CRB checks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I was wondering if somebody can help me please, and please dnt judge. Last year I was going thru a really time time losing my beloved grandfather and parents divorcing after my dad had an affair. I was going thru a crazy crazy time I started acting like an idiot. I bottled things up I tried to talk to my employers but I cudnt. Iv had the worst year of my life. I'm a very shy and reserved person and I did something so out of character. I started stealing from my own work place. I would do it then hoard it at home as I was so scared and ashamed by the time I realised what I did. Then obviously 1 day I got caught. I was arrested and convicted. I was sentenced to 12 months SUSPENDED and 200 hours to complete. It changed my whole life. It turned my life upside down and as a result I lost clearly lost my job, every1s respect my reputation and more importantly, the love of life left me. It was the biggest mistake of my life and so out of character. Iv always had a good stable life till everything happened and changed my life forever. It wasy first offence. Now nearly a year on, Iv completed my hours with 5 months remaining till the suspended sentence is over. I'm struggling to get a job and I have always dreamed of working for a bank and living a good life till I messed it up. Now I have an opportunity to work thru a neighbours friend who is the regional recruitment manager for barclays. He sed he cud easily get me a job as a personal banker. I desperately want to turny life around and prove myself but I dno how likely that will be. I really want this job. He sed hel need my cv and need to do a CRB and credit check. Can any1 please tell me wat wud come up and if my conviction (theft from employer and dishonesty) stop me getting the job? Iv paid for my mistake and know how it changed my life for the worst ever, just desperately want a chance. I'm an ex offender we all deserve a second chance! Please, any1 cud shed some light on this itd be much appreciated. Thanks 

I take it that this friend is unaware of the difficulties you've recently had. For this kind of job, as your friend has mentioned, part of the process will require a CRB check. As I'm sure you realise, this will show (you've received the 'maximum' tariff as an alternative to imprisonment - I'm guessing credit was given for an early guilty plea & your previous good charachter).

I can't see any bank allowing you access to client's/the bank's money with this sort of conviction. This isn't being judgemental, but you really need to 'wake up and smell the coffee'. No bank or other allied financial institution is likely to ever take you on with this conviction. You really should re-focus your efforts into finding employment in a totally different area. The reality is that a lot of jobs where you are in a position of trust will now almost always require a CRB check. This is going to follow you round for some time (as you can see from this thread a petty theft incident from over 30 years ago has still affected the OP).

If your friend is unaware of your troubles last year and you didn't want him to know, just politely decline the offer. Alternatively, now would the time to be fully honest, but with the best will in the world, I can't see any bank taking you on in this kind of role.

It could be worth talking to NACRO or maybe your probation officer to get support in looking for work.

I agree with Mash It Up Harry.

As a general rule, it is not the law that prevents you getting a job based on previous convictions a CRB check may disclose. It is your prospective employer's policies on that matter. An employer in the field of banking or retail, for example, may justifiably feel unsafe in taking on someone who has such a * recent* conviction for theft. Some do, but I think you would have an uphill struggle in proving your worth at the interview (after telling them about your conviction of course - which you *must* do if you get to that stage so you are not wasting their time).

I accept you are genuinely remorseful for your actions, but unfortunately, I suspect you will have a lot of work to do in proving your remorse to a future employer.

I thank you for your replies. Yes, my friend and neighbour is not aware as I was too ashamed to say anything. However, Iv read that ultimately it is up to the them to recruit me, therefore his decision. if I was honest to my neighbours friend about my circumstances at the time, would that help my situation? It breaks my heart knowing I can never ever pursue my career in a field I always dreamt of. Im so embarrassed and shamed at this point Im on the verge of declining his offer. But I was hoping of some kindv light to this dark situation. I kno I'm hanging on this idea of working in a bank, but it's what I was working towards before my life decided to take for a worse turn. I feel so broken. Thankyou for listening and giving ur advice. I really appreciate it.

Hello there, welcome to the forum. Fwiw, I think you have nothing to lose by being honest, if you feel you have that sort of relationship with this person. It may or may not get you put forward for the job, but would be better than applying and being turned down or possibly for you, turning down the job and not being able to explain.

