• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Has anyone else had Egg file a defense?

admanbo80
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just heard back from Egg after sending my Moneyclaim. They have filed an acknowledgement and stated that the intend to defend the full amount (only £80!!!).:o

Has anyone else had this and what happened?

NatWest - Rejected partial offer. Ongoing:rolleyes:

MBNA - settled in full :D

Morgan Stanley - settled in full :D

Egg - Settled in full:D

Cheers for that. Some very useful info. Will keep an eye on their outcome.

Egg really sound like a bunch of twats!!!!

Guess its wait and see what they say. Bet it'll be the same crap as everyone else has had tho!:-x

Cheers for that. Some very useful info. Will keep an eye on their outcome.

Egg really sound like a bunch of twats!!!!

Guess its wait and see what they say. Bet it'll be the same crap as everyone else has had tho!:-x

i agree with the twats comment:D

• 2 weeks later...

Actually,

Egg have really hacked me off and I think I am going to look at consulting a solictor and see if I can take them to the cleaners

They just seem to be using every little snidey way possible to weasel out of things :mad: and I think it will only take one seriously succesfull case to set the precident for the rest and I'm quite happy to spend a bit of cash to screw them

:D

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

I think that it would be well wort one of the MODS setting something up where we can donate a small amount of money each and employ a solicitor to act for one of the claims. I think it should be for someone who has a very good case and egg have nothing on them either. What does eveyone think?

alexthekid

I think that of you ask Admin (not a mod!), they will tell you what I am about to tell you: Why pay good money to pay a solicitor who will have far less motivated in getting you your money back than yourself?

May I remind everyone that if one year ago, you'd gone to a solicitor and said: "I think my bank charges may be unlawful, I want to claim them back", the solicitor would have patronised you right out of his office. :rolleyes:

It took "normal" people to take this out on the street, and with over 2 million pounds showing on the survey, they haven't done too badly, have they? What makes you think a solicitor would do better? The banks' certainly don't! :-D

Hello Bookworm:)

I agree..!

In all probability, a solicitor would most likely settle for the OFT's suggested £12 level; then charge you a large fee JMHO

When in reality, just by excercising a little brain power, plus following the excellent BAG/CAG FAQ's, then we the consumers can obtain full refunds on the Unlawful Penalties that have been levied on our accounts.

Come on Guy's, we have the motivation...and there is strength in numbers....little people can win. Just remember 'David & Goliath'.

Love AC

OH MY GOD! I'm almost finished with Smile and thought it would be a good idea to tackle Egg next. I'm really worried as I've been really bad with Egg, not paying payments when due, going over my credit limit etc. I'm determined to go all the way on this though as they probably owe me in excess of £2k. What is the current state of play? Have egg showed up at court yet?

<(o.o)> Smackbat

:) Smile.co.uk - £4,400 WON 12/10/06

:)Smile.co.uk - £156 WON Feb 07

:)Smile.co.uk - £280 WON 25/06/07

:mad: Egg PLC - £3,420.72 - Defence filed 24/06/07

:? Alliance & Leicester - DPR Request sent

:? Woolich PLC - To Start

Go for it! Egg have said they do not agree with the legislation and will not refund my charges. They have until next week before their 28 days is up after my money claim and as yet have still not filed a defense. I'll keep you posted but i've got my fingers crossed I can just file a judgement by default!!

Egg filed a defense on the final day before judgement and I've been sent a copy plus an allocation questionaire to be returned by 22 October 2006.

Eggs defence seems a standard one as it looks photocopied. It reads as follows:

'1. The claimant applied for an Egg credit card agreement with the defendant in November 2003 (the "Agreement"). The account was terminated and the date of the last statement was 8 August 2005.'

'2. It is admitted that charges wree added to the Claimant's Egg account during the course of the Agreement.' ...Basically clause 7.1 of their T & C £20 for over credit limit and £20 missed payments on the account.

'3. It is denied that the charges are a "disporportionate penalty" as alleged.' ...They go on to try and justify the charges as legitimate reimbursement for their costs.

'4. Further the Defendent takes steps to ensure that customers such as the Claimant to not unwittingly incur the charges set out in Condition 7.' ...i.e they set up a direct debit.

'5. Accordingly, it is denied that the charges are unenforceable at common law.'

'6. It is further denied that the charges are invalid under S4 of the Unfiar Contract Terms Act 1977 and the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.' ...Again they state the charges are reasonable.

'7. It is denied that S15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 applies.' ... however should to court find this applies they argue again that the charges are a genuine pre-estimate of loss and expenses.

'8. The Claimant is put to proof that his loss as a result of the charges is £117.04 as alleged' ...what does this mean???

'9.' ... if the court finds the charges are unenforceable they ask the court to assess the actual costs to the defendent.

Can anyone help me or provide me with a bit of direction?:-|

Paragraphs 8 is basically saying that the hundred and 17 odd pounds that you are claiming is actually what they have charged you. This should be easy for you to do as presumably you have got it all in your statements. It is just another blustering piece of stupidity from eggs representatives.

Paragraph 9 is basically their fallback position and simply says that if you are right that they are not entitled to the charges which they have levied, then they east entitled to something and they want the court to decide what that something is.

This also is not a problem because this is what everybody wants. In order for the court to manage it they would have to see what eggs costings are. Of course they will refuse to provide the court with this information so it is another piece of stupidity. What they are saying to the judge is " we want you to assess what our costs are that we're not going to provide you with any information to allow you to do that"

Had he returned your allocation questionnaire yet? If you have not then I suggest that where it asks you if there are any particular directions that you want from the judge that you ask for standard disclosure. Point out that in paragraph 9 the defendant asks the court to assess its true costs. Point out to the judge that you accept paragraph 9 and that you are completely happy with the principle. Say to the judge that as it is clearly the defendant's own suggestion that you respectfully suggest that the defendant's suggestion is adopted and that they be compelled to reveal the true costs of the court so that the matter can be settled once and for all.

Point out to the judge that if the defendants do make this disclosure that this will properly help to bring to an end the current flood of bank charges litigation

Tobes - Do you know what they stated as their costs?

BankFodder - Thanks for that. I've got until 22nd to return my allocation questionaire. Will probably get it done this week, was just waiting for advice before I sent it off. Thanks for your help.

Fingers crossed!!!:-)

Citi have provided the court with their true costs

No, they haven't.

They provided the court with what THEY claim was their true costs, which, by some uncanny coincidence, was just about £12, and how about that? What were the odds? :rolleyes: And did it last minute, and Claimant was not allowed to see the breakdown... Talk of rough justice...:mad:

Well, the court accepted their claims that the figures given were true and accurate so for all intents and purposes Citi have provided the court with their true costs until it's proven otherwise...

Had letter from Egg. They now say they'll refund £4 of each £20 charge in line with the reduction of their charges to £16. No mention of my court fees, interest or anything else.

Bugger it lets go to court then so this week sent my Allocation questionaire to York County Court. They quoted some case they won in court. However looking at this forum, I think they only won because the claimant could not attend the court date.

Also sent Egg a letter saying that their offer was not good enough for me to withdraw my claim so basically see you in court!!

Had letter from Egg. They now say they'll refund £4 of each £20 charge in line with the reduction of their charges to £16. No mention of my court fees, interest or anything else.

Bugger it lets go to court then so this week sent my Allocation questionaire to York County Court. They quoted some case they won in court. However looking at this forum, I think they only won because the claimant could not attend the court date.

Also sent Egg a letter saying that their offer was not good enough for me to withdraw my claim so basically see you in court!!

I'm in exactly the same position as you with regard to progress on the case, this is starting to get really interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

Egg have submitted a defence but it wasn't recorded on the system until after their deadline expired. I was advised not to start judgement in the early hours, even though I'm not sure why.

So it looks like I'll get an allocation questionnaire and a court date through soon enough. Still - the pressure is mounting!

I had the same kind of thing. No defence was shown as filed so I filed a judgement by default. Next thing I knew it was shown as rejected and when I telephoned the courts they said it had been received a while ago but just not put on the system.

Could the courts be getting a back hander from egg to help with their delaying tactics? lol.

I do think that there's something wrong somewhere though. Surely if the defence is not shown as filed then you'd be well within your rights to file for judgement!:x