• Tweets

• thank you. Under the Consumer Rights Act you are entitled to have a vehicle of satisfactory quality.   If a defect appears within the first 6 months of ownership which means that the car is not satisfactory then you are required to give the dealer a single opportunity to repair or else refund you.   So the question is what condition would a car of that make model, age and mileage and price be in.   I think the best way forward is to raise the issue with the dealer but also start to make your own researches as to whether the rust damage to this vehicle is beyond what would be expected of a vehicle of that character and in those circumstances.   When you have discovered. then come back here.   Additionally, you haven't told us the cost of the vehicle. that would be helpful to know because it will affect the quality of vehicle that you would reasonably expect.   Also I asked you the name of the dealer and you haven't told us. Are you trying to protect them?                
    • Thank you Slick132. I don't have in writing how long the actual works themselves would take but believe they said it was two weeks.   I spoke with CAB earlier today and they've said I can cancel this order as the company are already in breach of the terms, plus catching them out re the manufacturer's and the buildings regs she said to put in writing that I was cancelling and mention breach of consumer protection, unfair trading regulations and the fact that they are wilfully misleading me.   She said the credit card company will handle the refund as I hoped. I don't want them working for me in any way shape or form now.
    • Hi thanks for replying, The car was registered in 2009 ½, as I said a 59 plate. Mileage, when I got it it had circa 45K miles, it now has circa 72K miles. I have had it for 3 years almost to the month. I got it from a dealership in Loughborough, on the selling point that it was low mileage and was dealership serviced. Shortly after my return home to Southampton, I took it into my local dealership for a once over, part of which entailed one of their mechanics sitting with me while I drove around locally. I wanted them to take over looking after the car for me. Hope this helps?
    • just remember a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF and have ZERO   legal powers on any debt no matter what it's type.
    • Hi.   You've posted in the self-employment forum although as I understand it you can only be made redundant as an employee.   I've moved your thread to the Employment forum, people should be along to advise later.   HB
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

1st Credit - Connaught - Goldfish, Stat Demand ** Won** + Costs

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3544 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I went to the County Court today, Judge not impressed with 1st Credit - Connaught set aside the Stat Demand and virtually talked me into claiming costs, awarded me £50. I had requested 1st Credit - Connaught provide me with a copy of the original agreement which they were unable to do... in fact never even replied to me or the Court. If any one wants a copy of the letter i sent to them let me know.

Edited by alanfromderby
Error in costs figure corrected by poster.
:whoo:

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

Make sure you report them to the Office Of Fair Trading too...

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

and if you dont get your costs within 14 days set a DCA on them :-)

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

We shoud have a CAG DCA specifically for these situations :)

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

Thanks for all the congrats folks... Yes this was a Morgan Stanley account sold on eventually to 1st Credit. The Judge told me i was the third person he had seen in the same situation and he was aware that Morgan Stanley accounts were changed to goldfish then sold on to Lloyds then Barclays who seem to have off loaded many of them to the DCA's, however, the paper trail is so bad that it is almost impossible for any of the DCA's to get a copy of the original agreement or even enough info to make a case. He noticed on my stat demand that it stated the original creditor was "Goldfish" and he said I would have got my set aside granted on that alone as the original creditor was Morgan Stanley. It was granted to me because Conaught failed to provide me with a copy of the documents they would have been relying on in Court I had requested them under CPR PD 16 para 7.3 and CPR 31.14 sent it recorded delivery and they did not reply to the request .... easy as that.

I have also sent away tonight a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading.

Edited by AllanLyn

A nice complaint to TS and the OFT as 1st crud are still under OFT sanctions by the OFT for trying to use the insolvencey service as a debt collection tool. Oh, and copy them in to really kick the boot in. Not that I'm biased at all you understand ;)

This is very interesting, especially so as you invoked the Civil Procedure Rules, which I was led to believe cannot normally be used as bankruptcy is governed by the Isolvency Rules....

Application of the Rules

(1) Subject to paragraph (2), these Rules apply to all proceedings in –

(a) county courts;

(b) the High Court; and

© the Civil Division of the Court of Appeal.

(2) These Rules do not apply to proceedings of the kinds specified in the first column of the following table (proceedings for which rules may be made under the enactments specified in the second column) except to the extent that they are applied to those proceedings by another enactment –

ProceedingsEnactments1.Insolvency proceedingsInsolvency Act 19861, ss.411 and 4122.Non-contentious or common form probate proceedingsSupreme Court Act 19812, s.1273.Proceedings in the High Court when acting as a Prize CourtPrize Courts Act 18943, s.34.Proceedings before the Court of ProtectionMental Capacity Act 20054, s.515.Family proceedingsMatrimonial and Family Proceedings Act 19845, s.406.Adoption proceedingsAdoption Act 19766, s.66 or Adoption and Children Act 2002, s.141©7.7.Election petitions in the High CourtRepresentation of the People Act 19838, s.182

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

well done Allanlyn what will be there next move ??????? The moral letter me thinks... I have an old morgan stanley from the naughty nineties, paying off at token rate so I have followed this with glee....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Happyhippy1959

Hi 42man .... I had no idea that the CPR rules did not apply and and I may never know if 1st credit did not reply because I used those rules, this is the sentence from my letter to them and which the judge read and made no comment to me about it being wrong.

1. The agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing (the copy should be a true copy signed by both parties it should be clear and legible with the terms and conditions attached that were in force at the time of signing).

Then further down I added this : You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

There was of course more to the letter and the judge read it all the way way through, asked me if they responded, told him no, and he said " for that reason I have no problem granting the set aside. how much in costs would you like?"

Who knows? ... maybe i was just lucky but it was still a win and I guess others might want to give it a try.

I am delighted you won, as I had been in a similar situation myself.....I think you had a good judge too !!! It makes me rethink the approach now to these demands...

Please note correction to opening post - costs awarded were £50.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

Well done! It brings back that good feeling I had when I got a set aside on a Statutory Demand from, yes...1st Credit...I was awarded costs of approx £130 and yes they did pay within the 14 days :D the default is still showing on my credit file, but credit file hasn't been updated since the set aside in 2008, I do get yearly statements from 1st Credit though, so its obviously still on their books!