New and unsure....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm very sorry, I couldn't seem to find the best place to post my question....

My son is 22 and disabled. He has been in his own privately rented apartment for 2 years, receives full housing benefit and pays a top up amount every month to Walker Singleton - the agents for the property.

When he signed up, I signed as his guarantor, as he had no credit score.

Upon renewal last year, I was asked to guarantor again, even though he has always been a model tenant and paid on time. When i queried the need for this I was informed that it was always the first 2 years that a guarantor was required, so I signed again.

It is now that time again - and AGAIN they want me to guarantor the tenancy - NOW stating that since my son does not work, he will ALWAYS require a guarantor.

I would like to know if they are allowed to change the goalposts like this, and are they obliged to answer a freedom of information request if I ask the number of tenants receiving housing benefit and the number of tenants with a guarantor for their tenancy?

I believe that they are discriminating against my son due to his disability but cannot prove this without the facts and figures, but do not know where I stand with making them comply?

Many thanks in advance

Nickki

Hello and Welcome, Nickki.

I've moved your this thread to the appropriate Forum where hopefully you'll get some help.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Niccki, welcome.

Currently non-public companies are not subject to FOIA provisions, though nothing to stop you making a polite request re G policy, which they can decline to answer. Your son should have signed some Authorisation for a credit check (DPA) and you should have signed a form agreeing to be G. These may prove more fruitful for T&Cs

LAs often require Gs for any tenant, with or without a deposit, if credit check or refs do not meet their requirements.

If your son (whether disabled or able-bodied) cannot provide an adequate credit check/score for ANY proposed Tenancy or renewal, I would anticipate the LA/LL to request a house owning G. Unless you can show otherwise

There are many people with high credit scores who do not meet the personal criteria for credit.

Not the news you may to hear, perhaps, but also bear in mind if your son has an AST (Assured Shorthold tenancy - you are in England, or Wales, aren't you?) then upon expiry of the original term the Landlord can serve notice at any time (in broad terms, of course)

So, if the rent is not increasing (too much) and you and your son are generally happy with the accommodation it may sometimes be worth just keeping your head down... the Agent 'could' be discriminating, of course, but on the face of it they may just be doing what they can to minimise any potential grief should it arise later

In my earlier life as Agent I'd always try to minimise a Landlord's grief (non payment of rent, damage done etc) and - where circumstances would allow - would always seek (and retain) a Guarantor, wherever possible, too

Hope this helps in some way and good luck in whatever you decide to do too

(Caveat: I would like to think I have never discriminated against anyone, save obvious idiots, or had to face an accusation of the same either. My comments, above, are more just in relation to the practical downsides of AST's - but hope this helps in some way all the same!)

• Haha 1

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

• 4 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.