but also to have something for when we (eventually) come home...

The only problem is that although we are financially solvent now, when my boyfriend first left the UK in 1996 he left behind an unsecured loan (that consolidated various overdrafts from student days). He's since had no communication with the loan company, and although the loan at the time was registered at his fathers house, there have not been any letters about it atall...

We're just worried that although we're living abroad, if we now buy property in the UK could we either a. have a problem getting a mortgage because of this debt or b (and even worse) could the property become at risk if they tried to reclaim it?

As we've not even had any correspondence about the loan we don't even know how much is outstanding now (with 15yrs interest plus any debt collection fees!) but should we try and find out and clear it or keep quiet and assume it's been written off?

Thanks for any help

We're just worried that although we're living abroad, if we now buy property in the UK could we either a. have a problem getting a mortgage because of this debt or b (and even worse) could the property become at risk if they tried to reclaim it?
No need to worry, any debt is long Statute Barred and no enforcement can be taken & nothing will be on his credit file. Even in the unlikely event that they obtained a CCJ in his absence not only would he be able to have it set-aside but because it has not been enforced within six years they would have to apply to a court for permission to do so & that would not be given. ;)

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT