• Tweets

• and another one   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses Never mind losing whip - how about criminal charges   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses According to the The Times, £14,000 given by donors for use on Tory campaign activities was transferred to Mr Menzies’ personal bank accounts and used for private medical expenses. The MP, who is one of Rishi Sunak’s trade envoys, is also said to have called his 78-year-old former campaign manager at 3.15am one day in December, claiming he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”. The sum, which rose to £6,500, was eventually paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from funds raised from donors   "According to a source close to Mr Menzies, the MP had met a man on an online dating website and gone to the man’s flat, before subsequently going with another man to a second address where he continued drinking. He was sick at one point and several people at the address demanded £5,000, claiming it was for cleaning up and other expenses."    
    • He asked for that one, didn't he?
    • Trump was unable to make it through the first day of court without falling asleep on Monday, which sparked a whole host of jokes, memes and even a new nickname, 'Dozy Don'    
    • The shift to card and contactless technology in the past decade has been rapid - not just in Britain, but in all sorts of remote pockets of the world. This is yet a further sign of it.View the full article
    • We both sent our completed N181 form to the court and claimants solicitors. We haven't received anything from the solicitors yet but perhaps we will today. How are directions agreed ? Does the claimant file proposed directions with their Directions Questionnaire ? I will update once anything is received from the solicitors.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Getting information from a hospital

frankieg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4791 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I made a complaint about my fathers poor hospital care back in sept 2009. After dealing with the hospital and Ombudsman for all this time I've gotten nowhere. Finally talked to my new MP - he contacted the hospital to find out what's going on and received a reply from the CEO with a lot of conflicting and inaccurate information. This was only a few weeks ago and he forwarded it to me. My main concerns are where else did it go and what other inaccurate information was also sent out?. The CEO is only willing to investigate a 'complaint about the handling of a complaint' whatever that is not re-investigate the complaint itself . Can I get copies of all information sent within and to agencies outside the Trust about this complaint? I would ask PALs for help but they tell me that the complaints department refuses to have anything to do with me as the hospital has 'closed' this case. Also since a lot of the inaccuracies are about me- what i did and didn't do ( for example that they set up a meeting between me and the consultant and i canceled it, when actually i went!)would i have grounds to launch a new complaint about what has been said about me?

Send the hospital Trust a Subject Access Request; this will oblige them to provide you with all the data they hold pertaining to you.

Be aware, though, that they can charge up to £50 for this (as opposed to the usual £10 for non-medical SAR).

You may also want to consider speaking to the hospital's Trustees about the way your complaint has been handled. Ultimately you can take your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

I shouldn't be at all surprised to find a catalogue of admin errors, and then a flurry of arse-protecting measures leading to the Chief Exec being told what his staff think he wants to hear - especially if there have been previous similar complaints.

Thank you this information request is it only for my fathers medical records? - i have those. Letters were sent by the hospital CEO to 2 MPs (one to the labour in power before the election, the other to the Conservative who took over from her) and they contain conflicting information. I have been to the ombudsman who declined to investigate, she says mostly based on what the complaints department told her. Some of these things originated from there. The letter the conservative MP received was full of lets say 'untruths' and they where about me -what i said and did , not about my dad who the complaint was about. The hospital portrayed me as a relative who wouldn't accept dad received examplery care and how they bent over backward trying to accommaidate me - for example, that they set up meetings for me and i kept cancelingl them (there were two and i went to both) and it made the MP turn me down. The MP had me write out these discrepancies and he sent them to the CEO. he refuses to discuss them with the MP- it doesnt seem to bother him he lied to an MP . Since he obviously has no intention of correcting inaccurate information, I need to know what else he said and to where it got sent to.

What do you hope to do if you can obtain the information?

From your latest posts it seems that you have exhausted all the usual channels of complaint, and it looks as if the MP and the Ombudsman have decided that the complaint has been dealt with, even though you don't agree with the outcome. Frankly, if you want to show that hospital staff lied or covered up, I doubt that it will be worth the effort.

The MP is approaching the ombudsman about her decision- as he wasn't too impressed by the hospital treatment of my father and myself. But he cant do anything about finding out what information the CEO sent elsewhere- thats outside his area. He is worried that , without a change in hospital policy, this situation could easily arise again and happen to someone else. And since what happened to my father led to his death well I really do consider it worth the effort. So again can I use Subject Access Request to get information other then just his chart?

Edited by frankieg
spelling

We can't guess what you want to do, hence the questions - you had not previously mentioned that your father had died, or the MP's disquiet at the Ombudsman's findings.

A subject access request should reveal all the data held on an individual, not just medical records, but it will be worthwhile being specific in the request. The Information Commissioner's website at http://www.ico.gov.uk has details of how to make a request for data relating to a deceased person.

You should be aware that if a data processor doesn't want to disclose data they will find ways to keep it to themselves - a SAR isn't a magic bullet.

Your MP can ask the Secretary of State for Health to investigate - but he'll know that.

Thanks scarlet pimpernel, appreciate the info. I will try PAls for the information . Sorry about not passing on things . Dads death was a long drawn out affair in which a very active independent man ended up totally bed-bound on oxygen and in great pain. I took him home for terminal care and it was very distressing especially as i knew from my own nursing knowledge he should never had ended up like this. Even nearly a year later I dont like talking about it

Thanks scarlet pimpernel, appreciate the info. I will try PAls for the information . Sorry about not passing on things . Dads death was a long drawn out affair in which a very active independent man ended up totally bed-bound on oxygen and in great pain. I took him home for terminal care and it was very distressing especially as i knew from my own nursing knowledge he should never had ended up like this. Even nearly a year later I dont like talking about it

I think that the feelings you describe are normal, and part of your grieving process. Thank you for providing the details, - it helps to have the whole picture.

The events surrounding your father's death are clearly still very raw for you, and I wonder if the way in which matters have not been satisfactorily resolved is prolonging things to some extent, which would be completely understandable.

I think that you need to be very clear about what your concerns are now (as opposed to rehashing the original complaint); as I read things these revolve around conflicting statements in correspondence to MPs, and that these statements are in some way derogatory to you or untrue. In addition, I think you need to have a clear idea of what will bring resolution; otherwise, I suspect that positions will become even more entrenched and the original problem will be forgotten. If you are looking for an acknowledgement that things went wrong, have you made this clear? I ask because the default setting in many Trusts is that complaint = compensation, so they go on the defensive from the outset.

Oh I've done my grieving- now I'm just angry. The hospital and ombudsman are fully aware all I wanted for dad was a proper apology for what happened to him and something done so no one else suffered as he did. He waited 17 hrs for emergency surgery for a condition that the NHS considers 'extremely dangerous and labile requiring immediate treatment' . By the time he had the operation part of his bowel was dead, had perforated, he was full of pus and had peritonitis. The hospital stated - in writing- all operations in their emergency theater were on emergency patients sicker then he was but wont answer why 2 elective operations were performed in that theater just before him delaying him a further 4 hours. The delay and electives being operated on in the emergency theater is what the MP is taking to the ombudsman. And its not just me- the District nurses ( who i had to arrange to take care of the fist sized hole in his groin he was dismissed with, which was contaminated because he was doubly incontinent and had diarrhea ) tried to get an investigation as to why he was sent home in such poor shape- they wanted to send him back the day after he came home- they didn't get anywhere. Even the GP was disgusted All I got was a denial he was incontinent, although i have a letter saying he was, a letter saying his wound wasn't infected , a second saying it was infected and a third saying it had the potential to be infected as to why it wasnt closed or a drain inserted . And thats just on one thing that happened after surgery, theres many more-too many to go into here. I have 3 years after dad died and iwill find a way to get that apology

It sounds dreadful, and I can understand why you are angry.

I regularly have to explain to people the other side of the coin - why their elective surgery was cancelled for the third day running because of emergencies, for example - and I know that the answers are rarely simple, though I'm not trying to make excuses for the NHS.

I can't suggest anything else at the moment, though I sincerely hope that you will get the outcome you're seeking.

Hi Frankieg, i dont blame you to keep it going, they know what they did to your father and should apologise, but they think they are to big for that, i have chased them for what17 monthes now and im not giving up and they know it, untill they tell me the truth i will persue it im not going away and thats what they dont like they believe their answer is it finished well its not finished not till they answer what they did wrong, i now have the records i wanted, and i have seen the DNAR signed by the doctor, and he states that he will WITHDRAW my sons treatment, yet another doctor says "in light of the progress i am not ready to limit, so they actually disagreed, he pulled himself through it his strength pulled him through and the love of his family, the doctor told us that, yet he wouldnt resus my son if he went into cardiac arrest, doctors dont know everything my sons life was on a thread but he pulled through and i beleive they should wait if a patient is going to die then let them die but at least keep them going not pull the plug because they feel its nessesary, they are not gods and shouldnt play gods with peoples lives

Hi Frankieg

I can explain why your father was sent home in such a poor state, its to do with HDMR's, if you want a further explaination, please let me know. The same thing happened to my father, a very poor discharge, with no home oxygen etc. I hope you have received my recent posts/messages (private).

Regards

What are HDMR's Hector? I remember about your dad- it was terrible. I got your messages and have replied. And scarletpimpernel, thanks for your kind words and advice- and I feel very sorry for todays nurses always stuck in the middle. This that happened to dad was only on his first admission. There were two more ,the last one being 7 weeks on the ward and in intensive care. On those two admission his care was wonderful and couldn't be faulted..

i work and have worked in several NHS hospitals, there is alway a complaint department, which consists of a couple of secs doing the admin, i have dealt with several different data access requests, and there is indeed a form you can complete to have access to medical files, my employers chanrge the full £50, but i would suggest rather than going through PALS, or the complaints department, contact the Medical Records department, there will be the people ultimately who will charge you and copy the file and send to you. contact the main number for the hospital and ask for the medical records department, ask for the access to patient medical records form, get them to send it you, fill it out and send back to them with the cheque.

do we have to pay for Subject Access Request SAR this is information all hospitals keep about us thats what i want to get hold of then i can see just what they do say about patients, i have my sons notes now and its full of lies, why do they write things about us when we never said it, i think this is all wrong, my MP will be seeing this, and i have now seen the DNAR request form, and that doctor did say he wanted to withdraw my sons treatment, yet another doctor dissagreed with the withdrawing and got him on ecmoo where he got over his illness and is alive, this is disgraceful how can just one doctor put a DNAR on a patient and yet there was other treatments for my son,its like your going to die and your going to live because i said so now they are trusts there is no one higher than them so we as patients have no protection now no wonder they wanted to becaome trsusts so they have no one to answer to anymore and they can do what they want to us its all wrong

Hi All

I've been told its a Data Subject Access and it costs £10.00. Not sure what information it may contain.

At my local LINKs they have queried the validity of PROM's - operations with poor outcomes such as knee, hip replacements, hernias and varicose veins. Has anyone experienced difficulty in getting these operations in the NHS?

Hi Hector i thought someone said it held all info about you, not sure if thats right, id like to do a SAR, just to see what they do have on me, and maybe one on my son, after reading his notes i think we really do need to see his notes more than mine,how long does it take for them to come does anyone know?