I hope you find a way forward. And don't forget the advice on talking to ex-offenders' organisations, they're most likely to know how you can move on in life.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you very much for the heads up, I ges if I try I have nothing to lose and I'd have atleast tried. Ino my chances are very low and kindv prepared for the likely outcome so I have nothing to lose. If I explain myself and atleast I'd think I tried, ultimately it would be his decision I ges. Thank you so much again. I wanted to talk to some1 abt this but not too sure where to get a contact number? Thank you again. 

I spoke to my friend today and explained everything very honestly about my conviction. He thanked me for my honestly and spoke to his friend (Regional recruitment manager, Barclays) who sed if its a first offence he should be able to clear that for me and give me the job! He explained he can't if it was 2nd or 3rd offence. Luckily, it was my 1st (and last!) offence. His already given me a start date in June and an interview to see him and sign the contract. I just hope everything goes well, just have to wait for a conformation next week. Fingers x! I shall know for sure next week and I will let you guys know. If it happens for me, Itl be my second chance to prove myself and I will not let myself or any1 down ever, again. Thank you HB and every1 here I shall be in touch with the progress of my application.  Xx

When I read the first part of this thread I was all ready to say that sadly I thought there was no chance whatsoever of working in a bank with a conviction for theft, so it just goes to show!

In your case it would seem that you may have been exceedingly lucky in finding somebody to give you a chance, and I sincerely hope that this works out well for you.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Yes, I abso agree with you Sidewinder. I thot I was a lost case in a catch 22 situation but I think it's down to my good friend who is taking the risk and giving me the chance. I don't think I'd have stood a chance if I applied the proper way, in r cases being ex-offenders the best way to get round these situations is to know people in high places who know u and your character well enough to give u a chance. However, Iam really grateful and appreciate the immense difficulty for people like us ex offenders to find a ground in this discriminating world where we are frowned upon. I got lucky but thers still lots of reformed ex offenders whi desperately srek a chance and aint given a second look.I dnt think its fair for them. I kno how it feels. I think every1 deserves a chance. We made stupid mistakes, got caught and paid r price whereas there are people out ther jst like us but only difference is they havnt been caught yet!. Anyway, thank you all for your great wishes.. I feel so much better being able to talk to some1 about my situation.  thank you all. 

Edited by Lifesmysteries

Hi,

I work for a fairly eminent recruitment/vetting agency in central London and one of my main clients is Barclays and although I sympathies with your plight, I have to inform you that, Barclays have very strictly enforced policy on criminal convictions for theft, which states that although they would of course consider anyone with a single spent conviction, given the right mitigating circumstance, they will never consider anyone in such a position as you are applying for with an up-spent current conviction for theft.

Simply becuse if disclosed it could have a negative bearing on the trust it's customers have in Barclay's as a financial institution, it, as it is not excepted in anyway as good practice in the code of banking and financial code of practice that Barclays like many other banks subscribes to. Even to the extent that Barclays could be sued if it came to light that they had knowingly employed you with the know risk factors you represent when there where other equally or more qualified candidates available that had zero risk rating because of unblemished criminal records.

Imagine if you found out that someone who had access to your financial records had a recent conviction for theft you would not bank with them ever again I know I wouldn't and if that got in the press they would not live it down for a long time. I assure and guarantee you Barclays would never fly with this one because of the obvious reasons stated above.

I have personally had many applicants turned down by their HR dept, because they have non- spent convictions. Also they require reasonably high level of ability to write clear and concise English, as you will be replying to many clients in writing, (electronic or otherwise).

To be Barclays at the moment has a glut of highly qualified young people with degree's applying for these jobs and I have yet to see one placed to anyone that does not have at least a 2.1 or a 2.2. Seriously I do career fairs with Barclays and we have graduates queuing out of the door because of the recession. All with excellent degree's and squeaky clean criminal records, I don't mean to doubt what you are saying but it simply does not make economic and ethical sense when you have so many other wonderful alternatives to pick and choose at will from.

I have also spoken to an associate in Barclays HR Dept with regards to your matter and she has informed me that if anyone gave someone a job who did have a current criminal record theft, if found out, they would face severe disciplinary action without question.

