Mercers - Living in NZ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4799 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I sent Barclaycard a letter saying I was now living in New Zealand and was unable to continue paying my barclaycard bills, of which I owe about 5000 pounds, and that I was willing to make a reduced minimum payment if they could stop the interest.

They basically said no and have passed the debt on to their in-house collection agency mercers.

Mercers have sent me a letter in New Zealand saying if I don't pay immediately they will send one of their local (lol) debt collectors round to my house (PO Box) to obtain payment.

They have also warned me that they have the option to pursue the debt through the County Courts, and this would involve the issue of a County Court Summons.

Can someone please advise me, I am under the impression that a CCJ cannot be obtained against me as I have resident status in NZ and will not be returning to live in the UK.

And should I contact Mercers by letter to inform them that obtaining a CCJ against me is not possible as I am no longer a UK resident.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Oh Scribble, how you've made my sides ache this Friday arvo!

You can tell those truly obnoxious, bottom-feeding scouse gits at Lurkers to GFTS.

(No offense to any non bottom-feeding scouse Caggers :-))

Save your postage and ignore them - unless you're bored one night and fancy winding them up.

I found it was quite a good way to release some tension by having an python-esque argument about nothing and letting them get more and more indignant before hanging up.

Also, if you're able to do this without upsetting any significant others, try finding a pr0n site on the interweb (I believe there are one or two if you look closely) and have the soundtrack to some particularly frantic and especially vocal amorous encounter playing in the background when you're winding up the phone monkey.

For some reason that really annoys them. Especially if you leave the phone near the speakers while you go and "answer the door" or some such.

They can do absolutely nothing. No CCJ. No house visits. Nothing to your NZ credit file. Zero.

Trust me. Been there, done that and I owed them more than double what you do.

BTW thoughts are with you for Christchurch. Hope you and yours weren't caught up in it.

*Chortles*

We have been through the threat-o-gram mill.. All quiet currently - we tend to get sporadic bursts of activity.

No phones (bar one and that was over a year ago) the rest have been mass generated letters (I know this as I googled the exact text from some - favorite being AIC). The lastest chancer (IGOR - posisbly?, 3 months ago) said they were sending a debt collector to my door.. Think I remarked that he wanted a cheeky holiday, something or such like..

Have to say I do quiet like Ozzy boys suggestion... perhaps will leave the phone on a dodgy site...

If you want to do the right thing and make a payment no matter how small just send an F&f letter. They cant do anything to enforce the debt whilst you are away. If they get a CCJ against you and you do return you can have it set aside as you were not in the country.

˙os op oʇ pǝʞsɐ ssǝlun ǝƃɐssǝɯ ǝʇɐʌıɹd ʎq ǝɯ ʇɔɐʇuoɔ ʇou op ǝsɐǝlԀ ˙pǝɹnɔɔo sǝssol ʎuɐ ɹo ǝɹnlıɐɟ ɟo ʇlnsǝɹ ɐ sɐ ǝlqɐıl plǝɥ ǝq ʇou llɐɥs I ˙llıʍpooƃ ɟo ǝɹnʇsǝƃ ɐ sɐ os ǝuop sı uǝʌıƃ ǝɔıʌpɐ ʎu∀

If you want to do the right thing and make a payment no matter how small just send an F&f letter. They cant do anything to enforce the debt whilst you are away. If they get a CCJ against you and you do return you can have it set aside as you were not in the country.

Why would you bother? This would reset the six year SB clock.

Why would you bother? This would reset the six year SB clock.

True - but if the OP wished to make an offer of a one-off payment and Sharklaycard accepted it as a genuine, no strings attached F & F to close the account (because let's face it, that's the best they can hope for) there wouldn't be a debt any more so the matter of whether it was SB'd or not would be irrelevant.

Oh Scribble, how you've made my sides ache this Friday arvo!

You can tell those truly obnoxious, bottom-feeding scouse gits at Lurkers to GFTS.

(No offense to any non bottom-feeding scouse Caggers :-))

Save your postage and ignore them - unless you're bored one night and fancy winding them up.

If you do a search on YouTube, there are actually some quite funny videos that people have made about winding up Debt Collectors. Some of them are hilarious ... they are mostly from the US, but might give you some ideas to torment them.

W.

:lol: