Erika, advise please.

sj01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4813 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I need, I think, some professional advice.

I am claiming ESA and am in the work focused group. I claim for my husband as a couple, he has not claimed ESA.

My husband is unemployed and was receiving the DLA mobility and care. He has just had his new claim turned down.

We have a child at home over 18 and earning about £2,000 a month gross.

We had our mortgage help reduced due to the change in interest rate but now have been told that they will only pay £11.00 a week towards my mortgage of just under £500 a month.

The mortgage is a little over £100,000.

Is this some how linked to my husband no longer getting DLA or is it because of my son, his wages have not gone up and he has always lived with us so there is no change there but they recently asked for his wage slips.

I worked before I claimed ESA which has been for the last seventeen months.

Can one of the experts help me please and tell me what I could do and why my mortgage will no longer be paid.

I have asked the mortgage sction to ring me but so far they have not.

Your child at the age of 18 is considered a "non dependent" and a deduction can be made to SMI payments for non dependents. There is no non dependent deduction where you or your partner receive the care component of DLA, so the withdrawal of this would certainly result in a non dependent deduction being imposed. The amount of the deduction applicable depends on the earnings of the non dependent; hence why they requested his wage slips.

Given what your child earns, the deduction would be £47.75 a week. As with all benefits annual uprates, the non dependent deduction is also uprated in April of every year. This April the rate for your son's income bracket will increase to £60.60 per week.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks for your help.

So every one in my position will lose their house then. My son cant be expected to pay the mortgage.

What if I didnt have a son to help.

It just gets worse and worse.

I know I must sound thick but does it mean I will have to pay more mortgage in April or less.

Thanks again:|

You would have to pay more. No offence but your child should be paying towards it due to working as part of your family. I know how you feel in that you dont want your situation put on your son but he has become the main earner, my son is fifteen and we have already had the discussion that when he leaves higher education in about two years time, that he would be expected to use his earnings to pay a part of the rent if he was still living here. He is only fifteen as said and has said dont worry mum I will do so, but I will want to knick the main bedroom, hhmmm sarcy I said. Look I know its unpleasant that when disabled we may rely on the kids untill they move out due to benefit reductions dependant on their income. But to be fair what do you expect, them to still live with you earning such an income and that state supporting us.

My son will pay to help till he leaves home he said and then of course benefits should help me again if needed. If they begrudge helping point them in the direction of the nearest letting agent, they will soon come back and realise they are getting it cheaper at home.

Best wishes.

You would have to pay more. No offence but your child should be paying towards it due to working as part of your family. I know how you feel in that you dont want your situation put on your son but he has become the main earner, my son is fifteen and we have already had the discussion that when he leaves higher education in about two years time, that he would be expected to use his earnings to pay a part of the rent if he was still living here. He is only fifteen as said and has said dont worry mum I will do so, but I will want to knick the main bedroom, hhmmm sarcy I said. Look I know its unpleasant that when disabled we may rely on the kids untill they move out due to benefit reductions dependant on their income. But to be fair what do you expect, them to still live with you earning such an income and that state supporting us.

My son will pay to help till he leaves home he said and then of course benefits should help me again if needed. If they begrudge helping point them in the direction of the nearest letting agent, they will soon come back and realise they are getting it cheaper at home.

Best wishes.

Oh, he already pays us keep but you know how expensive it is to live.

He works a long way from home so does a long long day, pays a car loan and petrol. How much could a parent expect? If he was on the dole he would only get £60 odd a week, they really do punish the hard working kids dont they?

So if I kicked him out (i never will) then I would get my mortgage paid?

The system is so wrong. People who rent get their rent paid.

Think of the costs for a young person living in a shared house.

Rent £250 - 300 pcm.

Utilities £75 pcm.

Council tax £35 pcm.

Food £150 pcm

Asking your child for £500 a month towards running your house when they live with you is quite reasonable.