DWP's Customer Information System (CIS) + tax details held

JimmyR12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

What a great place this is. Loads of good - invaluable - information, in lots of areas.

I would be v. grateful if anyone knows the answer to my query about the kind of information that is held on the DWP's system, the Customer Information System. Particularly if any ex-benefits officers or similar are able to respond (I say this having noticed there are some on this forum!). Basically, I am looking to make a tax credits claim. I understand that HMRC tax credits information gets put on the Customer Information System.

This means that Local Authorities get given the tax credits information. This is no problem for me on its own - I just wonder if *more* than tax credits information gets put on the CIS after you make your tax credits claim. Do your tax details (ie details of income and tax paid) get put on CIS also?

Again, not a problem per se, it's just I don't like the idea of all my personal details like, other stuff beyond the simple tax credits information (award level, date starts, when it's going on to etc) going on the CIS.

Does income and tax paid, then, go on to CIS? And if I make a tax credits claim now, do details of my income and tax paid for any previous years also go on to CIS?

Additionally, what exact details of my housing benefit claim go on to CIS (if I make one)? Is it just a 'flag' to show I am claiming or is the amount on there as well? I remember claiming JSA once, a fair time back, and although I didn't think CIS was supposed to have the amount of housing benefit per week on it, I could see that it did have, so the person I was signing on with every fortnight could see how much housing benefit I was getting. That's fine I suppose (again there's no problem, per se - it's just, is that the way the system is supposed to or does work (maybe it was a fluke in my case), if so I would like to know about it as it is all to do with my personal information, and who has access to it.

Sounds in theory like CIS doesn't have the amount of HB on it, only that you are claiming (though they can find out if they wanted to, anyone looking at CIS); and that it records tax credits details but not other details on people's tax returns; and that HMRC people aren't supposed to be able to look at CIS without applying for special access/permission (which LA people also need although in practice this is given routinely).

No doubt I ought to stop fussing about the way my information could be spreading around beyond this 'way things are supposed to work' picture...but anyway it would be good to know whether this picture is correct in its details, of the way things are supposed to work.

Anyone especially any experts on here?!

many thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Best regards

Jimmy Richardson

I take it as read as being a benefit claimant, that somewhere my inside leg measurement is on file and as long as keep them updated as to any changes for instance my leg grows longer:lol:that I need not worry. I always thought that the liasing between depts was improving so better to assume they have everything on file like big brother and not to worry about it. I mean it wouldnt be of use to anyone but to check facts and as long as correct no worries.

It should only in this day and age be a concern to someone with something to be concerned about arising out of the linked info, not saying you are that person obviously, but dont worry we cant do anything about it anyhow so better to assume they have everything, as if need arises they can soon source it anyhow soon enough.

I can only speak for print outs of information I've seen on client's appeal papers. In all the appeals I've dealt with the print outs from the CIS only contain very limited information in relation to the particulars of a person's individual claims. But that said, it may be similar to other computer programmes held in that how much can be accessed depends on the role of the staff member. A member of staff answering phones in a contact centre to take general queries will only be able to see basic information on enquiry screens. A processor would have the access required to input information specific to the particular benefit they process. A manager would have a higher level of access to your information.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Many thanks to all who have replied here!

@ inovermyhead2...(and possibly jabba jones and erikapnp)

you sound like you really know what's on CIS, inovermyhead2 (nice user name b-t-w!); can I ask you then, does it have the amount of housing benefit = council tax benefit received on it (among the details of the other things you've mentioned are on it)? From what others have put (like jabba jones) it sounds like there may just be an 'indicator' or flag to say that you had a claim between such and such dates (without it saying the amount) - but I wonder if, as one or two of those other people imply may potentially be the case, it is just a case of needing to click somewhere (once inside the Customer Information System) to get another screen that would give details of the amount of housing benefit/council tax benefit received?

If you know, most grateful to hear! Many thanks in advance!

DWP definitely works closely with other benefits, my sis used to work for social security & they can all check what you're getting, but i'm not sure about the amounts bit. They dont routinely do it though at set times I know that much. But they'll do it randomly with current claimers of a certain benefit?

But at the end of the day people are responsible for letting everyone know when they no longer get a benefit because it's not automatic they'll all know. I learnt this the hard way.

Many thanks to all who have replied here!

@ inovermyhead2...(and possibly jabba jones and erikapnp)

you sound like you really know what's on CIS, inovermyhead2 (nice user name b-t-w!); can I ask you then, does it have the amount of housing benefit = council tax benefit received on it (among the details of the other things you've mentioned are on it)? From what others have put (like jabba jones) it sounds like there may just be an 'indicator' or flag to say that you had a claim between such and such dates (without it saying the amount) - but I wonder if, as one or two of those other people imply may potentially be the case, it is just a case of needing to click somewhere (once inside the Customer Information System) to get another screen that would give details of the amount of housing benefit/council tax benefit received?