I think until our new governments finishes it's "Criminal Records Regime Review" currently being chaired by Sunita Mason, you will have to simply get used to the idea that this country is now over run with degree wielding job seekers who always get first cherry pick of the jobs with banks and that because of your conviction your going to have to get used to maybe aiming your sites a little bit lower at least in the short term.

This might be a good time to consider further eduction or training as the job market is only going to get tougher, apprenticeships are also a good way to go now. I have worked in this industry for over twenty years now and I have never seen it so tough.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I hope that you do find a way forward, the governments new re-think does look very promising given a couple of years.

Best of Luck and Kind Regards - A.

Thanks for the information, it hasn't come back positive yet I was told hel let me know for definite next week. By the sounds of what your saying doesn't sound so likely. But I made a mistake. There's a law in this country that no employers seem to follow which is to recruit and give chances to ex offenders. If big orgs like banks can't lead and be an example what use is it? Just because we made a mistake and have a record automatically makes as unemployable. And I wonder why we seem to head even deeper in to recession and unemployment figures hit the highest it's ever been. But, everything u have sed is justified as you'd know better. Thanks for that, Iv already kindv prepared for the outcome so I wnt be disheartened. Just think it's a stupid system that refuses to give chances to genuinely reformed people. I made 1 mistake that had it's reasons. But ges it's a big risk. Thanks anyway.

Hello again. I don't know about a law on ex-offenders, which one are you referring to, out of interest?

Have you spoken to NACRO and similar, as was suggested? They have the experience and contacts to be able to advise you, which with the best will in the world most of us on the forum don't I imagine.

I don't doubt your sincerity, but in the scheme of things 7 months isn't very long and as I understand it, your conviction is still in force. Another way a prospective employer might look at it is that if you get stressed or depressed again, are you likely to do the same thing again?

I'm sure life will work out for you, but I think you need to spread your net a bit wider.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for the information, it hasn't come back positive yet I was told hel let me know for definite next week. By the sounds of what your saying doesn't sound so likely. But I made a mistake. There's a law in this country that no employers seem to follow which is to recruit and give chances to ex offenders. If big orgs like banks can't lead and be an example what use is it? Just because we made a mistake and have a record automatically makes as unemployable. And I wonder why we seem to head even deeper in to recession and unemployment figures hit the highest it's ever been. But, everything u have sed is justified as you'd know better. Thanks for that, Iv already kindv prepared for the outcome so I wnt be disheartened. Just think it's a stupid system that refuses to give chances to genuinely reformed people. I made 1 mistake that had it's reasons. But ges it's a big risk. Thanks anyway.

You appear to have misunderstood the law. Yes, there is a law - the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act - which says that offences do not have to be disclosed IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES after a certain period. But it does take more than a few months of good behaviour to show that you are not going to repeat your offence. Whilst tremendously sympathetic with your circumstances, you simply do not get to say "I made a mistake and everyone should forget about it" - you have something to prove. As HB has said, what happens if you get stressed again? Are you going to repeat the offence? This is not all about you, and it is not all about employers. Banks have strict rules, as has been pointed out, and they have reasons for them. As a customer of a bank, I would like to be relatively secure in the knowledge that the person I am dealing with is not going to steal money from me or use my confidential information for their own gain. The world isn't constructed around you and your wants - there are other people who have wants too. And no matter what tragic circumstances surround your offence, that isn't a reason for committing a crime - lots of people have serious problems in their lives but don't go out and steal as a result. You appear to be under the impression that the world should re-arrange itself around your wants and dreams, and that having a "good excuse" for committing a crime makes you somehow different than every other criminal. The problem is that every criminal has a "good reason" for what they do, or so they believe.

I am sorry that there are now a range of jobs and careers that are closed to you, at least for some siggnificant periods of time, if not for ever. But stop blaming everyone else for this. If you had committed the offence 30 years ago, then you would have some real cause to feel aggrieved if an employer refused to take into account the fact that you had not re-offended - right now you do not.

