What to claim for ?

DAISY23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last week, a car crashed off the road, demolished my dwarf wall, went through the garden and crashed into my car which was on the drive. The driver, who was drunk and driving her husbands car, ran off but subsequently gave herself up to police and has been charged.

My car, an old Punto is likely to be written off but I have not finished paying for it until July.

I know that I can claim for the wall and for established plants but it doesnt seem fair that I will only get about £500 for the car but I still owe £556 on it !

Any suggestions gratefully received - I do have Legal Assistance from my Union membership but dont really know what to ask.

Many thanks

If your car is totaled, then you ask for the price of as near direct replacement as possible. IE:- The sellers asking price less a few pounds for a no trade in discount. The insurance co. will likely offer you some rubbish figure that one of these trade books publish, but IMO don't accept this initally. Have a look around to see what a similar car is priced at in a garage, and this will give you some idea what to ask for.

Just explain exactly what you have said here Daisy to the Union appointed solicitors and let them take it on. It won't affect your subs unlike the legal protection offered on car and household policies. They are on huge retainers by the Union and thus have to deliver in terms of customer service and expertise. They will advise you as to the best way to handle it and if you have a genuine case will take it all the way.

Frankly, being a member of a Union for what it costs each month is probably the best value for money insurance policy you can get as the people they employ aren't intimidated, know their stuff and generally deliver the dogs dooh dahs!!

Just explain exactly what you have said here Daisy to the Union appointed solicitors and let them take it on. It won't affect your subs unlike the legal protection offered on car and household policies. They are on huge retainers by the Union and thus have to deliver in terms of customer service and expertise. They will advise you as to the best way to handle it and if you have a genuine case will take it all the way.

Frankly, being a member of a Union for what it costs each month is probably the best value for money insurance policy you can get as the people they employ aren't intimidated, know their stuff and generally deliver the dogs dooh dahs!!

you got more faith in unions than I have Helio! And I speak from experience!

Obviously the TP's insurers will be the ones paying out on this. But maybe when the driver is bought before the courts, she could be made to pay compensation. Have you had a word with the police about your damages to see if there is an avenue to persue there?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Edited by sailor sam

As you are not at fault and the claim is to be paid by the third party insurers, you are entitled to be put back into the same position as you were prior to the incident.

They are obliged to settle at a price that will enable you to replace the car on a like-for-like basis (ie same model, colour, trim level and approximate age and mileage). They will, however, try to force you much lower; you need to fight them. Get price quotes from advertisements like Autotrader - ignore the price guide books

As already mentioned, you are entitled to claim the value of a like for like car. Additionally you are also entitled to claim for your out of pocket expenses such as phone calls, cost of any postage and correspondence and any other costs you have incurred.