• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

SLC, Thesis & FFHE - who should I deal with?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3544 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Can someone please help me with some questions? I'm trying to phrase a response to Thesis who are chasing me for a student loan from 1997. I requested a SAR and on receiving it had some questions to put to them. They have come back with the answers and I would appreciate a steer on where to go from here. The loan is not statute barred.

They told me the owners of the loan are actually FFHE not Thesis. Does this mean Thesis' threat of default is unlawful? They sent a DN but to date there is nothing on my credit file.

The notice of assignment from SLC to FFHE is generic and contains no information that identifies the loan as being mine - can I insist on a copy of this?

The copy of the terms and conditions they sent are illegible. They have said for £14 I can request the original from SLC (I have done this without sending the £14 and they are just the same).

The signatory for SLC is illegible - they say this does not invalidate the agreement. I thought it did as the loan was before April 2007.

As Thesis do not own the loan, can I refuse to deal with them in future and insist on dealing only with FFHE?

Please help, this whole situation is very stressful.

Thanks.

How did you request the SAR?...... and was it sent by rec. delivery?.... because it sounds like you've had a lot of phone conversations with these people and they've skirted around your questions.

The SAR costs £10.... the £14 that they mention is rubbish. You are entitled to receive all documenation pertaining to yourself under this request and not just the dubious t&cs they've sent you.

If Thesis do not own the account, then they can't do anything to you. Only the owner of the account can bring legal action against you, so please stop talking to them on the phone. When they realise they're having no impact on you at all, the account should find it's way back to FFHE and you can deal with them directly. Please can you outline the history of how/when the loan went from SLC to FFHE (what does this stand for anyway?) and then to Thesis?

:-)

If there is any clear period of six years where you did not make a written admission, make a payment or had the loan deferred it would be Staute Barred. (five in Scotland)

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

They sent a DN but to date there is nothing on my credit file
If this was sent six months after the a/c became in default they are in breach of OFT guidelines.

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you both for your replies.

Unfortunately the debt is not statute barred as it has been deferred every year. :(

I have only dealt with Thesis in writing, their responses were to my letter which I sent to follow up on the SAR information they had sent to me.

I will tell them that I am entitled to all information requested under the DPA and that it is unfair of them to ask for further monies.

FFHE stands for Finance for Further and Higher Education. Apparently SLC sold a bunch of loans to them in 1998 and Thesis Servicing now adminster them. I have no idea of the history of how and when MY loan went to them as they sent me a generic letter with no personal details on at all saying SLC sold the loan to FFHE and Thesis now adminstered it. It could have been a copy of a template for all the information it had on it. No loan account, no address, no name etc.

Are Thesis acting illegally by sending a DN since then do not own the debt? How can I ascertain when the debt went into default (in order to work out if the DN was sent over 6 months after this).

Many thanks again for your help. I do not want to get out of paying what I owe but at the moment I cannot afford to pay anything!

A default notice has to be registered by the original creditor & then it can be updated by the new purchaser.

If they do register a default make a complaint to the CRAs and the ICO.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A default notice has to be registered by the original creditor & then it can be updated by the new purchaser.

If they do register a default make a complaint to the CRAs and the ICO.

Thank you for this. To date there is no default registered so I shall keep a close eye on my credit file. And take the necessary action if and when!

Thank you again. :)

I have only dealt with Thesis in writing, their responses were to my letter which I sent to follow up on the SAR information they had sent to me.

I will tell them that I am entitled to all information requested under the DPA and that it is unfair of them to ask for further monies.

FFHE stands for Finance for Further and Higher Education. Apparently SLC sold a bunch of loans to them in 1998 and Thesis Servicing now adminster them. I have no idea of the history of how and when MY loan went to them as they sent me a generic letter with no personal details on at all saying SLC sold the loan to FFHE and Thesis now adminstered it. It could have been a copy of a template for all the information it had on it. No loan account, no address, no name etc.

You also need a Statement of Account; showing details of the preceise amount alleged to be owing at the point of sale/transfer..... and the amount alleged to be owing now. That way, you can check to see if any "fantasy" charges have been added.

Surely if you cannot afford to pay it you can get it defered ad infinitum. I took out student loans for 5 years from 1995, and each year I defer them. They won't get SBed but as I am unlikely to ever earn the £26448 pa needed before repayments start I'll never have to pay them back. I did miss the deferement years ago and had to pay it out of my Disability Benefits (this was well before I knew about CAG, and thought DCAs told the truth), but since then I have not had to pay.

The method of payments has changed over the years (as has the amount one got in debt), first off you did not pay untill you earned more than above, then it was a fixed amount. Now the amount you can earn before you have to pay is a lot less but payments are suposed to be more affordable. Not sure what that means, but I pity those that starting now, they will have to borrow what I did over 5 years just to go to uni for 1 before they even think about paying rent/living costs or buying books.

Surely if you cannot afford to pay it you can get it defered ad infinitum. I took out student loans for 5 years from 1995, and each year I defer them. They won't get SBed but as I am unlikely to ever earn the £26448 pa needed before repayments start I'll never have to pay them back. I did miss the deferement years ago and had to pay it out of my Disability Benefits (this was well before I knew about CAG, and thought DCAs told the truth), but since then I have not had to pay.

The method of payments has changed over the years (as has the amount one got in debt), first off you did not pay untill you earned more than above, then it was a fixed amount. Now the amount you can earn before you have to pay is a lot less but payments are suposed to be more affordable. Not sure what that means, but I pity those that starting now, they will have to borrow what I did over 5 years just to go to uni for 1 before they even think about paying rent/living costs or buying books.

That ceiling is way too high.... it's currently just over £16.5K (approx.) before repayments need to be made. The ceiling for repayments is only going up once the fee hike comes in but even then, it's only to around the £21K mark.

Where did you get a figure of £26, 448 from?

That is the figure for the pre 98 loan I have. I can defer if my income not including my disability benefits is less than £2204 per month, it goes up each year, it was 1900 odd last year. To get £26448 pa I just timed it by twelve. I think the figure is/was based on half the average wage expected for graduates.

Although I did not leave uni until the 21st century my loan was still under the old rules and I even got a grant each year. I retook my final year so everyone else I studied with had to borrow under the new rules and got no grant. Most people who were at uni with me would have paid their loans back but I have deferred mine for 10 years, and will continue to do so each year.

Edited by count orlok
Crikey.... that's a very generous ceiling for our Government at that time then.... lol.... no wonder they dropped it.

Good for you :-)

Ironically that was from the Tories, it was Labour that finished off the grant and the very generous loan conditions; not only was the repayment threshold as mentioned, the way the interest was calculated made it so low that last year it was negative and the balance went down! Although the grant was reduced by half and made up with the student loan by the Tories, it was Labour that brought in tuition fees.

Ironically that was from the Tories, it was Labour that finished off the grant and the very generous loan conditions; not only was the repayment threshold as mentioned, the way the interest was calculated made it so low that last year it was negative and the balance went down! Although the grant was reduced by half and made up with the student loan by the Tories, it was Labour that brought in tuition fees.

From Thesis Servicing's website:

Changes to Deferment Threshold

As from 1st September

2010 until 31st August 2011 the deferment earning threshold will REDUCE from

£27,050 to £26,449

If you are not currently deferred but

feel you are now eligible to defer your repayments for 12 months, please call

our Customer Service Officers on 0844 736 8426 quoting your loan reference

number and someone will be happy to assist you.

Thank god when I did my degree it was through the old LEA grant system.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I took mine through the Open University.... which was the only way realistic way forward for me.

My daughter is at uni. now but she's just missed the fee hike, so I s'pose we're luckier than most.