Can i SAR House Insurance Company?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4816 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have had house insurance for donkeys years and recently had to put in a claim for accidental damage for telly that fell on laptop. Laptop was second hand one that we bought for our then 8 year old son and two years later it is even more used :smile: Company got reports from 3rd party and Insurance company briefly told us by letter that report questions grubiness of laptop, as it had food particles on keyboard (reason being that it belonged to an 8 year old for two years does not seem to have been accepted) and report on tv mentioned that something on the inside was not broken? but damage to outside of tv was consistent (the telly is not working so something on the inside is obviously broken) and its as if they are trying to say it is a fraudulent claim (which i can assure you it isn't!). They have had me go over what happened several times over the phone as if trying to catch me out lying and now want me to write down and draw pictures of what happened and get it independently witnessed. Bottom line is that I asked for a copy of the reports in full but was refused as they said it was a private contract between them and the report compant. Can i SAR them for this as I would like to know what i am up against! I have googled the insurance company in question (Legal & General) and a lot of the reviews have stated that they faced similar struggles in claiming, so anyone thinking of going with them beware!

There is a good chance they will refuse to give you the information on the basis of section29 (3) of the DPA, which is for the purpose of crime prevention.... If this happens you will need to complaint to the Registrar

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

I doubt they will hide behind section 29, it's a biggie for rare cases. Also it's not unusual for an insurer's supplier when making these allegations to not put any of your personal data on their report, the DPA only allows you to see info relating to you, if there is just a claim no, tv make/model and no mention of you or your address, then that's not covered under the DPA. They do have to disclose all if you go to court, or the FOS.

Are they outright repudiating the claim for both items? I can understand the TV, they have evidence to suggest it was knackered before the incident, you will have to get a report that states the damage was caused by the knock prior to this. But if they are alleging the laptop was not damaged by it, then they are alleging something bigger.

I'm sorry to tell you, and I'm not making any insinuations as 1) I don't know you and 2) accidents do happen, but this is one of the biggest type of claims around - tv breaks down, tv gets "moved" and dropped, usually onto something else. Again sorry, as you said above it's better to know what your up against.

It's up to you to prove that the TV did not have this fault prior to the incident. You would need to get your own inspection that would state the damage