Jump to content

Advice needed re Fredricksons & Bryan Carter


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3852 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



I was wondering if anyone can give me a little bit of advice. I started renting a flat last year. I pay the rent directly to my letting agency and it is inclusive of water, gas council. I have no contact or communication with the landlord, it is all done via my letting agency.


Last year I received a bill from Thames Water and then a letter from Fredricksons (debt recovery) stating there was around £250 owed. The letter was in my name. I contacted my letting agency and sent them copies of the letter etc. They said they would contact the landlord and that it would be sorted. I have now received further letters from Fredricksons and now a letter from Bryan Carter Solicitors, obviously in my name stating I still owe this debt with the intent to take further action to recover this debt if I do not pay.


I have kept contacting my letting agency and after 2 weeks they have said they finally heard back from the landlord and as far as he is concerned, he pays the water bill by direct debit and he has no outstanding bills. The letting agency said he would send through proof of this, but after it took so long for them just to contact him, I do not know how long it will take or if it'll make any difference.


There is no question or debate between me, the agency and the landlord that I should not be paying this bill. We are all agreed that the landlord pays the water bill and I can't seem to get an answer over why I received a bill in my name anyway.


My question is; what should I do next? Clearly I'm going to be getting more letters from Bryan Carter and Fredricksons as nothing has changed in that regard. Should I respond? Who should I respond to?


Many thanks in advance for any advice given for this issue, :) it's stressing me out a little bit!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You should send Bryan Carter a letter stating that your landlord pays the water and give him the agents address. The letter should be sent recorded or registered as Mr Carter could say he did not get the letter.

If Mr Carter was to start a claim he would look a little silly when the judge sees a copy of your letter.

Mr Carter does tend to issue a claim quite quick, so you should do asap.

Edited by rev.ian
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the above advice.


I sent out a recorded delivery letter, I know it has been received, but have not heard back from them as yet. I have however received the bill again from Thames Water. As I mentioned in my first post, my landlord states that he has paid the water bills up to date, should I contact Thames Water directly/by letter? What should I say?


Again many thanks for any advice recieved on this issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...