If you know, most grateful to hear! Many thanks in advance!

The prints I have seen have only shown an interest in HB/CTB and show the relevant local authority that deals/dealt with the claim and dates. However like I said, if it's like other governmental computer systems then unless someone is here who has "access all areas" to CIS you're not likely to find out whether more than that is shown. In some of the computer systems where a person only has certain acess they are not even made aware of other areas that could be accessed if they had the authority as it simply doesn't show on the computer screen to them as an option. And some people who think they have full access don't.

As an example, I've dealt with Jobcentre staff who think they have access to all areas of a Jobseeker's record; they are completely unaware of other areas of the records that are there, because the option to view them only appears to those staff who have access to that particular part of the record. The Jobcentre customer advisor won't have as much access as the Benefit Delivery Centre processor. The benefit delivery centre processor won't have as much access as the FIS authorised officer, and so fourth. I've only become aware of some of these screens myself when a print is included in an appeal or SAR bundle, and I've seen a lot of benefit records over the years.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

CIS has quite a few tabs on it such as address history, name history etc. But the two that relate to this thread are “Award History” & “Interest History”.

Award History lists all DWP benefit claims for the last few years. It includes start & end dates, the date the claim was received, the date it was awarded, the rate of benefit (including a breakdown of components), the office that dealt with it & a few other things. It's not always 100% accurate & it doesn't show any deductions but I always found it very useful. It does not show Housing Benefit, Tax Credits or any other non DWP benefit.

Interest History is a long list of all interests. It includes all DWP benefits, Debt Management, Fraims (FIS), Tax Credits, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit etc. It also has start & end dates & contact details for the relevant interest holders. It does not show any amounts on this screen.

Like Erika has said different jobs & grades get different levels of access to these type of things, but the last time I had it was when I was a FIS authorised officer so whilst I can't confirm it I'd be surprised if there was a higher level of access available for these 2 screens.

HI

Just wanted to say thanks to people for the posts since I last posted on this thread (about 4 from the bottom). I would click on Erika's bottom-of-her-post icon for saying thanks but it doesn't appear to be showing up on my system; which I mention just incidentally. Thanks to *all* who have posted here.

A new question though maybe this shd be in a new thread - I am really unclear how the tax credits people process a claim, not from the point of view of the technical side of it (seeing if you are eligible, giving out the amount, processing renewal claims, the time of year for this, etc) but from the point of view of anyone assessing whether your claim is legitimate or not (people could be adjusting their income or expenses so as to make them eligible for tax credits - there must be people assessing the likelihood of this kind of thing...). Is that 'looking at the legitimacy of claims' question, something that is merely handled by the usual HMRC people when they evaluate tax returns at the end of the year? After all they know if you are getting tax credits and how much. So maybe it is left to them to make the overall evaluation/s of whether people are putting their details down correctly (both for tax; and for their associated tax credits claim)...does anyone know, or know of any poster on these forums who would be likely to know?! (I know there are some real experts on here but maybe they don't read every thread...in fact it would be impossible for them to do so so they could easily miss this question!). I guess I could pm someone if anyone thought they knew someone who'd know.

But at the end of the day it's just a bit of paranoia here thinking about these things so...I ought not to concern myself with such things I guess...still, I'd be interested to know...

the cis i have seen shows all the claims you have had and are getting, marital details. if your linked with anyone else ie someone is gettin carers allowance etc for looking after you, when a claim started and ended, address tel no previous ones sometimes. dates of birth/death, but other benefit departments ring each other to confirm thing also,

the cis i have seen shows all the claims you have had and are getting, marital details. if your linked with anyone else ie someone is gettin carers allowance etc for looking after you, when a claim started and ended, address tel no previous ones sometimes. dates of birth/death, but other benefit departments ring each other to confirm thing also,

Do they though? I mean as a rule. Someone that stopped getting a benefit years ago (which wouldn't change the amount of a certain other benefit they got elsewhere at the time anyway so they didn't bother letting them know) but when it comes to a time when it WOULD affect the amount of benefit they get elsewhere due to a change in circs, would it be normal practise to leave the computer to just assume they are still getting that benefit? I'm talking 3+ years later. Even though their latest claim form didn't stipulate they get that old benefit? Woudn't that flag up a queary?!

I dont think they do those checks enough myself, just my opinion though.