Exactly. Thanks. Let me see how and where this life takes me. I appreciate what every1 is saying as obviously u know what Ur talking about however, I never once said I want this world should revolve around my wants. I said every1 deserves a chance just because we made a mistake for whatever reasons, and your right thers no excuse for committing a crime. But allow me to explain one thing clearly. You both asked me a question whether I'd reoffend if I was 'stressed' agen. That word is a complete deciet of an understatement for the harrowing experience I went they last year. HOWEVER, even worse that that was the 6 weeks I spent living in hell praying everyday to save me cos I felt like I was going to be sentenced to death! I was only 19. Those 6 weeks before my 1st court appearance was the most tested weeks of my life, I lost too much as a result of doing such a stupid thing that was so out of character for me. It got so bad for me in that time not knowing what would happen eventually and the fact that I ruined my whole life for good drove me to harming myself to the extent of wanting to die! I know how those 6 weeks felt like a lifetime of torture I begged god for forgiveness. So only I would know if I'd re offend again or not! My experiences opened my eyes so wide open it shocked me into submission the day I got caught. I paid for my mistake. And trying to move on with my life. Wally is correct I'm his saying as if every1 is perfect. Enough people out ther are just fortunate enough not to get caught doing 'stupid' things. Not to say I Dnt appreciate ur slighly harsh-toned words of wisdom and advice, I know my chances of getting the job are slim but doesn't mean I can never do it. If anything has got to me is the easy statement that was made that how do you know I wnt reoffend? And the truth is you don't. But I know what I went through all alone last year and 1 thing I sure hell learnt is nothing cud ever be bad enough to do something stupid like that again and risk the hell I went through all over again. 7 months may seem really short period of time but 6 weeks of sheer torture, losing two of loved ones and suffering all alone in this with only my solicitor as close to a friend I cud find would be long enough for some1 like me to reform. There were mitigating circumstances. Anyway, I will widen my net and try other fields HB but nothing people say to put me down will stop me from atleast trying I'm sure ul agree. Anyway thanks all. Goodbye.

Edited by Lifesmysteries

Everyone deserves a second chance. We all make mistakes.

As the saying goes "he who is without sin cast the first stone".

Good luck to you mate

Nobody has ever said that people do not deserve second chances. But the issue is not whether they deserve a second chance - but when they should get it. A crime is a crime. Theft is theft. We may sympathise with why someone ends up in that situation, but that does not make it right, or any less a crime. We have an ex-offenders programme in our chambers, and it was hell on earth to get professional permissions to take on a SINGLE ex-offender. There are very strict rules about limiting their access to a vast range of things - including clients financial data. It would be a lot easier not to bother, but we do it out of principle. It costs us insurance wise to do it too - because we are knowingly taking a risk on people. And one thing I can tell you for a fact - we would never get permission to take on someone who had committed theft and was not even quite through their sentence! That proves nothing in terms of a commitment not to do it again. As HB said - what if they get stressed again? Will they resort to theft every time they feel under pressure?

I agree entirely that the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act needs more teeth and that people should, with very few exceptions, be able to put their mistakes behind them. I feel that the use of eCRB's has extended too far and that many employers use them inappriopriately. But that is not the same thing as saying that the slate is simply wiped clean and forgooten about within a few months of an offence, and that people do not have something to prove about their ability to not commit another crime before they are trusted with certain roles. We are not talking here about a shelf-filling job at the supermarket - we are talking about giving a recently convicted thief a job in a bank with money, people's bank accounts, and personal data. I think you would find that any bank who were so generous with giving second chances would very quickly find that nobody would insure them, and that their customers would very quickly wish their accounts to be held by a slightly more draconian organisation who puts security over second chances.

Hi again,

I am sorry that this is not very nice for you but, the rehabilitation of offenders act is very clear about this, you can be rehabilitated, there is no problem about that, but the tariff for for the crime you committed as set out by law is 5 years. This means that your conviction will become spent after 5 years and then you will be entitled to answer no on any employment application form, if they ask "you have you any previous conviction".

