Jobseekers Allowance

JWoody
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4824 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I own a house in Wiltshire and due to my husband losing his job and unable to find work locally, we decided to go wherever the work was. So when he got a job in Essex, I gave up my job and we hopped in our caravan and went to Essex. We are currently on a campsite, so therefore do not have a permanent address. Can anyone tell me if I will be entiled to claim jobseekers allowance?

Thanks.

As you have made yourself "Voluntarily Unemployed" it will end up in the hands of a DM (Decision Maker) Edit further info The DM will look at why you moved, how long was the moved planned, what did you do to find work in Essex before the move etc

Edited by Life-Goes-On

Yes, if you are available for and actively looking for work, then you are able to claim JSA.

However, when you make your claim, they may withhold benefits for an initial period if they decide that you deliberately made yourself unemployed without good reason. Many years ago, moved across the UK giving up a job, but because I was able to show good reason for the move, for the timing of the move and that I had attempted to find work in the area before the move the decision maker found in my favour that I was being reasonable.

In your case, you will be able to show good reasons for the move and its timing. (they may question why your other half does not commute weekly so be ready to counter that). If you can show job search. or show lack of advance knowledge then you are quite likely to get a favourable decision.

As long as you satisfy the qualifiying conditions of Jobseekers allowance you will be entitled to it, however your personal circumstances will have to be taken into consideration.

You will need to provide a care of or postal address that the jobcentre and benefit delivery centre will be able to contact you. This could be the caravan site office if you wish.

You say you have a second property (other than the caravan you are currently living in) you will have to declare this and they will look at it capital if you are not selling the property or income (minus any mortgage) from any rent if you have tenants. This can potentially affect the amount you are entitled to.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

You can also claim housing benefit if your spouse is not earning sufficient even though you live in a caravan. We lived permanently in a caravan for 2 1/2 years but never claimed anything as both of us were employed, however we have a number of friends around the country that have lost everything and are now living permanently in caravans until their fortunes improve.

Monx has raised a couple of very good issuest today, but there is some more detail that you may want to know. By not living in your house, it looses several protections.

If you claim means tested benefits, the equity in the house counts as savings. They will only take into account a loan secured on the house that was used to buy the house or build an extension. Any equity withdraw will be disallowed, and counted as savings. In addition, any net income from tenants will be counted as income.

However the big one is capital gains tax (CGT). The complete exemption for capital gains on houses will be lost if you do not sell in within 3 years of not living there. How they calculate the capital gain and then apply the tax on the gain will depend on the rules in place at the point when you sell the house. At the moment, CGT is quite low 18% and has a life time allowance of £1m, but these are the sorts of things that are likely to change.

(The principle tax avoidance mechanism for high earners is to change income into a capital gain, to pay a lower tax rate on the money. so i expect that the CGT tax rules will be substantially changed for the worse over the next few years.)