However, even after 5 years you will still have to answer yes to this question if a company or organization requires a standard or enhanced CRB check. Plus on an ehanced CRB check they will show all police records convicted or not about you, that means there could be more nasty surprises install for you if you wanted any job working with children or vulnerable adults, ie, teaching, nursery nurse, lifequard, sports attendant or anything in health and social care or now even the training for it.

The really bad news at the moment is that because of a two recent court rulings the Police will now keep all this data on you for 100 years and release all of it to any employer that require an enhanced CRB check. Although this this is now hopefully being over-hauled by the current government.

Many posts are now excluded from the Rehabilitation of offenders act and require and Enhanced CRB check, some examples would be:

Accountants

Lawyer

Council Worker/Officers involved with finance or access to children or vulnerable adults.

Bank/Finance/Mortgage Advisors/workers - Estate Agents

Financial Advisors

Nursery Nurses or Nursery Support Staff

Registered Child Minders

Teachers/Teaching Sssistants

Educational Support Staff, Dinner Lady/School Secretary/Caretaker/Cleaner

Pool Attendant/Lifeguard/Leisure Assistant/Sports Coach

Hackney Carriage/Taxi/Private Hire/Limousine Driver

This also includes any and all Voluntary work in the above sectors, I teach swimming/lifesaving/lifeguarding two nights a week as qualified volunteer and I have to have a full enhanced CRB check in order to do this and my wife who is an occupation therapist has to have two separate enhanced CRB checks one to work for the NHS and one to Volunteer to teach swimming like myself. these checks took over eight weeks to come through and showed other non conviction police data about us, although in our case none of it was negative.

I really do have sympathies for you plight however there are many lower level careers still open to you to prove that you can rehabilitate yourself by taking one of these positions and getting on with it without complaining for a few years. You see what most people don't realize is deliberately or not part of your sentence is a limitation of career choices in order to protect the public. The good news is under the new governments new system which should come in next year there is going to be a step down/filtering system to assist offenders with finding employment.

However they are still looking at a Five year period before you will be considered rehabilitated and you offense filtered from Enhanced CRB checks, so you have a while to go yet even if the new regulations are approved by parliament and set in law. However if you think about it logically if you have a goal of five years to not re-offend, because obviously if you re-offend the time limit will be reset. Then you will think twice about committing any crime, also once you have achieved those five years and have a better job I think anyone is going to really think hard before doing anything stupid again.

As I said perhaps now because of your official criminal offender status it might be good time to look at more education/re-training or better still trying to get a government apprenticeship they are really good at this moment. Possibly catering or health and beauty.

I am really sorry that this is a hard reality check for you and hope that you can find a way forward, unfortunately the old saying "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" is relevant as regards the law at this moment in time, however it now seems to refer to the rehabilitation period not prison.

Would be glad to answer any further questions or give you any support I can, please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help

Kind Regards and Best Wishes, A

Hey again,

as kind of a PS I have spoken again to my associate at Barclays about your Job Application, and she has informed me that they would never employ anybody without at least a degree or many years of practical experience in to the role of personal Banker. The process to become one also involves at least two formal interviews with more that one member of staff present at both.

If you have not had any of these then you could not have been given a starting date by Barclays HR. She also informed me that because of current employment law, if they where to employ you without advertising the post in some way and opening it up to all then they would be guilty of discriminatory practice, so this person simply cannot have offered you this position or even have given you a start date.

Also because of Barclays policy even after you where awarded the position you would have had to fill out a consent form for an enhanced CRB check to take place and this as I mentioned earlier could take upto 8 weeks before they can formalize the offer of employment and even think about offering you a start date.

Also she has ask me to inform you that now you are fully aware of the fact as regards the reality of the Criminal Records act and employment at Barclay with reference to the Banking Code of Practice you should not except the job, (if it exists in the first place) as in doing so could mean you where knowingly committing a fraudulent act for pecuniary gain and as you so frequently mention your desire to rehabilitate and not commit any further crimes I am sure this is something you would not want to be complicit with. In taking this job you are possibly braking the law in a number of ways, you cannot afford another conviction on your record or you will have blown any chance of rehabilitation for many years.

Better take a more lowely job for a little for a little bit , while you are paying your dept to society and work towards improving your career prospect through training, education and volunteering like the rest of us. My life was never easy I came from a really poor deprived background, in the east end of London, (yes I am a real Cockney) I suffer from high spectrum-Aspergers Syndrome and Dyslexia as well, but I never let that hold me down or even moaned about, I even did a paper round to pay for my own elocution lessons. I worked my way through university and then started way at the bottom with my current company when I left university. My first wife died in childbirth with my child and through all this I have never been tempted to commit any crime at all, I don't even have a parking fine or speeding ticket.

Since young I volunteered with my swimming a life saving clubs and still do and work as a volunteer lifeboatmen on the Thames, you see there is lots that you can do to pick yourself up and make yourself more employable it just takes time and effort and to be fair a degree of sacrifice.

As I said before I really feel for you in your current position and if there is anything I can do as regards career advice I would be more than willing to help, I have access to many government apprenticeships schemes that actually do cater for and favor Ex-Offender life yourself, so please let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes - A

Edited by itbloke

• 2 months later...
Hey again,

as kind of a PS I have spoken again to my associate at Barclays about your Job Application, and she has informed me that they would never employ anybody without at least a degree or many years of practical experience in to the role of personal Banker. The process to become one also involves at least two formal interviews with more that one member of staff present at both.

If you have not had any of these then you could not have been given a starting date by Barclays HR. She also informed me that because of current employment law, if they where to employ you without advertising the post in some way and opening it up to all then they would be guilty of discriminatory practice, so this person simply cannot have offered you this position or even have given you a start date.

Also because of Barclays policy even after you where awarded the position you would have had to fill out a consent form for an enhanced CRB check to take place and this as I mentioned earlier could take upto 8 weeks before they can formalize the offer of employment and even think about offering you a start date.

Also she has ask me to inform you that now you are fully aware of the fact as regards the reality of the Criminal Records act and employment at Barclay with reference to the Banking Code of Practice you should not except the job, (if it exists in the first place) as in doing so could mean you where knowingly committing a fraudulent act for pecuniary gain and as you so frequently mention your desire to rehabilitate and not commit any further crimes I am sure this is something you would not want to be complicit with. In taking this job you are possibly braking the law in a number of ways, you cannot afford another conviction on your record or you will have blown any chance of rehabilitation for many years.

Better take a more lowely job for a little for a little bit , while you are paying your dept to society and work towards improving your career prospect through training, education and volunteering like the rest of us. My life was never easy I came from a really poor deprived background, in the east end of London, (yes I am a real Cockney) I suffer from high spectrum-Aspergers Syndrome and Dyslexia as well, but I never let that hold me down or even moaned about, I even did a paper round to pay for my own elocution lessons. I worked my way through university and then started way at the bottom with my current company when I left university. My first wife died in childbirth with my child and through all this I have never been tempted to commit any crime at all, I don't even have a parking fine or speeding ticket.

Since young I volunteered with my swimming a life saving clubs and still do and work as a volunteer lifeboatmen on the Thames, you see there is lots that you can do to pick yourself up and make yourself more employable it just takes time and effort and to be fair a degree of sacrifice.

As I said before I really feel for you in your current position and if there is anything I can do as regards career advice I would be more than willing to help, I have access to many government apprenticeships schemes that actually do cater for and favor Ex-Offender life yourself, so please let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes - A

Hi,

Firstly sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation but Im sure that you will pick yourself up from this as you seem quite keen on moving your life forward and seem quite remorseful with regards to your actions.

I actually have a question for you itbloke, I understand from this thread that your a recruitment consultant who works quite closely with Barclays?

Im an employee of Barclays working as a Personal Banker. I have worked for barclays for the past 3 months, and have been in employment with Barclays since February this year, however I am currently suspended from work on full pay as one of my references have come through as unsatisafactory. I have a meeting this Friday to discuss my unsatisfactory reference and could face dismissal.

I have previously worked for another bank and found the bank I was working for to be extremely uncompromising with regards to previous issues I was facing. As a result, I left without notice and now my reference has come back unsatsifactory.

Any ideas or any more information as to the likely steps of action that Barclays will now take?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.